The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Shift Indicator Light (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=374268)

Hair 11-30-2009 01:07 PM

Shift Indicator Light

Redone my steering column. Auto, 2 speed
I found a little fiberoptic cable in there that ran up to the shift indicator. One end plugs into a light socket and the other end plugs up into the indicator.

I cleaned everything good and put in a new bulb and expected to see a big bright lighted up indicator, but it did not happen. It's just a tiny little light that really doesn't help much. Is that normal?

Is that just as good as it works? Maybe it will show up better in the total dark, but setting in the shop, I wonder why they even bothered.

Hottrucks 11-30-2009 01:49 PM

Re: Shift Indicator Light

LMAO I did the same thing ..subscribed to see what others say...kinda like my heater control light....

chris71 11-30-2009 03:18 PM

You may want to pull the fiber optic cable out and inspect, if it is frayed at all (like mine was when I swaped columns) it wont let as much light to the indicator. there is also a trick where you can put in a different bulb in your gauge cluster to make it brighter, but I cant remember the type of bulb. a bunch of guys do this just to make their dash lights brighter. hopefully someone will chime in with this bulb info.

red71c10 11-30-2009 04:54 PM

I got mine working a while back and it's not spectacular, but it get the job done. I'm not sure I would want it much brighter, it would probably be distracting.

rambler 11-30-2009 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hottrucks (Post 3647031)
LMAO I did the same thing ..subscribed to see what others say...kinda like my heater control light....

you mean there is actually a shift indicator light and a heater control light?

LOL....

Hottrucks 11-30-2009 06:09 PM

yea why is it that the light for the heater A/C is on the other side of the controls oposite side of the fan which is what I wanna see ??...or is there supose o be a light on that side too??

425HP409 12-02-2009 11:55 PM

The end of the fiber optic cable needs to have a clean cut end to transmit the light properly. Take a razor blade and trim the ends smooth and it will work better.

Hair 12-03-2009 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rambler (Post 3647379)
you mean there is actually a shift indicator light and a heater control light?

LOL....

My truck is a non A/C truck, I don't think it has a heater light. I took all the heater out too and re did all of it with new ducts, rubber, and everything and my control box "aint got no" light bulb no where. Do all heaters have lights?? If so, where is the buld supposed to be??

red71c10 12-03-2009 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hair (Post 3652974)
My truck is a non A/C truck, I don't think it has a heater light. I took all the heater out too and re did all of it with new ducts, rubber, and everything and my control box "aint got no" light bulb no where. Do all heaters have lights?? If so, where is the buld supposed to be??

The light is in the controls next to the levers. It lights up the words Def, Heat, Fan etc...

Hair 12-03-2009 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by red71c10 (Post 3653074)
The light is in the controls next to the levers. It lights up the words Def, Heat, Fan etc...

Then mine did not come with lighted heater controls then.

red71c10 12-03-2009 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hair (Post 3653304)
Then mine did not come with lighted heater controls then.

There's no socket on the back of the controls? It looks like a square pot metal box with a round hole that the socket and bulb plug into.

Longhorn Man 12-03-2009 05:40 PM

all heater controls, a/c or non a/c had lights.
Non A/C had a single bulb as described above, A/C trucks had 2 bulbs on the control panel, one left, and one right.

Hottrucks 12-03-2009 07:58 PM

:dohh: thanx Longhorn Man I thought I had something special with just one light on my A/C controls...now I have to spend more time on my back looking under the dash and find a second light socket

Hair 12-03-2009 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by red71c10 (Post 3653502)
There's no socket on the back of the controls? It looks like a square pot metal box with a round hole that the socket and bulb plug into.

Okay, found it. It's a litle bitty bulb, doesn't look as big as even the ones in the dash cluster. I had not plugged it back in. Bulb is bad. Maybe they make a little LED bulb that will fit?... may be brighter.

highperf4x4 12-04-2009 12:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hottrucks (Post 3647391)
yea why is it that the light for the heater A/C is on the other side of the controls oposite side of the fan which is what I wanna see ??...or is there supose o be a light on that side too??

I have lights on both sides. However, mine looks like it has 2 bulbs on the passenger side and only 1 on the drivers side. I'm gonna have to look underneath and verify that though. It's probably just a reflection. I know the passenger side is definitely brighter than the drivers side however, sometimes I have to bump the bottom of the dash to get the pass side to come on :lol: