The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Hydro assist brakes (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=482177)

bigd65 08-30-2011 08:31 PM

Hydro assist brakes

Just trying to gets halls outlook on them. I have been contemplating getting rid of the hydro assist brake for the conventional vacuum booster brakes. What do y'all think
Posted via Mobile Device

my4by2 08-30-2011 09:41 PM

Re: Hydro assist brakes

Why would you though? Hydra-boost systems are far more powerful & efficient that vacuum set-ups are... Plus, if you plan to run a large cam with low vacuum or anything, the brakes won't get affected. Just my 2 cents worth on it.

kwin 08-30-2011 10:21 PM

Agreed! Takes up less space, works better, you would be stepping backward to get rid of it. There is a reason that hydro boost is a popular swap on other vehicles.

KEEP IT!

Altec 08-30-2011 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by my4by2 (Post 4873253)
Why would you though? Hydra-boost systems are far more powerful & efficient that vacuum set-ups are... Plus, if you plan to run a large cam with low vacuum or anything, the brakes won't get affected. Just my 2 cents worth on it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kwin (Post 4873393)
Agreed! Takes up less space, works better, you would be stepping backward to get rid of it. There is a reason that hydro boost is a popular swap on other vehicles.

KEEP IT!

Nothing I can add...

71swb4x4 08-30-2011 10:25 PM

I did the opposite, got rid of the vacuum and installed the hydro-boost. Couldn't be happier. Never in my wildest dreams would I consider investing time or money to get rid of them.

Cherub 08-30-2011 11:37 PM

Im one that was wondering the opposite. From everyones comments i hear that going to hydroboost would be a great option.

H8PVMNT 08-30-2011 11:48 PM

We just bought an '88 with hydroboost and it stops better than my '08. Good system, why change it?

SCOTI 08-31-2011 12:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigd65 (Post 4873081)
Just trying to gets halls outlook on them. I have been contemplating getting rid of the hydro assist brake for the conventional vacuum booster brakes. What do y'all think

It really depends on why you're contemplating getting rid of them. The non-debated 'pro' as others have stated is greater pedal pressure w/less effort vs. vacuum boost applications.

The debatable or subjective stuff:

Unaffected in low vacuum applications? Big cam applications typically have a somewhat choppy, inconsistent idle. I've owned or ridden in more than one car w/a 'big' cam & the power steering was less than stellar @ low speed. That same power steering pump would be what's pressurizing your brakes. Of course this was years ago when I was younger so it was possibly the set-ups not being ideal. My point is I've seen more than one cam grind w/the disclaimer "not recommended for power accessory applications".

Takes up less space? Visually (looking @ the firewall), maybe. Realistically though, where the base bracket of each booster contacts the firewall, they utilize the exact same holes & thus have the same 'foot-print'. You would have several hydraulic hoses running from the firewall down to the front of the motor w/the HB set-up that the vacuum set-up doesn't have. You usually also have a larger capacity fluid reservior that a vacuum set-up doesn't have. Visually to me, those exta items are just as bad as the vacuum 'can' & thus a wash (as well as more places for fluid leaks).

Popular, common swap, in 'other' vehicles? Installing brakes that offer increased clamping force over vacuum in big trucks (or trucks w/large x huge diameter wheels) makes sense. High perf cars w/less than adequate braking systems? Sure. Smaller 1/2 ton swb trucks though? My old 74 could lock the brakes up easily w/ just vacuum assist. Swapping to even more clamping force would have yielded a brake set-up that was too 'touchy' in my application. Locking up sooner does not equate to better braking performance; controlled application of the braking force is better braking.

The HB system is definitely an improvement for many applications; but I don't think it's an 'absolute' better swap.

bigd65 08-31-2011 08:18 PM

Thanks I think it'll stay
Posted via Mobile Device

SCOTI 08-31-2011 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigd65 (Post 4874955)
Thanks I think it'll stay

I wouldn't get rid of them if the system functioned correctly unless the asthetics really bothered you.

The reasons I did the swap on mine were all of the crimped hoses were leaking as well an eyesore IMO, the steering pump was leaking, & the accumulator did not work. I priced a LAPS rebuilt HB unit, steering pump, & new custom hoses for better asthetic routing. It was significantly more (4x more) than the <$100 for a rebuilt vacuum booster. I already had a rebuilt vac boost unit w/very limited use from one of my other trucks so the swap so far has been free (free is good when evaluating something).

I'll give the vacuum a try & see how it fares. If I feel the braking pressure is not adequate for my application, I'll spend the money to freshen the HB w/some custom lines to improve the under hood visual appeal.

cableguy0 08-31-2011 10:27 PM

Hydroboost is a blessing with my very rowdy small block. Duration is 246/252@ .050. Vacuum is all but non existent. Brakes work awesome all the time. No more running out of vacuum and having a rock hard brake pedal. I can lock the wheels up at will.

jimbonice 09-01-2011 12:40 PM

All things being equal, such as the age and repair of the respective systems, hydroboost brakes are better for stopping large loads in large trucks. Greater pedal pressure and clamping pressures, work in low vacuum environments such as just off idle pulling heavy loads, or big cams or diesels. But I've owned a lot of 3/4 ton and 1 tons that just had vacuum assist and they worked fine when pulling heavy loads.

Aesthetics and beauty are in the eye of the beholder so do whatever floats your boat and it will work a-ok.