The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   How many cars wrecked on Dukes of Hazzard? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=137805)

Canada20 01-27-2005 12:22 AM

How many cars wrecked on Dukes of Hazzard?

Hey all. I used to have a really good info for this site bookmarked and it seems to have disappeared so I thought someone on here MUST know a thing or 2 about the Dukes.

How many Chargers were wrecked over the course of the show? I was sure that I'd read 268 cars that represented the General in total including a couple of '68 and '70 Chargers and an AMC Matador. The only stat I can find right now is that 168 were wrecked and no ,ore detail than that.

Thanks all!

Greg

Leinie 01-27-2005 12:28 AM

I can't help with the number , but just remember -- they were Dodge products, so don't mourn very long!

Alexis 01-27-2005 12:31 AM

i thought I read somewhere that it was about 300........

bigblock73 01-27-2005 12:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leinie
I can't help with the number , but just remember -- they were Dodge products, so don't mourn very long!

A 68-70 Charger is, in my opinion, the best looking vehicle ever built. Say what you wan't about Mopar products, but the mid 60's to early 70's Mopars were some of the coolest cars ever...hands down.

As far as destroyed Chargers, I heard/read it was in the neighborhood of 300 as well.

Robert1970C20rstbukt 01-27-2005 12:52 AM

The number of Sheriff cars wrecked is most likely doubled judging by the way Roscoe drove 'em. :lol: I think most of those were Chryslers too.

Hoods69BadBowTie 01-27-2005 12:56 AM

Who cares about the chryslers. I think the Chargers were pretty Bad A$$ too. I am not a big mopar fan but there are some very nice mopars out there and the Charger included up in the top.
I think I remember reading some where in the neighborhood of 280 Chargers were wrecked but I can't quite recall how many exactly.
-Later

green68c10 01-27-2005 01:00 AM

I wished I would have paid more attention,but I just last night watch an episode of Rides that featured Kenny Wayne Sheppard.He had a 69 Charger built called the Xtreme Lee.He said he wanted to be Bo duke when he was a kid.They did a killer job on his car.KWS talked about seeing Stevie Ray Vaughn live when he was younger and how he was wanted to carry on like S.R.V.KWS is a bad a$$ musician.

QKENUF4U 01-27-2005 01:11 AM

from what ive heard it was 6 chargers a show. booooooooooo hisssssssssssssssss

Alexis 01-27-2005 01:19 AM

OK, i think my memory is working. :crazy:

if I'm correct there was a site/mag that did an article on General Lee. In the article a radio DJ came up with enough money and a car. They had a stunt man from the original show donate himself to jump the car. It was hosted at some special place that relates to the show. Well They had photos of the car jumping and getting trashed on landing. It was neat but that where I think I got the 300 number from. heck if I remember more detail.
It was something someone posted here though, so you might want to do a search and see if anything comes up.

todds3535 01-27-2005 01:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alexis
i thought I read somewhere that it was about 300........

Your right, according to this site.......

http://www.aaca.org/junior/starcars/duke.htm

724wdcopper 01-27-2005 01:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alexis
OK, i think my memory is working. :crazy:

if I'm correct there was a site/mag that did an article on General Lee. In the article a radio DJ came up with enough money and a car. They had a stunt man from the original show donate himself to jump the car. It was hosted at some special place that relates to the show. Well They had photos of the car jumping and getting trashed on landing. It was neat but that where I think I got the 300 number from. heck if I remember more detail.
It was something someone posted here though, so you might want to do a search and see if anything comes up.

that was car craft. i'd look it up, but i dont know where all my mags are.

Canada20 01-27-2005 02:08 AM

Thanks for all the fast replies, all!

Greg

Hoods69BadBowTie 01-27-2005 06:36 PM

Dam, I can't find any of my mags either, Dammit. Now I remember seeing that articale in my mags.
-Later

mblackburnjr 01-27-2005 07:54 PM

lol .When i was in high school,i had a white 78 monaco.It looked just like roscoes car.They were always trying to get me to jump a set of railroad track near the school.So one day,with a car full, we hit tracks about 70 mph,(ironically no one said yee-ha) and when we landed all the hub caps flew off and the rear view mirror flew to the back seat...We were sitting there sideways in the road,and my buddy said"Its no wonder roscoe never caught the duke boys"!

Z16 01-27-2005 09:33 PM

HOLY CRAP BLACKBURN LMAO what a great story

The North American General Lee Fan Club

http://209.43.123.28/

Some very cool original pics from the show. I almost cried at the one of The General on his roof. If the link doesn't work try generalleefanclub.com

I watched the show Rides, on the Xtreme Lee, too. They talked to a guy that built the original Generals. Funny how he was saying that they pretty much held the cars together with baling wire. They used to warm the paint up on a hotplate before they sprayed it so it would dry quicker. That car looked so good on the show, but Ithink it probably didn't look so good up close

Florida Mike 01-28-2005 12:52 AM

Hey click the link above ,then click on model cars...select cooters tow truck...viola!72 cheyenne!

shortymac83 01-28-2005 01:06 AM

The 68-73 chargers, and the dodge challengers are, IMO, THE best looking vehicles on the road today. There's a reason that the challengers are going for nearly a million bucks now, they're that popular and look that good. I'd be happy with a triple black 69 or 72 (I love those 2 styles the best) with a supercharged 440, 10" rims on the back end, buckets and a console shifter. mmmmmm....

Fred T 01-28-2005 01:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Z16
HOLY CRAP BLACKBURN LMAO what a great story

Not always a happy ending. As chief of a volunteer fire department in the 70s, I had to work a wreck one night. 65 Bel Air with 4 high school kids had been jumping a set of tracks that were ramped up 8 feet or so above the gravel roadway. Every weekend they had been increasing their speed, driver said this time they were going 70.

This time the driver lost control, car rolled and landed on its top in a deep ditch. After we extricated the 3 inside the car, we had to winch it up to pull remains of the rider that was crushed under the car. :(

Custom 68 01-28-2005 10:04 AM

My guess would be ALL of them.

Captkaos 01-28-2005 12:46 PM

You should have watch Rides the other night. they had Kenny Wayne Sheppards "Xtreme Lee" on there. It is the "2000s" version on the General Lee.

The guy that actually build the cars were there talking about the originals in the show.

Pic are here: http://www.kennywayneshepherd.net/photos/xtremelee/

green68c10 01-28-2005 04:56 PM

Some of us did watch it.It was pretty cool show.