The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds (http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=115)
-   -   Project Underhaulin (http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=306320)

tdave00 09-11-2008 01:16 AM

Project Underhaulin

http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/n...0/bd0be025.png

If you haven't read or been involved in the thread about the Lady that lost her husband and was trying to sell off all her and her late husband's 67-72 Chevy Trucks on Ebay , then you must be wondering what this is all about. I would encourage you to go and read through the thread linked to above and then come back here, but I'll try to sum it up pretty quick.

As stated, this Lady suddenly lost her husband at the young age of 46. Her and her husband Clyde loved these old Chevy Trucks. When he died his wife Dawn was left with four of them. She posted three of them and a bunch of parts for sale on Ebay in one auction, but none of the items sold because it was just so much to haul off. One of our members posted her story in the thread linked to above. As of this date the thread has been viewed over 15,000 times. A lot of people's hearts went out to this lady because of her situation, so we decided to take up donations to help her. In one week we raised over $1500 through our board members donations. Some other boards members even got involved and donated.

It was decided to give Dawn $1,000, and to take the remainder and get her other truck on the road for her. The fourth truck that Dawn has is a 67 SWB and it's very special to her. Her and her husband called the truck "Ole Girl" and before his death they had plans to fix it up. So, as you probably gathered Dawn's 67 SWB will be the subject of this build. We hope by doing this for Dawn that it might bring some closure in her life regarding her husband's passing.

We only have $550 as of now to work with, so our plans are modest. Hopefully we can get some parts and maybe even more money donated to take this build a step further, but for now we are going to try and keep it simple. Hence the name - UNDERHAULIN.

Here's a few pictures of Dawns 67.

Here's a link to the Parts List. We will keep it updated.

You can send any donations for this project through PayPal. https://www.paypal.com/en_US/i/btn/x...tcc-donate.gif

c10addict 09-11-2008 08:18 AM

Re: Project Underhaulin

I got parts laying around... Put a list together and If I have something you need I will ship it asap!

63 & 64 Bowties 09-11-2008 08:38 AM

Trai, great synopsis of Dawn's story. It's a long story that's hard to put into words, but you got it right-on.
Here's a slide-show of Dawn's other trucks and parts that she was trying to sell, in case you didn't see them in the other thread. The 68 in these pics is a longbed stepside. Her 67 that she wants to keep is a shortbed with no bed. Anyone have experience they could share about cutting a long step into a shortbed? Anyone interested in "horse-trading" parts/trucks for labor?

http://i117.photobucket.com/albums/o...nanimation.gif

toomanytoyz 09-11-2008 09:38 AM

If you can Figure out a Way to Modify the Bed into a Shorty, I Have a Set of Step's for it..........

Just let me know where they would need Sent to..........

Great Job of Making this Happen for Dawn.

Rick

bryanschevyparts 09-11-2008 10:07 AM

i have a rebuilt dash and some other parts as well ,i will be watching for the list to help get this truck back on the road. this is one awesome group!!

MrBeast 09-11-2008 12:04 PM

great project.

68 short step 09-11-2008 01:20 PM

so what was dawns and her husbands vison for this truck???

63 & 64 Bowties 09-11-2008 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 68 short step (Post 2885717)

tdave00 would know more, but I know; auto trans & stepside bed.

gcburdic 09-11-2008 05:39 PM

subscribed!....I'll be watching for a parts list too....I have a few things laying around here that I ship ASAP!!!

Great logo Trai!!!

tdave00 09-11-2008 06:44 PM

It might be a week or so before I get a parts list together. Me and Woody will probably need to make a trip down there.

I think I am just going to be upfront with Dawn and tell her what we are doing. I had been discussing with her daughters a plan to keep it from her, but I don't think it's going to work. The reason is we will probably need some of the parts that she has and possibly parts off her other vehicles, so that's gonna be hard to explain.

thirdstreettito 09-11-2008 06:48 PM

Good job raising all the money guys! I hope this goes well. She is in TN right? There is a short step bed near me for real cheap incase you guys dont want to cut the longstep. Just let me know if you need anything. I'll give me free of charge. I have access to a lot. Good luck guys!

tdave00 09-11-2008 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 68 short step (Post 2885717)

I really don't know :lol:. I felt so weird being in her husband's garage that I sorta got overwhelmed and didn't ask. Next time I go down there I will be sure to get the details.

Rokcrln 09-11-2008 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tdave00 (Post 2886221)
I really don't know :lol:. I felt so weird being in her husband's garage that I sorta got overwhelmed and didn't ask. Next time I go down there I will be sure to get the details.

Sounds good then post up a "Parts needs list" and I am sure you will get most of what you need from these guys. Shipping is a big expense but if we all send small parts it will add up quick. Or you might be able to get donations to cover shipping for large good items. One member donates the part and a few others donate the money to ship!
Just a thought. PM me a list once you have it together.

Kevin
LFD Inc.

