The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=115)
-   -   Project Jiminy (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=682647)

zellway 09-18-2015 11:46 AM

Project Jiminy

4 Attachment(s)
I decided I need to post up my project, first off to help track my progress and help me in the motivation aspect. This was to be a quick driver build but I find myself putting more into this and get the feeling I will be making this more of a keeper.
So a little back story on this truck. It was found by a friend in Wyoming and set to be crushed for metal scrap. He sent me a few pic's and I told him I wanted it. Well a short time after it showed up at my house and I got to work. The engine was missing but that just saved me the time. The TH350 would be staying so I took it in and had it rebuild. The body was not in the best of shape but I have all the parts needed so really don't have good excuses. I received this truck at the end of march and wanted to have it running under it's own power by the end of summer. We work has really held me back but I will post of pic's and get you up to speed on what I have done.

zellway 09-18-2015 11:55 AM

Re: Project Jiminy

4 Attachment(s)
My first Suburban was this 506 Dark green and I like the idea of a nice stock looking ride like this. I will be keeping this color and the white top.

zellway 09-18-2015 11:57 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Knocked the front clip off to start cleaning and looking it all over.

69Tom 09-18-2015 12:05 PM

They were going to crush that? That's ridiculous. Nice truck. Looking forward to seeing you get it back together and on the road. I like the original green/white. How's the interior?

zellway 09-18-2015 12:08 PM

4 Attachment(s)
I had a extra curb side fender that would need less work so I started to prep it. I lucked out and had a hood. The old grill and bumper will be donated from my Suburban. In fact a bunch of small parts will be donated from that project.

zellway 09-18-2015 12:13 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Novice work at best but I'm happy with it.

69Tom 09-18-2015 12:14 PM

Looks good!

zellway 09-18-2015 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 69Tom (Post 7312760)
They were going to crush that? That's ridiculous. Nice truck. Looking forward to seeing you get it back together and on the road. I like the original green/white. How's the interior?

That was exactly what I was thinking when :lol:

zellway 09-18-2015 12:21 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Spaced the inside pic's and SPID

WarMonger 09-18-2015 03:03 PM

looks real good

zellway 09-21-2015 10:11 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Got the curb side fender painted up this weekend. Installed the drivers side and I think the color looks about right. I was not going to paint this truck at first but more I see this green the more I like it. I placed a order for more of the running gear. Spent sometime working on the plastic grill insert. Should have it painted and ready to install this weekend.

zellway 09-22-2015 09:28 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Used a scissor jack to push the rear fender back up and out a little. :lol:

zellway 09-24-2015 10:41 AM

2 Attachment(s)
A bit out of place but it's looking more like a truck :lol: paint did not match up so well on this side. Door was replaced as some point and was repainted to match.

raggedjim 09-24-2015 10:51 AM

Looks great, now you'll have to paint the whole thing!

Rg

zellway 09-24-2015 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by raggedjim (Post 7318776)
Looks great, now you'll have to paint the whole thing!

Rg

I'm with you on that. I will getting it rolling first. But full paint is on the list.

68Gold/white 09-24-2015 01:39 PM

Your work looks awesome!!!

summitflier 09-24-2015 01:59 PM

Very similar to the way mine looked when I started. Short steppers rule!!
Nice metal work.

zellway 09-24-2015 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 68Gold/white (Post 7318933)
Your work looks awesome!!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by summitflier (Post 7318948)
Very similar to the way mine looked when I started. Short steppers rule!!
Nice metal work.

Thanks. I'm happy with how it's looking. I'm learning as I go. It's not a short bed......Yet :lol:

68Gold/white 09-24-2015 04:28 PM

I don't know how many long step sides I've seen in my lifetime, not very doggone many, for sure!!!
What's the engine plans?
You going the disc brake route? I hope!

zellway 09-24-2015 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 68Gold/white (Post 7319094)
I don't know how many long step sides I've seen in my lifetime, not very doggone many, for sure!!!
What's the engine plans?
You going the disc brake route? I hope!

I have had a few long steps but you do see more fleet sides. I had the engine from my fathers truck and was going to rebuild it but we found a crack in the block :whine:so I pulled all my pennies and got Gm create engine for it. I will be adding some basics like power brakes and steering, sway bar's, A/C and retro sound radio. Most of the same stuff I have done to me Suburban. All I really want is a cool basic truck. I over did things with my short bed and I put it on the back burner till I decide what directions I will take with it. :waah:

zellway 09-25-2015 05:41 PM

1 Attachment(s)
One more step in the right direction has landed. :devil:

zellway 12-01-2015 03:34 PM

Been sick and took some time for life stuff but I will have more to post on this vary soon. Engine is ready to install with the rebuilt TH350. Taking much longer then I had wanted to get to this point. :waah:

dfwright 12-01-2015 03:51 PM

It's looking really nice. The paint job on the fenders might be "novice work," but it looks really good from here! Well done!

zellway 12-01-2015 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dfwright (Post 7395342)
It's looking really nice. The paint job on the fenders might be "novice work," but it looks really good from here! Well done!

Thannks. It looks good from about 10 feet. I learned a bunch and I think when I get ready for the rest it will look better. I pulled out the other bed and started to look at the work needed for it. I'm going to get as much done as I can with the cooler weather in effect. :lol:

zellway 12-07-2015 10:30 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Not much of a update. Still waiting on parts to finish up the engine but its looks good. I will start working on the other front end metal to get it looking good. I was tempted to drop it off and have it all blasted and powder coated but keeping with the budget in mind I will do a good clean up and POR15. I have some rust to adress and some holes to weld up.