The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Brake line confusion!! (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=786833)

Sspirawk 05-13-2019 10:07 PM

Brake line confusion!!

So have front disc and converting to rear disc. And am having a helluva time figuring out what lines to order, 72 long bed, coils, 2wd. Any help would be appreciated

Scott

LockDoc 05-14-2019 01:47 AM

Re: Brake line confusion!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sspirawk (Post 8525134)
So have front disc and converting to rear disc. And am having a helluva time figuring out what lines to order, 72 long bed, coils, 2wd. Any help would be appreciated

Scott

Bend your own.

I have started using a product called NICOPP. It is a nickel/copper line that is much softer than steel and it bends and flares much easier. It won't rust and you can get coated fittings for it too. I have had good luck getting it to seal with a minimum of torque on the fittings. If you type "NICOPP brake line" into Google Search you will see who handles it in your area. It is a little more expensive but worth it as far as I'm concerned......

The smaller stuff you can bend by hand and you can flare it holding the old style flaring tool in your hands. If you make a mistake bending it you just straighten it back out and start over... And the best part is, it doesn't rust.

LockDoc

Mbeef61 05-14-2019 01:59 AM

Used the nicopp for my fuel lines. Good stuff

Ganty101 05-14-2019 03:27 AM

Agree with lockdoc. Doing your own is the way to go!

lolife99 05-14-2019 03:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sspirawk (Post 8525134)

Scott

IF you HAVE to buy new brake lines,... I would think a standard set of disc/drum brake lines would work from the front to the rearend.
Then you could just bend the two lines for the REAR disc brake hoses to connect to.
The real question is what proportioning valve are you using?
A disc/disc oem type or an aftermarket adjustable, plumbed into the rear brake line?
That will tell you how many "custom" brake lines you will have to fabricate.

rockyrivermark 05-14-2019 07:22 AM

I did this last year.
I added rear disc conversion from little shop manufacturing.
1970 c10 short bed
bought all new stainless steel, pre bent from
inlinetube.com
perfect fit and for $200 for stainless was a good deal in my opinion.
thanks, Mark

Sspirawk 05-15-2019 05:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lolife99 (Post 8525263)
IF you HAVE to buy new brake lines,... I would think a standard set of disc/drum brake lines would work from the front to the rearend.
Then you could just bend the two lines for the REAR disc brake hoses to connect to.
The real question is what proportioning valve are you using?
A disc/disc oem type or an aftermarket adjustable, plumbed into the rear brake line?
That will tell you how many "custom" brake lines you will have to fabricate.

Disc,disc OEM type, is what I will be using

lolife99 05-15-2019 05:44 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sspirawk (Post 8525850)
Disc,disc OEM type, is what I will be using

I would imagine you will still have to bend your own lines in a few places.
Those oem style disc/disc will usually have two "out going" front ports so they will work on the 73-87 applications.

The 67-72 trucks utilize just one "out going" port from the prop valve, (you will have to plug the other one).
The front steel line then "t's" behind the crossmember and one line each, goes to each front wheel.

SB'72 05-15-2019 12:51 PM

About 5 yrs ago I used Inline Tube, quality stuff.

69-72 05-16-2019 06:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I just did mine with Inline Tube. Nearly every fuel and brake line where bent wrong and they sent the wrong brake cables. They are very difficult to deal with. Half the reviews I hear are good, half really bad. a 50/50 chance isn't something I want to risk my money with in the future.

I'm stuck trying to figure out how to resolve this myself.

Jason Banks 05-16-2019 06:41 PM

20 years ago I bought lines from inline tube and they were wrong. They had me send my original lines to them to duplicate and they came back barely acceptable. Since then...I have made my own lines.

However, I do recall the last time I did front lines with the truck fully assembled it was an ordeal.