The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=115)
-   -   Project Janus (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=639722)

soundqdoug 08-15-2014 09:38 PM

Project Janus

Hey there guys and gals...I've been lurking around here for quite some time, figured I should go ahead and start a thread for my new project "Janus". This project is a bit different than most on here, as I am active duty Navy and haven't been able to be around to do alot of work on it. The truck is being built at a local shop in Missouri, while I'm stationed in California. The project was started while I was forward deployed in Africa. I will post pictures as they come from my builder, so be patient.

soundqdoug 08-15-2014 10:03 PM

Re: Project Janus

4 Attachment(s)
Here are some shots of the truck the day I picked it up. It looked alright, drove alright, and stopped alright, but didn't do anything exceptional, which is to be expected.

soundqdoug 08-15-2014 10:10 PM

5 Attachment(s)
The truck had a 327 with a Muncie 4spd installed at some point. It, surprisingly, started like an EFI engine.

soundqdoug 08-15-2014 10:21 PM

5 Attachment(s)
I found a set of buddy buckets which were relatively close, and I couldn't pass them up. Luckily I have a really good friend that does incredible upholstery work locally.

soundqdoug 08-15-2014 10:23 PM

2 Attachment(s)
The seats may look really rough to you guys, but they will be refoamed and wrapped in red ultraleather with some really cool french seams and other top secret hues, stay tuned.

soundqdoug 08-15-2014 10:31 PM

5 Attachment(s)
I picked up a couple good doors and lowered the truck with a CPP 2/4 kit. Unfortunately, not happy at all with the stance...air is in the future.

soundqdoug 08-15-2014 11:01 PM

Here are some tentative plans for this build:

Body
-replace full floor, rockers, door pillars, kick panels, toe boards
-reskin doors and shave trim holes
-clean up firewall, shave wire channel, replace outer cowls with donor panel
-replace drip rails, replace roof with donor panel
-shave fuel door, stake pockets, reflectors
-shorten front bumper to fit body, rechrome
-make all gaps to OCD standards
Suspension
-replace CPP suspension with air ride
-build one-off tubular control arms and trailing arms
-Wilwood brakes (rotors, calipers, master cylinder, prop valve)
-CPP modular spindles
-fix rust in frame rails, weld-in notches, powdercoat chassis
-replace all other suspension goodies with Moog components
Drivetrain
-5.3 LS rebuilt with Holley bolt ons
-4L60E rebuilt by Transmissions To Go (Arnold MO)
-150Tunes.com harness and PCM flash
Interior
-custom interior by Ross Johns
-red ultra-leather wrapped dash pad, rewrap seats, leather door panels
-custom textile carpet
-full audio (McIntosh head unit, Audiofrog speakers, JBL amps, Helix DSP)
-Hushmat sound deadening (~200 sq ft)
-Classic Instrument G-Stock gauges
-OEM tilt column (out of a van I think?)
-Billet Specialties steering wheel (matching leather wrapped hoop)
Wheel/Tire
-Bonspeed Clutch 20x8.5 & 20x10
-Toyo Proxes 255/40/20 & 295/40/20
Misc
-Brothers Trucks one-piece glass
-all new stainless trim
-Truck-Lite LED headlights
-Marquez LED taillights

soundqdoug 08-17-2014 03:07 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Got the front clip, drivetrain, and bed removed to begin deconstruction. Sold the clip and bed for craigslist like 20mins after posting. Lots of rust in the door pillars and cowls, lots.

soundqdoug 08-17-2014 03:18 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Update: picked up some parts at a local C10 guy, he has like 15 C10 parts trucks...crazy. Also, got more deconstruction done, coincidentally found more rust, surprise surprise. One piece full floor in paint booth in back of picture too, well worth the money IMO.

soundqdoug 08-17-2014 03:25 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Update: Got some front end stuff back from blasting, turned out great...always a good day when parts look better after blasting!

Hardesty454 08-17-2014 11:14 PM

Looks good. Is that a spare bed ??

soundqdoug 08-18-2014 12:48 AM

No, I sold the black bed on craigslist.

soundqdoug 08-18-2014 05:53 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Ready for rust pics? This cab is full of it! Like I mentioned before, the cowls and door posts are really bad, but we'll rebuild all that, no need to through this cab away. The previous owner, one of them, had a bunch of aluminum patch panels in the floor and kick panels riveted in, making the rust issues underneath way worse.

soundqdoug 08-18-2014 05:59 PM

5 Attachment(s)
More rust! I even found a piece named "Butt Hole"!

soundqdoug 08-18-2014 06:04 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Got the cab blown apart, built a cool little cab dolly, and it's ready for blasting!

soundqdoug 08-18-2014 06:05 PM

By the way, if anyone out there is interested in a cab or bed dolly, we can build one specific for you, raw or powdercoated. The cab or bed bolt directly on it with locking casters...really nice stuff.

soundqdoug 08-18-2014 06:22 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Got the cab loaded up on the trailer to go to blasting, picked up my buddy bucket parts from the powdercoater as well.

soundqdoug 08-18-2014 06:31 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Cab back from blasting. It turned out pretty good...the roof is in pretty bad shape, rockers have like a gallon of bondo in each. Now the fun stuff begins!

soundqdoug 08-18-2014 06:35 PM

3 Attachment(s)
One last pic of the blasted cab. Also, got the frame blown apart, getting shipped to blasting soon.

soundqdoug 08-18-2014 06:40 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Here's a post for you boat guys. Upgraded audio in a nice boat down at Lake of the Ozarks. All the pods were hand made, gel coated, color matched.

soundqdoug 08-18-2014 06:51 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Floor time! (disclaimer: these photos may be shocking to some viewers)

soundqdoug 08-18-2014 06:52 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Floor (cont'd and finished) Not bad for 8hrs of work!

soundqdoug 08-18-2014 06:58 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Had to take a break from metal work and get the tweeters in my daily truck mounted, but of course, went way overboard...turned out really well.

soundqdoug 08-18-2014 07:03 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Got frame back from blasting, it had the common bad spots in front of the rear spring crossmember area...so welded in new metal, and welded in the notches.

soundqdoug 08-18-2014 07:09 PM

3 Attachment(s)
More pics of the chassis work. Got the transmission crossmember mocked up. Also, found out the trailing arms were pretty bad, splitting apart etc, so we are going to build a pair with bag cups integrated (may even market them for the public later). Also, got the rear bags mocked up.