The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans & Panels Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Look what I brought home this time! (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=326800)

BADSAM 02-02-2009 08:10 PM

Look what I brought home this time!

4 Attachment(s)
I didn't need it, but I sure wanted it. I brought it home yesterday. We got home in time to watch the superbowl! 1972 3/4 ton 402 BB 3rd row seating and overhead ac.

The good: Paint and body is in better shape than pictures show.

The bad: 402 Engine is bad, lower end needs rebuild.

These are pics from the ad, I'll post more when I get a chance.

(Also, don't tell anyone, but it was towed home by my buddy's 2008 Toyota Tundra ... I was desperate, my truck is in the shop.)

sierragrande71 02-02-2009 08:27 PM

Re: Look what I brought home this time!

I always wanted a 'burb. Looks like a good find!

Long Roof 02-02-2009 08:28 PM

Wow, looks pretty nice. Not exactly sure how I feel about those 'luxury' buckets though.

This may be out of line, but what did you give for it?

1LoC10 02-02-2009 08:58 PM

looks nice

BADSAM 02-02-2009 09:14 PM

Thanks all.

Long roof, I gave a running driving in pretty good cond 1989 Ramcharger, a 1983 Yamaha IT 250 2 stroke Enduro Dirt Bike, and $500 cash. Some would say I was crazy for it, since the engine is shot. However, if you saw it in person I'd think you would agree I got a good deal. The Blue paint is in really nice shape, body is straight. I couldn't find any bondo on it. There are only a few very small rust spots. Undercarriage looks as good as my 99. Interior paint is excellent.

As far as the luxury van seats (the fronts swivel!), I have a set of original style buckets that need recovering I can swap out for the front and have a few options for the second row.

I'd also like to put the flat black areas back to white and to swap out those wheels.

Priority right now though is getting that big block breathing life again.

Hart_Rod 02-02-2009 10:52 PM

Cool!!!

shaneschevys 02-03-2009 01:48 AM

Looks good.

1956cameo 02-03-2009 11:41 AM

Very cool find! I love seeing another 67-72 suburban added to the forum. Make sure you post pics of it in the suburban pics thread.

Number98 02-03-2009 12:29 PM

Looks like a good start...

olblue60@aol.com 02-03-2009 12:42 PM

Everyone has there own opinions on price, wether they want to rod or restore, airbags etc. Not that my opinion is worth even $.02, I kinda like the seating and the deal sounds good to me. Even though I am restoring my burbs, I also have a streetrod. The most important thing is that you make it what you would like it to be for you. Sunday must have been an exciting day for you! Good luck!

884x4Sub 02-04-2009 01:48 PM

NLT!!!......nice lookin' truck

BADSAM 02-11-2009 08:59 PM

Update, I pulled the engine this weekend. An all time record. We had it out and on a stand in 2.5 hours.

I took the engine in Monday afternoon, I actually took two engines in. I had a 1971 402 that had never been gone into hid back in the garage for a rainy day. Anyway, it turned out 6 of the 8 bearing (in first engine) were gone or almost gone. Machine shop guy said it was the worse he had ever seen!!!!!! Apparently when all the loud knocking started, they didn't turn off the engine. It also had already been bored 60 over. Just my luck. However, I had the other short block that had never been touched and he was fairly confident it was a better candidate for a rebuild. Good news were the heads, they were 781 castings and someone put some big valves in them. Apparently these are good heads.

Unfortunately, it sounds like the rebuild will be more than anticipated. However, it should be worth it.

Should have it back by Feb 20. At least I hope so.

thirdstreettito 02-11-2009 09:13 PM

Good deal! I'd love to have that burb.

BADSAM 02-26-2009 08:20 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Update, I picked the engine up early this week. It's AWESOME!!!!

Health (been sick) and weather permitting I'll install this weekend.

OARNGESI 02-26-2009 09:28 PM

Glad to see its going to be up and rtunning soon its to nice to just sit around all day

BADSAM 02-26-2009 09:49 PM

Thanks. I'm pretty excited about it. I bought a 3 dr back in 1996 with intentions of making it my daily driver, it never happened. Even my 69 that I traded for a couple of years ago needs more work than this one.

I'm soooooo close!

BADSAM 03-11-2009 07:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Engine is in and it's running great. However, I am a victim of believing the PO. When I bought it I was told it was his daily driver until he blew the engine. Based on the flakes pumping out of the gas tank, I doubt that seriously. Next chore is to pull tank.

BADSAM 03-12-2009 05:44 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a pic I took yesterday, I'll get better ones later.

Long Roof 03-13-2009 04:39 PM

hope fuel doesn't go back to $4 anytime soon for ya. That BB will likely get pretty thirsty.

BADSAM 04-09-2009 07:28 PM

Just thought I'd do a quick update. It's a DRIVER!!!!

I finally got the tank back in, also swapped out all the rubber hoses.

I have been driving it to work all week long. Other than it blowing the heater core on Monday, it's been running like a champ. I do still have a trans leak to contend with.

I still have a lot of things I want to do. Kinda nice when the stuff is wanted vs needed!!!!

Hope y'all all have a Great Easter.

vectorit 04-09-2009 08:56 PM

Awesome burb!

Welcome to the burb family ;)

70rs/ss 04-10-2009 03:42 PM

I am hoping to get back onto the Burb band wagon next weekend. I traded for a cool Edel pro-flo fuel injection set-up and have a nearly new Vortec 350 I want to put in it the burb, but she is a runner and will be a driver as soon as I put the 200r4 trans in it I picked up in Cali. Your's is sweet and honestly a trade for me is a smokin' deal as it is easier to trade than to sell and get the $$$ to buy, at least it is for me!

BADSAM 04-10-2009 05:53 PM

Trading is great. I've picked up both my burbs through trades. I agree, it's much easier for me than than selling and coming up with the cash.

Before I jumped into the rebuid I really considered a 6.0 swap ... but in the interest of time I figured the rebuild would be quicker (at least for me) and I really wanted to get it on the road.

Ron 586 04-10-2009 06:10 PM

Congrats BADSAM. I know you have wanted one for quite a while. You can load up the kids and test drive it to my place and let them go fishing while I check out the Burb. See you in July for sure.

BADSAM 04-10-2009 06:56 PM

Ron, hope you are doing well. I'll be there in July for sure and if I can I'll try to get there earlier. I know the kids would love to catch a few more of your fish!