The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   how to remove the oil pickup tube from the oil pump? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=204313)

cell 07-01-2006 07:21 PM

how to remove the oil pickup tube from the oil pump?

I need to move my oil pickup tube from the old pump to the new pump. Based on the new pump, it looks like a press fit. Should I just take this to a machine shop, have them pull the old tube (how would they do this?), and press it into the new oil pump?

this is in a 292 inline 6.

JimKshortstep4x4 07-01-2006 07:41 PM

Re: how to remove the oil pickup tube from the oil pump?

I would suggest that you install a new pick up into your new pump. By the time you get the old one out, the press fit will be affected and if you install it into the new pump, it could be a loose fit instead of a press fit.

Jim

cdowns 07-01-2006 07:45 PM

yeh i too vote on a new pickup tube and i always tack weld them to the oil pump housing also

jamesi20 07-01-2006 10:00 PM

I just removed mine today. I took a block of wood and cut a notch in it,put it over the tube as close as I could get it to the pump and a couple of light taps later it was out.

glock35ipsc 07-01-2006 10:05 PM

I agree with cdowns. Pickups are fairly cheap. Push in the new one, or the old one if you are going to reuse it. The, install the pump, set the gasket inplace and set the pan on to adjust the gap. Then tack weld in place. I always tack weld them on if I use the old one again.

mbgmike 07-02-2006 08:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glock35ipsc
I agree with cdowns. Pickups are fairly cheap. Push in the new one, or the old one if you are going to reuse it. The, install the pump, set the gasket inplace and set the pan on to adjust the gap. Then tack weld in place. I always tack weld them on if I use the old one again.

I agree also:) . They make a tool to remove it. On the cheap you can use a open end wrench with a hammer (if your careful). But as said above., use a new one and tack it on.

jec 07-02-2006 10:27 AM

I have tack welded many new pick-ups on small block pumps, however, I recently found a Melling product with a bolt on pickup.

The pump/pickup is made for stock oil pans. Melling part numbers 10555 and 12557. I bought mine from Summit Racing a couple of years ago.