The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   WIW (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=83)
-   -   need some info on a dana 44 8 lug (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=545825)

richard2717 10-02-2012 08:24 PM

need some info on a dana 44 8 lug

1 Attachment(s)
I have done a fourum search and not having luck getting any results. I have a guy that wants to trade me his truck for a couple signs for his business. He had it listed as a 71 K20 on Craigs. I met him tonight and went to look at the truck. turns out it is actually a 72' C10 that has either had a complete frame swap (which is what I think has happened) and upgraded to 3/4 ton 4x4 or they swapped a lot of hardware. I normally don't get involved in the 4x4 pickups but i think i can at least break even and help him out at the same time.

Anyway, I am curious about the Dana 44 up front. Is this axle sought after or do most prefer the dana 60? It was getting dark when I got there and the only picture I got to turn out was the one of the hub. I did not realize there was a closed and open hub version so I have no idea which one this is since my pics didn't turn out. What should I look for when I go back? The rear axle is either a HO52 or 72 with leafs.

Truck has no motor but has an AT still in it and transfer case. Was too wet to crawl under tonight to see if i was a 205. Lots of rust in weird places but I think I will still pick it up for parts. Sorry about the book lol

richard2717 10-02-2012 08:31 PM

Re: need some info on a dana 44 8 lug

2 Attachment(s)
here are pics of the rest of the truck

duallyjams 10-03-2012 08:07 AM

This is just my opinion , unless it has parts that you need it will take a good 2yrs or more to part out the 4x4 drive train , I still have parts left and it's been over 4yrs. I had to split up the trans and 205 combo and sell a piece here and there , had to do the same on the front axle , I still have the ho52 rear and the trans case. You might have better luck selling this at a swap meet then selling online.

richard2717 10-03-2012 10:10 AM

Thanks for the info James. I normally dont mess with the drivetrain side of these to much but this one presented itself for cheap so I will probably go ahead and get it for the normal parts I save. I will probably hold onto the drivetrain for a short while but it won't take long for me to throw it in the metal dumpster.

Richard

vectorit 10-03-2012 01:48 PM

There is a demand for those D44's with the large hub and blue dial in the 67-72 community.
Mainly to the restoration crowd, and you could expect to get a few hundred bucks for it if it isn't trashed.

People like me, that have a closed knuckle D44 with drums are the ones usually looking for those to upgrade to disc brakes up front.

Or guys that want to beef up a K10 to K20 axles.

An automatic trans with a 205, will typically bring more $ than a manual from what I have noticed.

richard2717 10-03-2012 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vectorit (Post 5627003)
There is a demand for those D44's with the large hub and blue dial in the 67-72 community.
Mainly to the restoration crowd, and you could expect to get a few hundred bucks for it if it isn't trashed.

People like me, that have a closed knuckle D44 with drums are the ones usually looking for those to upgrade to disc brakes up front.

Or guys that want to beef up a K10 to K20 axles.

An automatic trans with a 205, will typically bring more $ than a manual from what I have noticed.

So basically if it has the blue dial it is considered an open knuckle unit?
Should I expect that most guys would only want the outside ends and not the whole unit?

As far as the transmission transfer case combo I am already sitting on two units now but have not really advertised them either.

Thanks for the info, I can use all the help I can get on suspension stuff.

Richard

vectorit 10-03-2012 11:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by richard2717 (Post 5627526)
So basically if it has the blue dial it is considered an open knuckle unit?
Should I expect that most guys would only want the outside ends and not the whole unit?

No, just that the blue dials seem to be more desirable since from what I have recently learned they are from 71-72. Then there is the yellow dial which is '73 up a few years.
The axle is an open knuckle, just by the year it is and has disc brakes.

The dial is nothing special to the axle, just a year of manufacture clue.
I recently purchased this axle with yellow dials, and it doesn't mean that much to me since I am not putting it in a 1971-72 rig that is being OE restored.
The dial can be swapped out for what ever color you want really.