The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1973 - 1991 Blazers, Jimmys, and Suburbans Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   what have you done for sound deadening ? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=721334)

blazer2007 10-29-2016 03:58 PM

what have you done for sound deadening ?

I was wondering what others have done for sound deadening on such a large real estate of floor. I,m going to do the firewall and the front floor in fat mat or similar but the back is so large it would kill my pocket book.I,m in Can. and home depot doesn,t sell the stick on bubble wrap.I was thinking of some wood flooring insulation and then a fake floor on top with carpet.The blazer doesn,t see any rain and is not a daily driver.Any other ideas out there?

68Timber 10-31-2016 05:10 PM

Re: what have you done for sound deadening ?

Your home depot doesn't have the Peal-n-Seal? I'm not sure what you meant by bubble wrap.

blazer2007 11-01-2016 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 68Timber (Post 7757238)
Your home depot doesn't have the Peal-n-Seal? I'm not sure what you meant by bubble wrap.

The guy said they don,t sell the peal and seal,he said alot of items in the USA are not carried in the Can. stores.I looked but didn,t see anything.

68Timber 11-01-2016 11:32 AM

If you can't get peal and seal, I see a lot of guys using Fat Mat. You can get it fairly cheap on ebay, not sure who else carries it though.

ochre 72 11-07-2016 09:41 AM

I used a product called road-block-r. Comes in four foot x 2 foot sections if I remember correctly. Was cheaper than the Dyna-mat back when I did it. Was easy to work with.

http://www.soundproofcow.com/product...ning-material/

tobiahr 11-08-2016 03:54 AM

the good thing about sound deadening is that you don't need to cover the entire panel to make a huge difference. a 2x4 foot piece should be enough for the bed area in a Blazer

DrppdBlazr 11-08-2016 12:50 PM

I used to regular old rattle trap...wasn't cheap but it will do what I want

HO455 11-09-2016 04:11 PM

I have heard good about this product, but never used it myself. It may be a good option for you if you have to have something shipped as it is much lighter in weight that the Dyonmat style products.

eighteenninetytwo 11-11-2016 01:54 PM

When soundproofing a blazer - do people put the matting on the Outside sidewall of the bed, on the back of interior wall of the bed or even on both? Also do people double up on teh fireall and footwell are of the front? Im liking what im seeing of this "roadblockr"

eighteenninetytwo 11-11-2016 02:43 PM

Also has anyone figured out the approximate square footage for the bed, wheelwell tops, bed sides and front seating areas on a 1975 model - would be easier to not have to measure before I order.

ochre 72 11-11-2016 04:39 PM

This was the road-block-r
used silver hvac tape on the seams
http://i1279.photobucket.com/albums/...ps0a8b8bad.jpg
http://i1279.photobucket.com/albums/...psdf753e6c.jpg
Then we went with a soft top, vinyl floor and dual exhaust, so not sure of how much difference it made. Some utility scissors and some type of a rolling pin.

blazer2007 11-11-2016 07:41 PM

you can roast a turkey in there now with heat lamps

68Timber 11-12-2016 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eighteenninetytwo (Post 7765666)
When soundproofing a blazer - do people put the matting on the Outside sidewall of the bed, on the back of interior wall of the bed or even on both? Also do people double up on teh fireall and footwell are of the front? Im liking what im seeing of this "roadblockr"

I would not put any outside the passenger compartment, if I understand you correctly. The pics ochre 72 posted are exactly how I'm doing mine.

ochre 72 11-17-2016 05:14 PM

I used the left over material inside of the door skin the next time I had the door panels off. I definitely noticed a difference after that.

68Timber 11-18-2016 01:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ochre 72 (Post 7771042)
I used the left over material inside of the door skin the next time I had the door panels off. I definitely noticed a difference after that.

That's the first place I put the stuff on my 85, it definitely makes a difference.

eighteenninetytwo 12-21-2016 01:57 PM

Reviving this thread for a question. This roadblockr stuff looks pretty good - dynamat also seems ot have a great reputation. Do people put a jute padding or other padding OVER the dynamat and under the carpet in passenger areas or is that deemed excessive? if its not there does it degrade the sound reduction material too quickly?

eighteenninetytwo 12-22-2016 05:57 PM

OK further, and related question - the more I research the more I realize i dont know. So the quetsion really is : ARE Dynamat and roadblokr CLD type things which really reduce vibrations form the panels primarily, and you still need a heavy sound deadener over the top of them for the best results?

cactus bowtie guy 01-22-2017 02:13 AM

You guys just put the carpet over that in the back? What's the original stuff that was in there called? The hairy/tar stuff? Is is still available anywhere? Was thinking about putting that on top of the sound deadener.

eighteenninetytwo 01-22-2017 02:35 AM

The hairy stuff is jute matting (if I'm thinking of the same stuff).

Electricduane 01-22-2017 05:19 PM

spray in bedliner does reduce the noise, though certainly not as much as padding and carpet. You always could put carpet and padding over the bedliner, if you want it to be really quiet. obviously not all bedliners are the same. High-pressure, high-temperature polyurethane (like Line-x) being the most expensive and pretty much the best.

I had the interior of my K5 done and am about to have the interior (rear/trunk/tailgate/exterior sides) of my suburban done.

68Timber 01-23-2017 07:07 AM

If you've already got the roadblocker down, the carpet with the jute backing is what most seem to do.