The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=211)
-   -   Crossbreed (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=736217)

stangtjk 04-23-2017 07:42 PM

Crossbreed

3 Attachment(s)
Picked this up around March 2016. I've made a few posts in the "what did you do to you blazer today" thread and decided to start a build thread to share all the progress.

Let's start with the purchase. I found it on Craigslist within an hour drive from me. Guy was moving and getting rid of some of his projects. This was listed as a package deal. Two 4x4 blazers and a 2wd C10 long bed for $6500. I wish i could have taken them all but I don't have the space for two extra junkers (they were both really rough). Ended up walking away with this 72 blazer for $5500 which was fair but damn I wish I the space for all three.

I've wanted a convertible 4x4 for a while and when I found this in my price range I jumped on it.

A year worth of progress will follow shortly. Looking back through my photos I didn't do a great job documenting up to this point but there's still lots more to come. Below is how it looked right after I bought it.

7" lift (4" suspension 3" body), worn out Mickey Thompson 36x14.50s on 16.5" rims, supposed fresh rebuilt 350 with 400HP (yeah right) and 3/4 ton axles (14 bolt rear and 8 lug 10 bolt up front)

stangtjk 04-23-2017 08:22 PM

Re: Crossbreed

5 Attachment(s)
So the intention when I purchased this was to build a cheap truck for a 4x4 challenge between a few of my friends...

When I bought the truck the guy fired it right up but after I had it towed home I tried to get it started several times over the course of three days and just​ couldn't​ make it happen. I guess he knew the trick..

I pulled the carb and rebuilt it. First time rebuilding a carb so I was a bit apprehensive at first but it's really not that complicated so away I went. Got it all cleaned up and put back together. Popped it back on and....... Woohoo success.. fired right up...

At this point I'm thinking hell yeah, I'll be driving this around in no time (hah).... That thought was quickly remedied just minutes later when I started seeing oil dripping under the truck. It was running down the transmission. Let it run for a bit while I figured out where it was coming from and finally tracked it down. Oil was just pumping out between the intake and block in the valley behind the distributor.

So now I'm pulling the intake... Turns out whoever installed it didn't use enough rtv across the valley and there was a spot where the intake never made contact.

stangtjk 04-23-2017 08:38 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Well hell you pulled the intake... why not pull the whole motor and pretty it up real quick? Ok we'll do that. And in the process found some stripped threads in the intake so replace it and the water pump just because it's cheap and I had it off anyway. Frame off restoration still isn't on my mind... Just want to get it driving.

stangtjk 04-23-2017 08:57 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Next up... transmission and transfer case we're a bit leaky so rebuilt those too... another first for me. They have yet to make it back in.

If you're like me you scrolled to see the photos before reading. If you noticed the bell housing change between pictures 3 and 4 congrats, you spotted my first f*** up. Had the trans all back together after the rebuild and rolled it off my work bench. Landed right on the peak of the bell housing and cracked it. So had to choose on replacing the trans or cut off the bell housing and install one of the bolt on bell housings... Obviously I chose the latter.

stangtjk 04-23-2017 09:00 PM

Well that's all the drivetrain work... We'll talk about rust next.... Still not planning a frame off resto. (Spoiler frame is off)

hemi43 04-24-2017 10:19 AM

I didn't even know they sold a bellhousing like that ! How was the old one machined off? How is the new one mounted?
Goof-off by the gallon ? HAHA, all I've ever seen here in Canada is those tiny little metal cans. Something else we can't get north of the border.

stangtjk 04-24-2017 11:34 AM

The old bell housing was cut off with a sawzall and cleaned up with a grinder. The new one bolts on over top of the pump using the same bolt holes. These bell housings are made for drag racing and what not to act as a scatter shield in case your fly wheel flies apart. These are thick enough to a stop it unlike the paper thin stock bell housing.

stangtjk 04-24-2017 10:50 PM

5 Attachment(s)
So about that rust.... Rocker boxes were practically falling out but the truck did come with a new set. Floor needed the outers patched which became obvious after removing the nice new rockers someone slapped on to cover it up. Here is some of the carnage.

stangtjk 04-24-2017 10:57 PM

3 Attachment(s)
And repairs... Welded the floor patch right below the first bend and after grinding the weld you can barely tell it's a patch.

jaros44sr 04-25-2017 09:00 AM

very nice work, you're right, can't see the seam. the only thing that might cause you problems is the worm drive clamp on the fuel filter, being plastic you might collapse the inlet, they were designed for a spring clamp

Keep up the good work!!!!

