The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Windshield install on 66????? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=295575)

Cohnny Jash 06-13-2008 11:20 PM

Windshield install on 66?????

So I am going to install a windshield tomorrow on my 66, any tricks or tips that you pros want to share?

I got a piece of original glass and a good binswanger seal and don't feel like dropping the buck 75 that I was quoted to put it in.

chevytrucknut 06-13-2008 11:33 PM

Re: Windshield install on 66?????

First- clean up and file any rough sheetmetal on the pinch weld. this makes it easier to pull your cord and won't mess up your rubber.
Second- put the rubber out in the sun for a while and let it get soft and hot. then place it on the glass and let them sit a while.
Third-get a friend to come and help you with the install.
top corners are the toughest for me. helps to have a friend just gently push inward from outside as you work away from them on the inside.

kdrodworks316 06-13-2008 11:41 PM

A good long cotton rope about a 1/4" and long enough to wrap around the whole windshield rubber in the channel. leave yourself plenty to grab ahold of. really soapy water in a spray bottle. spray the rubber and the frame and dont be shy. a 90 bent icepick or somthing like that will help. get a couple buddys to help push in and hold it in place, firm pressure but spread it out or it will crack. Set the bottom on the frame channel and lay it into the frame. 1 guy inside to pull the rope, 1 or 2 guys outside to push. pull the rope 1 side at a time around the windshield and work the seal onto the frame channel. The pick will be a big help in the corners. go slow and be carefull and it will go right in. remember, lots of soay water makes it a easy job

Cohnny Jash 06-13-2008 11:51 PM

Thanks guys, just the kind of info I am looking for.

It's funny (at least to me it is), I bought my truck while I was in P-Town from a guy in Longview, WA that got it from some folks in Boise. I had it shipped, with the other transpo, when I moved back to Dallas. Just seeing who responded first and where you each are from had a little connection........

Anyway, gotta get the OR tags off and safety inspected in TX, hence the reason for replacing the glass.

Once I get her cleaned up and semi-prom ready (I.E. waxed) I will post some pictures.

Thanks for the input.

joe231 06-14-2008 12:03 AM

WELCOME!
$150 just to install? Wow that is steep. my wife's uncle got a windshield and installed from a local auto glass place for about $160

salazar44 06-14-2008 12:14 AM

You can use WD40

soba_03 06-15-2008 01:44 AM

Hey I'm going to throw my hat in this ring as well getting ready to do my 61 shortly, however I just had the glass in my 68 done, it went right in with the tips above followed. Here is what I WISH I would have done. I pulled mine to clean up the window channel. When I pulled it, it looked like there was seam sealer on the channel before the original seal was installed. I didn't put it back in. But I did run a little bit of silicone under the seal against the windshield after it was in thinking that the rubber seal would keep it from leaking. Well at highway speeds in the rain I get one tiny trickle of water right directly in front of the drivers side. So Research a little I believe that maybe a little seam sealer or something of that fashion may be in order to ensure that there is NO water getting around the seal.....

Good luck.... make sure that your helpers use there flat hand to push/tap/hit the window not the side of there hands... it's the difference between a great install and a cracked window....ask me how I know..

agentofwrath 07-24-2012 01:56 AM

Dumb question, I got a windshield that wont go in the whole way, does the fatter side of the rubber go on the outside or inside?

markeb01 07-24-2012 12:08 PM

This diagram should help. The outside is to the left:

http://img837.imageshack.us/img837/4...dshield005.jpg

agentofwrath 07-24-2012 12:25 PM

awesome, thank you!

SIR 07-24-2012 01:24 PM

you may want to reconsider your plan to "DIY" $175 sounds like money well spent...just my 0.2...

agentofwrath 07-24-2012 01:37 PM

^^ i feel that way now...

sigshooter 07-24-2012 10:42 PM

Top goes in first, even according to the manual. If you try and put the bottom in first it will hit the overhang of the roof. I broke one trying to put the bottom in first. tried top first and it fell right into place