LUV2XCLR8 09-11-2008 07:54 PM

Waiting on the Part list to see if I can help ;)

tdave00 09-11-2008 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LUV2XCLR8 (Post 2886276)
Waiting on the Part list to see if I can help ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rokcrln (Post 2886236)
Sounds good then post up a "Parts needs list" and I am sure you will get most of what you need from these guys. Shipping is a big expense but if we all send small parts it will add up quick. Or you might be able to get donations to cover shipping for large good items. One member donates the part and a few others donate the money to ship!
Just a thought. PM me a list once you have it together.

Kevin
LFD Inc.

You guys never cease to amaze me. We might just end up being able to do something much better than our expectations for this build if this keeps up.

BTW...Dawn's daughter Tiffany emailed me tonight and she doesn't know if it's a good idea to "let the cat out of the bag" to Dawn yet about our plans to get her 67 on the road. I would really like to go ahead and tell her because it would be so much easier than doing all this behind her back, but at the same time I am sure Tiffany knows her mom much better than we do. I'll keep you guys updated on this.

Liz 09-13-2008 04:39 AM

well how are ya'll suppose to work on the truck etc without her knowing? I know the girls are worried about her but I am not seeing where it will be possible for the truck to be worked on without her knowing or causing her further grief covering it up.

Please keep the other thread updated as well. That is the one ya'll have linked everywhere, and folks visiting may not understand to look here :)

(btw the post edit deal is part of the software, but a good thing as folks reply n edit to cover up bad sales, comments etc all the time :) )

Rokcrln 09-13-2008 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Liz (Post 2888018)
well how are ya'll suppose to work on the truck etc without her knowing? I know the girls are worried about her but I am not seeing where it will be possible for the truck to be worked on without her knowing or causing her further grief covering it up.

)

I agree and know you mentioned it before about letting her know about it. I think it would help her to have a hands on input into the build. She may want some weird item done or installed that would make no sense to any of us but mean the world to her, you know what I mean! So I say let her know about it and all the SUPPORT not Charity that she is getting here and it may help fill a big hole in her life right now even if it is just a little.

Kevin
LFD Inc.

tdave00 09-13-2008 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rokcrln (Post 2888182)
I agree and know you mentioned it before about letting her know about it. I think it would help her to have a hands on input into the build. She may want some weird item done or installed that would make no sense to any of us but mean the world to her, you know what I mean! So I say let her know about it and all the SUPPORT not Charity that she is getting here and it may help fill a big hole in her life right now even if it is just a little.

Kevin
LFD Inc.

Those are my thoughts exactly, but her daughters had talked to her about moving the truck out of the garage and storing it at a friends house so she could get the garage cleaned up. They were wanting us to take it instead of actually storing it and surprise her, but I am with you guys. It's just gonna complicate things, but I am trying to respect her daughters opinions. Her daughter did tell me to do what I thought was best, so that's most likely gonna mean that I am going to tell her. That way we can explain why we are taking parts that she has and pulling parts off her other trucks. And, I agree it would be good so Dawn could have some input in what we are doing.

toomanytoyz 09-13-2008 03:37 PM

I'm really Schocked that not one of our Board Vendor's have stepped up on this, Seem's to me that the Free Advertising would be Worth Quite a Bit for one of them......................

Rick

jb4short 09-13-2008 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by toomanytoyz (Post 2888435)
I'm really Schocked that not one of our Board Vendor's have stepped up on this, Seem's to me that the Free Advertising would be Worth Quite a Bit for one of them......................

Rick

Waiting for a list of needed parts?

tdave00 09-13-2008 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tri-ProAutomotive (Post 2888439)
Waiting for a list of needed parts?

Thanks, and we should have one this coming weekend.

I just got off the phone with Dawn. I decided to go ahead and tell her. She was blown away!

jb4short 09-13-2008 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tdave00 (Post 2888449)
Thanks, and we should have one this coming weekend.

I just got off the phone with Dawn. I decided to go ahead and tell her. She was blown away!

that's great- should make it easier on everyone

big_al_71 09-13-2008 04:31 PM

I wish I lived in the same area code as her, we could use my shop, tools, my techs would be all over this. I think it is a great idea that she was told about this being done for her, maybe she could help and it will help her with some closure ( thinking out loud)....

71'tahoe 09-13-2008 05:07 PM

Is she around nashville? I can come down and help if ya'll need some labor help. Would love to help but I dont have any parts to offer....:(....I do know how to do paint and body work!! :)....maybe I could donate some material!!

tdave00 09-13-2008 05:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 71'tahoe (Post 2888494)
Is she around nashville? I can come down and help if ya'll need some labor help. Would love to help but I dont have any parts to offer....:(....I do know how to do paint and body work!! :)....maybe I could donate some material!!

She's actually around the Knoxville area. She lives in Sevierville, and we are going to take the truck to Maynardville, which is north of Knoxville, to work on it. Anything you can do to help will be welcomed.