Are your tetanus shots up to date?

stangtjk 04-25-2017 08:44 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks, the fuel filter was from the previous owner and wont be sticking around next time the motor goes in. It's actually probably already been tossed out along with the rusty chrome line going into the carb. I'll probably mount a new filter on the hard line along the frame somewhere when the time comes. I don't like hose clamps anywhere really. Speaking of.. I learned this trick a while back, all you need is some cres tie wire and a pop rivet gun.

stangtjk 04-25-2017 09:01 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Little more rust repairs.... Driver's side floor wasn't as seamless as the passengers side since the rust already made its way past the rocker. The quarter had a weird patch of Swiss cheese in it... Though that was an odd place for it to rust out, rest of it was pretty solid.... Anywhere you see the green self etch rattle can primer is where I've already stripped it to bare metal and just spayed that on there temporarily while I work on it. It'll all get stripped again eventually and hit with a coat of epoxy primer. The etch primer actually sticks pretty good but I've grown not to trust any coating that comes out of a rattle can.

stangtjk 04-25-2017 09:12 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Repairs to the forward part of the quarters... Got a little overzealous trying to planish the weld on the driver's side and created little high spots all over (still learning). I've got one of those shrinking discs but haven't​ had a chance to get back to that spot. I'll revisit it again down the road and report back how it turned out.

stangtjk 04-25-2017 09:15 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Oh yeah, had to patch these areas on both sides before doing the fwd quarter patches shown above. Not sure why these are showing up rotated they are oriented correctly on my phone.

stangtjk 04-25-2017 09:20 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Another little patch on the firewall.

stangtjk 04-25-2017 09:23 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Was proud of this patch... Not because it looks exceptionally good but the fact that it was made using just a vise, block of wood and a hammer and dolly.

stangtjk 04-25-2017 09:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Looks like I didn't snap a shot of the before and after on this patch but this quarter panel patch was a bit frustrating. Ended up buying 3 different types of patch panel before I got one thatwas passable. Apparently they don't bother stamping that extra detail around the edge of the fender on most of them.

stangtjk 04-25-2017 09:34 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Oooh something exiting going down...... Nope more patches....

stangtjk 04-25-2017 09:40 PM

2 Attachment(s)
First image is a patch the PO put in the floor of the bed... So close to doing a decent job compared to the other hacked up messes that were left behind. Cranked the welder up a little bit higher and went around and filled all the holes he left and gave it a bit better penetration.

stangtjk 04-25-2017 09:44 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Doors getting some attention... Both doors needed the fwd and aft corners patched inside and out.

stangtjk 04-25-2017 09:55 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I'll end on a high note..... Or not... Wish I could say I forgot that this happened. See the extension cords right behind the tool box? Was rolling it and as soon as a wheel caught one of those she toppled right over. About that time a solicitor came up to my garage door and started yapping as I was trying to upright the tool box, needless to say he didn't get my friendlier side.

Walter White 04-25-2017 10:13 PM

:metal:

raggedjim 04-25-2017 10:42 PM

Nice work on the blazer, you're doing some good work. I need to start a build thread, but I work so slow it would drag on for years, and I hate to rush!

As far as the tool box, things like that happen. I was using the grinder with a cutoff wheel and set it down on my drop light cord before it stopped... threw a few sparks and kicked the breaker.

Keep it up, Rg

DeadheadNM 04-25-2017 10:56 PM

Strong work. I'm on board.

Tom Vogel 04-26-2017 09:04 AM

Re tool box. Man, I thought that stuff only happened to me.