The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1988 - 1998 GMT400 Chevy & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Replace Front Side Marker Light (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=785112)

irvan 04-14-2019 06:18 PM

Replace Front Side Marker Light

1 Attachment(s)
I have a broken right front side marker light and I can't seem to figure out how to remove the broken "screw" parts and replace it with the new one. Do I have to remove the grille to get to it or is there something i'm missing? If i do have to remove the grill what is the process please? I'm trying real hard to not over complicate this. Thanks

Richard 04-14-2019 06:39 PM

Re: Replace Front Side Marker Light

Removing the grill is pretty easy. Four screws along the top edge with hood open. One through the grill at center. Remove turn signals under headlights (four screws each) bottom of grill is snapped in by clips. Easy to release by turn signals. Center lower clip is a little trickier. A long screwdriver or something similar to help release the clip will get it.
That being said, may be able to get sidemarkets though turn signal and headlight holes. Remove headlight by unscrewing the two long posts sticking out above each one. Markers are held on by two stamped nuts each. HTH
Richard

irvan 04-14-2019 06:46 PM

Thank you Richard, I will try the headlight removal first but if I have to remove the grille now I have some direction.

Mr_Rich 04-14-2019 10:52 PM

I think the GMC is a one-piece lens (?). If it were a Chevy you could remove the turn signal module below the headlight and reach the tinnerman nut on the back side of the lower part. You might need some more of those nylon clip retainers that the headlight and grille screws fasten in to. Otherwise you need to remove the grille but it's easy enough. You can find some of those parts on blister packs in auto parts or automotive paint and body stores.
Oh...and you don't need to remove the headlights; just the turn signal module below them because there are grille retaining screws behind those modules.

Richard 04-15-2019 01:39 AM

Believe grill attachment is the same chevy and gmc. We used to swap grills all the time during the sport truck era. While the chevys have a separate side marker and reflector and would use two nuts each. The gmc uses only two nuts for the one long piece. Headlight needs removed to access upper nut. Headlights are the same, chevy-gmc. Do not have to mess with adjusters or headlight core support mounts. Removing the long posts will release the front housing.

Mr_Rich 04-15-2019 11:09 AM

I replaced my grille and painted the rad support last year, as a matter of fact. I also broke one of the reflectors on the pass. side when I was on the road somewhere and later accessed the Tinnerman retaining nut through the opening for the turn signal housing after removal. The headlights just stay where they are whether it's a pre-'90 or post '90 with the one-piece headlight housing.

Mr_Rich 04-15-2019 11:12 AM

1 Attachment(s)
This is the pic I wanted to add on my previous post.

shifty 04-15-2019 11:40 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Had to remove my grille this weekend to complete a couple of tasks.

If your earlier model is like mine, there should be one flimsy metal 13mm nut on a threaded plastic post on the back side of each spot. You'll want to have a ratcheting 13mm wrench if you've got one, not much clearance.

You should be able to get to it without taking the grille off, but you'll need to remove the park light cover (4 philips head screws then pop it out) to get the 1st reflector's backing nut and then remove the headlight (two 5mm posts, you can access with grille on, see pic below). You'll remove those posts at the top of the grille and lift up/out. Once you lift both 5mm posts out (they're 6"-7" long), you can slide out the headlight. Install is reverse process.

Before you get started, might want to check to make sure all lights are working too, I made the mistake of failing to see my corner light was out, now I gotta pop the park light back out. Bummer!

Since you'll have them out anyway, now could also be a a good time to polish the haziness out of the headlights. If you have a buffing wheel and follow a 3-step process of sand/compound/polish/wax that's about the most thorough way. Kits to clear those up are cheap at the LAPS. Hell, you can apparently even use toothpaste.

71gmcC15 04-15-2019 11:39 PM

I could have that side marker re placed in 10 minutes. And thare are no clips on the bottom of the grill. It an 88-93 stile. Just two screws on each corner.and one in the middle.and the nuts are 13mm. On the side marker.

irvan 04-16-2019 05:11 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks to all for the help. Looks better now.