The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans and PanelsProjects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=212)
-   -   '71 Burb Build "The Family Car" (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=475155)

Heavy Evy 07-18-2011 01:19 AM

'71 Burb Build "The Family Car"

5 Attachment(s)
I figure its about damn time I started a build thread. I just want everyone to know this will not be a nut and bolt frame up resto. I don't have the means place or money for a full blown restoration and I use my rigs for work and play so there will no trailer queens besides I prefer rust and flat paint anyway ;). I'm a 23 year old working stiff and have already done most of the stuff Im going to post but I will keep an update on the future endeavors. I bought my burb back in november of 2010 after browsing the local classified's. I wasn't looking for another project or rig but I loved the look of this pile. I called the dude up and set a time when I could look at it up close. The burb was in Idaho Falls, Idaho about 500-550 mile round trip from Salt Lake City, Utah. I fell inlove at the first sight of this thing and made him an offer after hearing all the old war stories about the burb he did not accept so I offered 100 bucks more he still said no so I went home burbless :(. I was pretty upset he didn't take my offer and it was a long ride home so it just festered and made me remember when I was a kid that my dad had the chance to buy a 67 burb for cheap. He didn't jump on it and it has haunted him to this day. I vowed then to get a burb before I die and not let anymore pass me up. The following weekend I was watching football with my dad after a long day at work and I got a call from the dude with the burb saying he made a mistake and he'll take my offer. I told him its not like im just down the street and can come get it you should have taken my offer then he said he felt terrible for not taking my offer and wanted me to have the burb and said he would hold it for me. So the next weekend we went back up north and I got a '71 C10 Burb. I had to top the fluids off halfway through the trip as I didn't check them bofore I left and im sure they were low then. We hit a blizzard coming home and there was carnage all over the highways and about 40 miles from my house I hit a hydraplain and did a 360 on the freeway. I thought I was going to lose my new burb but im a good driver and know how to handle these rigs well. Good thing it was 2am and there was no cars around or that would have been ugly. I got home and stood in the street for a minute looking at the burb talking to my friend about how I almost lost it (he saw it happen from his rearview mirror) then called it a night. The next day it went into storage till I sold my Jimmy. I sold my jimmy 2 weeks after and I have been daily driving my burb since. The Burb is a 71 C10 with 350/350 combo. all original and pretty lowend except for the tilt wheel (YES!) 67-72 chev/gmc trucks are the best rigs on the planet and im lucky enough to have two. One of which I was raised in but thats a story for another day. Hope you all enjoy!!

Heavy Evy 07-18-2011 01:20 AM

Re: '71 Burb Build "The Family Car"

2 Attachment(s)
A few more pics of when I first bought it

Heavy Evy 07-18-2011 01:27 AM

5 Attachment(s)
First of the body work getting done

Heavy Evy 07-18-2011 01:41 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Time for some fun. This was the first mod I did to my burb after doing the normal tune up oil change etc. I Got some free time one day at work and went to town lowering my burb It took me about 3 hours with the alignment(quite a few shims). I got the 2 inch front drop springs from a local board member and the 4 inch rear drop springs from VA72C10. I also put my junkyard rallys and homemade "custom" center caps on Pics? yes please!

Heavy Evy 07-18-2011 01:43 AM

5 Attachment(s)
more lowered and rim pics

Heavy Evy 07-18-2011 01:44 AM

3 Attachment(s)
even more!!

Heavy Evy 07-18-2011 01:49 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Back in April I took the burb to Boise Idaho for its first road trip since I bought it. I put about 1000 miles on with that trip and didn't have a problem except for 9 miles to the a gallon average......:waah:

Heavy Evy 07-18-2011 01:55 AM

4 Attachment(s)
After that road trip I decided it was time to do something about my crumbling cripped brittle ole steering wheel. I ordered a nice wood grant one from jegs with the adapter. I also made a cool plaque that day with a clutter of spare parts I had after I installed my wheel hope you like!

Heavy Evy 07-18-2011 01:58 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I almost forgot this pic of a burb I saw around the corner from my Grandma's house in Boise, Idaho. I didn't get to talk to the owner but its pretty clean machine.

Heavy Evy 07-18-2011 02:02 AM

Last month (June) I did something about my fuel mileage and got dual exhaust for my burb. The stock single restricted the hell out of the 350 and I noticed better performance mileage and tone right away! Hooray for 2 and 1/4 flowmaster knock off mufflers!

