The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Engine & Drivetrain (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   How to ID a camel back or camel hump head, and what good are they? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=331657)

mich.mule 03-03-2009 03:51 AM

How to ID a camel back or camel hump head, and what good are they?

I have just bought a 66 with a 283 and the guy said that there are camel back heads on it, and I would like to know how to ID them to check. And are they any good. The guy raved about them. Also what intakes would best fit them?

Thanks guys.

72freak 03-03-2009 06:01 AM

Re: How to ID a camel back or camel hump head, and what good are they?

I am sure someone will have a picture of the markings.....Camel hump (double hump) heads we GM's high flow heads in the 60's. They were used back in the day for power. Now they are more of a nostalgic piece or legend than something "special" or "hot" to have and to use. Most aftermarket heads now are much better. Its fun to go look at cars that old timers have and listen to them brag about the (double humps) that are on it like it is actually worth something extra.

This could actually be an elusive rare Corvette option!

_TT_TT_ This a a bad example but I thin the markings on the head will look like this. Im sure someone will post a picture later.

jackalope1 03-03-2009 09:39 AM

1 Attachment(s)
not the best photo, but you can see the 2 humps on the end of the head< hence, the word camel humps> heads with drilled holles are newer style camel humps,like early 70's,, most sought after camel humps have no pre drilled holes, . there are 202'valve chambers and 194's hope pic helps

70rs/ss 03-03-2009 02:32 PM

A stock out of the box set of Vortec heads will out perform those heads any day, they are however "worth" something to the old timers who refuse to believe GM built anything performance oriented after about 1970, especially a head put into a truck!!

Tony 03-03-2009 04:51 PM

Did those heads also come as two triangles instead of humps? Or am I confusing them with the old typical "Power Pac" heads?

70rs/ss 03-03-2009 05:25 PM

Yeah triangle are "supposed" to be power pack heads, the humps are just that rounded humps (double humps/camel humps).

Longhorn Man 03-03-2009 05:26 PM

they are good for selling on E-bay... ppl will pay stupid money for marginal parts thinking they are "the shiznit"

Tony 03-03-2009 05:47 PM

Ok,I do remeber the single triangle heads found on 283's and 250 HP 327's.But wasn't there a dual triangle marked head,maybe on like a 61 Fuelie 283 ???

70rs/ss 03-03-2009 06:18 PM

Not sure, I try not to hassle with anything that doesn't have accessory holes!! I have a set of double humps and ebay would be where I'd go to sell them.

OrangeAnimal 03-03-2009 06:22 PM

Don't waste your money on Camel Humps.

884x4Sub 03-04-2009 12:05 AM

are they better than a smog (1985) head???

meansting04 03-04-2009 02:41 PM

I would say yes, they would be way better than stock 85 models. But not knowing all of the specs on yours it would still be a guess.

70rs/ss 03-04-2009 02:45 PM

Yeah, they are better than the 85 heads for the fact that the 85's are thin castings (prone to cracking) along with the bigger cc combustion chambers.

Longhorn Man 03-04-2009 05:38 PM

it's kinda like asking if you are better off constipated, or with diareha.
The money you would spend buying, then fixing up a set of vintage (read;old ass) double hump heads, you could have gotten vortech heads, and the parts needed to run them, and pissibly paid for the tires you'd burn up with the vortech's added power.

mich.mule 03-04-2009 11:04 PM

Thanks everyone for your advice it sounds like you all are going with the new Vortec technology, these heads were on the truck when I bought it so I havent changed them yet, I was wanting to go air gap intake but without changing the oil filler hole can you go ari gap intake with vortec heads, thanks again for the addvice an pics

mich.mule 03-04-2009 11:12 PM

After looking on my heads I noticed one triangle on the front of the head are these power pac heads

Marv D 03-05-2009 10:43 AM

The guy told you they were 'double hump' heads and they have a triangle casting identifier... sounds like he needs a @$$ beating. He flat lied to you.
I agree with everyone else,, they will cost so much to refurbish, they are not worth messing with. Most need new exhaust seats to tolerate the unleaded pump fuels of today, all new valves, new iron guides, new slroings, locks and retainers, some milling to get them back flat,, you just spent about $650 on a 50 year old technology. I myself am not on the Vortec craze. By the time you buy the dedicated intake top put a carm on the vortecs, buy self aligning roller rockers, and centerbolt valve covers,, you can buy a set of Holley , AFR or other aftermarket aluminum heads for not much more, and make a BUTT LOAD more power. BUT,, heads are where the power is made. Scrimp here, and you throw potential out the window.

just my 2cents

bhoeger70 03-05-2009 09:10 PM

On a 283 I wound'nt get to worked up about powerpack heads, they will work fine in a truck on a small engine like the 283. Just dont expect to rev it to the moon and still make the power you would with a better head.

Anthony Fremont 07-25-2009 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marv D (Post 3181174)
The guy told you they were 'double hump' heads and they have a triangle casting identifier... sounds like he needs a @$$ beating. He flat lied to you.....

just my 2cents

The "right angle" (triangle 041) heads are just as good as "double hump" heads. If I'm not mistaken, they are the factory replacement heads for the "double hump". As was mentioned already, the original double hump heads didn't have accessory holes, but the right angle heads do. Outside of that, they are pretty much the same. I have a set in the garage, they have bronze guides and 64 cc chambers. They are good heads. They aren't vortecs, but they're good heads.

Green Machine 07-25-2009 03:08 PM

Don't the power pac heads (single triangle over a rectangle base marking) only have 1.72 inake valves ? Even a 283 bore will clear a 1.94 intake, still tons of machine work and parts to get old parts like that up to spec.

Dying2Live 07-25-2009 05:25 PM

The double hump heads didn't have accessory holes until 1968. Any of them '67 and older have no holes. The double hump heads made more power than my "hecho en mexico" heads. I don't see a problem with them, but big money can be spent on them. I only have about $100 in my heads, not including the $275 that I paid for the motor. I will have go with the vortecs the next time, but until them, I'll enjoy them in my S10.

Lugnut64052 07-25-2009 06:50 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's a chart with some associated casting numbers.

Dying2Live 07-25-2009 08:57 PM

Right click save as!! That is quite handy. Thanks:metal:

bigsnookmaster 07-26-2009 08:09 AM

I would drive it like it is, and if you want to go faster add about 123 more cubic inches down the road!

hnoor0077 05-04-2016 01:22 AM

The double hump heads made more power than my "hecho en mexico" heads. I don't see a problem with them, but big money can be spent on them....