The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   water trick (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=221232)

GREASEMONKEY72 12-31-2006 01:12 AM

water trick

if i do the water trick since its cheaper which is lightly pouring water into the carb to clean out the engine, will i notice a difference in performance at all??? or will it not matter??? will there be a decrease in power or an increase and am i crazy to think that the carbon build up would actually increase the comp enough to make a difference???

-steven:crazy:

krue 12-31-2006 01:16 AM

Re: water trick

I personally would try seafoam. You can get it at any parts store and I've heard no complaints about it.

72armyswbtruck 12-31-2006 01:20 AM

Krue,
Seafoam?
Never heard of this stuff what exactly is it?

84_4x4 12-31-2006 01:28 AM

seafoam is a thin liquid almost like paint thinner and it is highly toxic ive used it before to clean out oil passage ways before and it did a great job you can put it in your gas oil and even suck some up into some vaccum lines will smoke like a freight train but will clean the engine to almost perfect

ETsC10 12-31-2006 01:32 AM

Is this the same concept as using Kerosene to quiet noisy lifters? Or using trany fluid to wash out sludge? Wouldn't this flood the bearings down with crud?

brak 12-31-2006 01:44 AM

Seafoam is a mixture of isopropyl alcohol and Naptha (a solvent used in Zippo lighter fluid), it's like WD40 in the fact that it has a million uses, and i always keep a can or ten on hand.

as per the can, it:
* Cleans fuel injectors
* Cleans carburetor jets
* Cleans carbon
* Stabilizes fuels
* Upper cylinder lube
* Removes moisture in fuel
* De-icer
* Frees sticky lifters
* Frees sticky rings
* Removes moisture in oil
* Cleans P.C.V. systems
* Cleans catalytic converter odors
* Oxygen sensor safe

I use it in all my vehicles (and lawnmower) as a fuel stabilizer, when they will sit for an extended period of time, which means that the whole shebang gets a thourough cleaning when they are driven again.

you can buy it at most auto parts stores and gas stations. costs a couple bucks a can.

http://www.seafoamsales.com/products_files/image002.jpg

truckdude239 12-31-2006 02:20 AM

I second seafoam. or some kinda of cleaner. in my opinion the only place water has the right to be in a motor is in the water jackets. nowhere near the carbs or inside the cyliders

Longhorn Man 12-31-2006 03:57 AM

water in the carb is fine... use a spray bottle set on stream, jack the idle up to 2000 RPM... your fingers can't pump it fast enough to cause damage. This is an old trick that is still used today at emissions testing places that really works.

trkklr77 12-31-2006 04:00 AM

im with the no water crowd on this one, you put a nut hair tomouch wtaer and youll hydro lock your motor and wind up with bent rod or explode a piston.

heard alot of good about seafoam but never used it.

Longhorn Man 12-31-2006 04:11 AM

at 2000 RPM with a squirt bottle.... like a windex bottle.... it is literally imposible to do.
They've only been doing it for 50 years or so.

70GMCer 12-31-2006 07:39 AM

I agree with Longhorn on this one. I've been doing this for over 30 years and never had any problems.

Sweet72 12-31-2006 08:44 AM

I have done the water trick and noticed an improvement in how the engine runs. When I pulled the ramshorn manifolds off a couple years ago I noticed what appears to be ash in the exhaust runners on the exhaust valves. There was at least a heaping tablespoon of this stuff in each runner????? What the heck!

Boog 12-31-2006 08:59 AM

I believe that would be the remains of burned oil getting past the valve seals and or piston rings.

PanelDeland 12-31-2006 09:05 AM

I can't see water hurting the engine.It's a small amount.Also water injection has been used for years.It helps control detonation by cooling the incoming airflow.The seafoam is probably better.

Aarons72s 12-31-2006 10:54 AM

My former employer, the repo guy did the water trick on his 97 dodge ram with 360. Worked like a charm. He reved the engine up, not sure rpm. Had a cup of water that he was pouring down the intake. Seemed to work great, no more missies from the carbon.

chipflyer 12-31-2006 11:11 AM

I learned the water trick from a vo tech instructor over 20 years ago and have been doing it ever since. Slowly poor it in at a high idle and it will basically high pressure steam clean the combustion chamber. I have used sea foam also and I think it works well also.

Jeff

DMX84 12-31-2006 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GREASEMONKEY72 (Post 1964484)
if i do the water trick since its cheaper which is lightly pouring water into the carb to clean out the engine, will i notice a difference in performance at all??? or will it not matter??? will there be a decrease in power or an increase and am i crazy to think that the carbon build up would actually increase the comp enough to make a difference???

-steven:crazy:

Carbon build up will hurt performance, but to what degree has several factors. High compression & lower compressions engines. Also the amount of carbon build up has a lot to do with it.
DMX

73stepside 12-31-2006 11:54 AM

if you don't feel like pouring water in the intake, set the sprayer to mist and mist the water above the carb. it will get sucked into the carb and do the same thing, but it takes longer. works just as well. water in the combustion chambers isn't going to hurt anything. you're not going to hydro lock anything with a spray mist or stream from a spray bottle

masterbeavis 01-01-2007 09:33 PM

A friend of mine took a garden hose to an old ford I-6 with a brick on the gas pedal runnin WOT. It took 20 minutes at full bore to kill that motor.

68GMC454 01-01-2007 10:12 PM

well glad im not the only one who has done the water trick..kinda intersting to do to..

DMX84 01-01-2007 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by masterbeavis (Post 1966900)
A friend of mine took a garden hose to an old ford I-6 with a brick on the gas pedal runnin WOT. It took 20 minutes at full bore to kill that motor.

I would think just running it WOT alone would kill an engine in 20 min.

wolfthing2000 01-01-2007 10:31 PM

Masterbeavis,
That is the best thing I have heard done to a Ford in a long time......:gi: ........perfect end to the piece o' ****!!!!:metal:

arkracing 01-01-2007 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DMX84 (Post 1966981)
I would think just running it WOT alone would kill an engine in 20 min.

Unfortuantly Ford I6's are hard to kill - they will run knocking forever. Most of the 250's and 292's GM's will do the same.

as far as the topic @ hand - I would "mist" the bottle over the carb - it will take longer as stated but you certainly won't Hydro-Lock the motor.

Longhorn Man 01-01-2007 11:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arkracing (Post 1966990)
as far as the topic @ hand - I would "mist" the bottle over the carb - it will take longer as stated but you certainly won't Hydro-Lock the motor.

I'll buy you a 502 if you can kill your motor with a spray bottle with the RPMs up at 2 grand-ish.

lilpup69chevy 01-02-2007 01:10 AM

wow the chevy 250 in my dad's old 81 didn't last me long it didn't even get a chance to knock of course it had a 3 spd on the column and no tach with quiet exhaust and i was young dumb and stupid chunked a rod right through the block but it did leave one nice long black mark before it puked the rod and by the way i actually drove it home about 3 or 4 miles with the rod broke it would still start up and run