Heavy Evy 07-18-2011 02:07 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Today, well yesterday since its midnight now I decided to "jazz" my gauge cluster up after reading longhornmans $50 mod thread (great thread!) I took my cluster apart and whitened it up as well as painted my needles. Only cost me 2 bucks which was for the paint. What do ya think?

gcburdic 07-18-2011 09:40 AM

That looks great Heavy Evy...I think it's funny that the guy called you back and said he made a mistake for not taking your offer:lol: Glad you got it, and glad it's a rollin resto....I'm continuing my persistance with my wife about getting a burb....my alma mater is assembling a football team and I want one for tailgating!!!:metal: wish me luck I hope to have it by 2013 for the inaugural season:D

Heavy Evy 07-18-2011 12:59 PM

football team and burbs? count me in. i'm a defensive linemen. i'm glad the guy called me back. burb's are extremely hard to find especially in my neck of the wood. when you find one jump on it!
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device

Heavy Evy 07-18-2011 09:56 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Here's some random pics I took sometime between march and april on an old dirt road. I thought the railroad was cool.

Heavy Evy 07-18-2011 10:06 PM

4 Attachment(s)
I got two days off in a row which doesn't happen very often but after I spent most of the day lounging I got a second wind around 6 o' clock and decided to paint my gear indicator. It was very faded and scratched up so I cleaned it and spray bombed it with an old rattle can I had laying around. I also took some pics in the driveway while the indicator was drying. I washed my burb last night to keep the rust clean. Patina Rules!!!

gcburdic 07-18-2011 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Heavy Evy (Post 4797853)
Here's some random pics I took sometime between march and april on an old dirt road. I thought the railroad was cool.

Awesome pictures...those snow capped mountains in the background are very cool as well!!!:metal:

1971BB427 07-19-2011 12:51 PM

Great looking Burb! But I'm confused; what do the BBC valve covers go to????

Heavy Evy 07-19-2011 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1971BB427 (Post 4798998)
Great looking Burb! But I'm confused; what do the BBC valve covers go to????

there for that 427 your going to give me out of that camaro. i got them cheap from a dude down the street from me they were going on a 396 i was going to put in my nova but plans changed and im big blockless
Posted via Mobile Device

1971BB427 07-19-2011 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Heavy Evy (Post 4799290)
there for that 427 your going to give me out of that camaro. i got them cheap from a dude down the street from me they were going on a 396 i was going to put in my nova but plans changed and im big blockless
Posted via Mobile Device

What a terrible plight; to be big blockless! :)

Heavy Evy 07-19-2011 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1971BB427 (Post 4799602)
What a terrible plight; to be big blockless! :)

I don't mind. Everytime I was suppose to do anything with a big block something came up or it was too good of a deal to be true. I guess im just ment to be a small block man which is fine for me cause they never let me down.

1971BB427 07-19-2011 09:04 PM

Yep, hard to beat a smallblock, but then my 427 hasn't let me down in the last 38 yrs either!

NTR72GMC 07-20-2011 12:11 AM

Sweet burb! What shop do you work for?
Posted via Mobile Device

Heavy Evy 07-20-2011 11:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1971BB427 (Post 4799885)
Yep, hard to beat a smallblock, but then my 427 hasn't let me down in the last 38 yrs either!

Oh I bet! 427 is the best big block chev made and my personal favorite. I want one someday. an original not no 454 with a 396 crank crap.

QUOTE=NTR72GMC;4800400]Sweet burb! What shop do you work for?
Posted via Mobile Device[/QUOTE]

Thanks. Lets just say I work for a big tire company but im looking for new work cause im tired of fixing other fools piles its ruining my motivation to get anything done on mine.

NTR72GMC 07-20-2011 02:40 PM

Quote:

Thanks. Lets just say I work for a big tire company but im looking for new work cause im tired of fixing other fools piles its ruining my motivation to get anything done on mine.

I understand that. My dad has been a mechanic for 40+ years and when he got home from work he never wanted to work on his own cars.
The reason I asked what shop you worked for is (I run deliveries for my work) I swear I've seen your black truck parked at a shop before I just can't remember what shop.

Heavy Evy 07-20-2011 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NTR72GMC (Post 4801237)
I understand that. My dad has been a mechanic for 40+ years and when he got home from work he never wanted to work on his own cars.
The reason I asked what shop you worked for is (I run deliveries for my work) I swear I've seen your black truck parked at a shop before I just can't remember what shop.

Its possible. I been driving that rig to this shop for 4 and a 1/2 years. What kind of stuff are you delivering?