The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Pics of the long distance project... (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=243201)

st1 05-30-2007 03:05 AM

Pics of the long distance project...

5 Attachment(s)
Well I finally got my pictures in the correct size to post, here. I have been building a truck from two trucks. Here are the details thus far: Got the first truck a 79 GMC Stepside in really bad shape. I could see the ground from inside the cab type really bad shape. But I used it as a daily driver, since I was making runs for Toys For Tots. Then I got orders to Hawaii. I bought the second truck off EBay, had is shipped to my builder in North Carolina and then the long distance project starts. Here are the pictures of the truck so far. I had the builder use the frame from the 2wd (first truck) and the cab from the second truck since it was from Arizona. The cab fromt he first truck cam off in 3 pieces (straight to the scrap metal pile).

I will try to post pictures of the wheels, that will be on it once completed. I also went with a Edelbrock Pro Flow EFI Manifold from Jegs. Should be a good smooth runner with that overdrive transmission.

TELL me what you think.....

st1 05-30-2007 03:26 AM

Re: Pics of the long distance project...

1 Attachment(s)
before picture.... and that is the gentlman I purchased the truck from in Portsmouth, VA.

68c-10 05-30-2007 07:57 AM

Nice truck so far. I like the color and the fact that you painted the motor blue, many people don't realize that chevy had blue motors along with the more comon orange.

Malo83 05-30-2007 03:10 PM

She's looking nice:metal:
John

st1 06-01-2007 02:30 AM

Thanks for the kind words... The truck will be painted Smoke (nissan color). with red accents in the interior.

st1 06-02-2007 02:48 PM

1 Attachment(s)
These are the wheels I have for the truck. I think these will look pretty nice and they did not cost me an arm and leg. I just need to get some bands and center cap.

st1 06-02-2007 02:55 PM

1 Attachment(s)
this is the manifold I was talking about in the first post....

Curly86 06-03-2007 08:00 AM

:metal: Very sweet looking and a great choice on the wheels old school. This my project 86 Silverado with ralley wheels with knockoffs. Keep us posted

knightlife 06-03-2007 08:35 AM

I like that manifold setup you are intending on using bro...where by chance are you acquiring it...for those looking at picking one up..

truck looks awesome so far! keep up the great work!

st1 06-06-2007 01:21 AM

Thanks again. The manifold you can get from Jegs.com (as I did). Its not my handy work just my hard earned dollars talking. I am in Hawaii and the truck is in North Carolina being built.

st1 11-13-2007 01:17 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Well I know that this is well overdue, but here are the pictures from Aug timeframe.

st1 11-13-2007 01:26 AM

4 Attachment(s)
more pictures from August...

st1 11-13-2007 01:56 AM

Happy Birthday Marines, 232 years young.

spudz 11-13-2007 08:48 AM

looks good!! And I like the blue motor, GM Corporate blue.....me likes!

old Rusty C10 11-13-2007 11:27 AM

looks great! who are you using as a builder in NC?
when do you figure you will be out there tearing up the streets?

st1 11-14-2007 01:34 AM

Thanks spudz.

The truck is in Providence NC at Tommy Meadows home garage. He is actually a retired mechinist working on his own time. Hard to tell when I will be driving. I am guessing in another 6 to 9 months. Then I got to figure out how to get it out here.

st1 05-16-2009 01:47 PM

Okay I know its been almost 2 years, but I been busy. I am in Afghanistan and my truck should be completed by the end of this month. I dont have any pictures to post right now, but when I do I will post them for all to see. Its been a long time coming, but I should be driving the truck in July. More to come but first I got to get out of Afghanistan.....

old Rusty C10 05-16-2009 02:19 PM

look forward to seeing the finished product and your return. Im going to assume youre in the military and just a heartfelt thank you for what youre doing for the rest of us here stateside

Driveway Dreams 05-16-2009 04:24 PM

First things first: THANK YOU!
Secondly: Truck looks like it is coming along nicely. Great progress it seems.

79Silv4x4 05-16-2009 06:24 PM

:flagw::flagw:
Quote:

Originally Posted by old Rusty C10 (Post 3312766)
I'm going to assume youre in the military and just a heartfelt thank you for what youre doing for the rest of us here stateside

Ditto, thanks for your service. :flagw:

tvblazer78 05-17-2009 10:42 AM

Yep I am with them man, Thank you!:metal:

st1 05-17-2009 02:57 PM

Yes, I am a Marine doing a short 6 months here in Afghanistan. I say short because the Army is doing a year or 15 months. They hate it that we dont stay so long, but there are units or sections of Marines that stay for a year at a time. THANK YOU for standing behind those that serve (if you agree with the politics or not WE need your support). I had hoped to get more pictures before I leave here, but honestly my builder is a low-tech type of guy (not sure if he owns a computer), he knows his way around a tool box, though. Eitherway, when I get them I will post them. Until then, I will decide if I want to put in a posi-tract rearend or leave it as is and see if I am going to my next duty station just to come right back out here again. Life is full of choices... make good choices.

st1 08-25-2009 10:56 PM

Okay, I have the truck. I picked it up from NC and drove it to West Va. Then from West Va to Atlanta. Then from Atlanta to Oceanside, Ca. I have had a blast driving it even though it does not have A/C or a radio (windows down with the flowmasters blasting sound so good!!!!). the only issue I have had so far is when I got some bad gas somewhere in Texas and that thing was spitting and backfiring and I actually had to pull over and let it sit for a few minutes. It does burn oil, I checked it at every fill up and I was putting oil in it almost every other fill up. I will post pictures once I get it cleaned and find a nice background. That 350 with the Eldelbrock Pro Flow EFI manifold throws people for a curve with I pop the hood and people love how it sounds (flowmaster mufflers exit right infront of the rear wheels).

I am happy with the truck but like most of you I have a few things I want to change/upgrade already.

Looking for a good mechanic, suspension man, a paint/body shop in the Oceanside, Ca area.

dan76 08-25-2009 11:12 PM

Welcome back.

If you're ever in Utah, give a shout and we'll find a beer or two.

st1 08-28-2009 11:16 PM

Thank you. It feels good to be back on US soil!!!!