The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Vendor Reviews (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=238)
-   -   Herman Headers -69080 (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=710700)

pdawg 06-25-2016 11:45 AM

Herman Headers -69080

FYI- this spring I purchased a set of these headers to install on my ZZ383 crate engine in my '72 C10 Custom Deluxe. I was assured by the Hedman tech. line that there were no fitment issues, so I had them ceramic coated by a local shop that does a great job. The headers slid into place with no problems & all was good until I tried to bolt them up. The clearance was so tight I could not get many of the bolts in the holes, as the 1 3/4" tubes were interfering with the heads. I submitted pictures to Hedman & they were quick to respond & agree that there was an issue with these headers. They offered to clearance them if I sent them back, or exchange them at the parts store for a new set. Since I had invested $240 getting them coated, I decided to try some ARP header bolts ($42). It took an hour & a half but I got the drivers side on with an open end wrench, gradually turning each bolt a fraction at a time. I emailed Hedman back & explained that I was successful, but maybe they could cover the cost of the bolts, which would have been more practical & economic for both of us, given I'm way up in Canada. They would have mist certainly damaged the finish trying to clearance them & then there is the down time & shipping costs - both ways. Their response was to advise me it's not their policy to reimburse customers for these costs. These headers have great clearance for spark plug access & should have been easy to install, if not for this defect in manufacture. I could only get a 1/4" drive 3/8" socket on the four outer bolts. The rest had to slowly get eased in with a wrench. Any lesser quality bolts would have rounded the heads off installing them. So be careful if you purchase Hedmans, as their quality control is lacking - as is their customer relations!
Posted via Mobile Device

GASoline71 06-25-2016 04:40 PM

Re: Herman Headers -69080

Never ever had a problem with Headman Hedders. Been using them for almost 30 years.

Gary

pdawg 06-25-2016 05:34 PM

Re: Hedman Headers -69080r

This was my first set of Hedman's & (like I said), aside from the quality control issue (I have photos but too large to attach), they look to be a well designed set of headers. I sent them the pics & they concurred that there was definitely an issue with them. What annoys me is I made it work with the ARP bolts & they wouldn't reimburse me for the cost. It would have cost them much more to clearance them & ship them back to me. They also make contact with my fuel lines right by the frame, but I should be able to correct this when I re-plumb for the FITECH system I've purchased for it. It just seems my request was a reasonable solution for the obvious problem.