The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   TBI Distributor (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=765580)

cfan10 06-13-2018 10:33 PM

TBI Distributor

3 Attachment(s)
Can anyone chime in and tell me if the pick up coil looks like its trashed?
It has slight up and down play. Truck runs for a second and cuts out, a few years back I would drive and it would kill all power would just cut out, it would always start right back up.
Happened on the HOV in Houston once, scary s@#t!
I had the ignition control module tested its good, none of the part stores test ignition coil.
I am waiting to hit the junkyard to get a few electronic spark modules since the price is $5 each to eliminate that part.

1990 suburban 5.7 TBI/700r4 transferred to a 1991 suburban

Does anyone know where I can find the in tank fuel pump 3 plug wire? I bought one on eBay and it has 4 wires, not wanting to drop the tank at the junkyard just for that.

As always many thanks for your help, it is greatly appreciated!

Wwes 06-14-2018 12:57 AM

Re: TBI Distributor

Looks can be deceiving on the pickup coil.

I can say I'd keep that one in there over getting the cheap Chinese ones sold in the parts stores. I went through two in my truck, before finally getting a junkyard GM one that doesn't look the best, but works fine always.

I'd check the coil connections and ground wire connections.

For the tank connectors, I had to get the three wire ones at a J/Y.

hatzie 06-14-2018 01:16 AM

You might want to clean the rust and crud out of the rotor. The picture is a little blurry so I can't see any evidence of arcing but it's not a good idea to have a bunch of crud that close to the HT connection to the cap.

Don't re-install the ignition module without heatsink grease. It'll burn up pretty quick. You can use PC CPU heatsink grease. Super Lube 98003 works. DO NOT USE DIELECTRIC GREASE!!!! Dielectric grease is an insulator.

Stay away from the Chinese crap parts. You can get OEM GM quality parts you just need to know what you're looking for... AC Delco Professional and Delphi are GM OEM parts and they aren't that expensive. The yard machines may have the Chinese garbage. $5 for used garbage is worse than the new Chinese garbage.

A brand new AC Delco D1943A ignition module is right around $35 brand new on Amazon. The Delco modules keep working for a long long time. How much do you get paid per hour?... that $5 ignition module that may last for a few weeks or months probably actually costs you nearly what the new Delco or Delphi part does when you factor in your precious Saturday time to drive to the yard and pull the unknown condition part.

If you figure the pickup coil is borked you can get a brandy new GM Delphi CE10005 small cap HEI pickup coil around $10 from Rockauto.

The new GM Delphi GN10048 ignition coil is right around $20 from Rockauto.

Get the Mercury/Mercruiser 808483Q1 Marine V8 cap and rotor kits with brass terminals... They are right around $30 for a kit. Brass terminals will run around 50,000 miles aluminum will run a third to half of that.

The stock 1990 RV series has a 12059473 two position Weatherpak tower on the sender and fuel pump power wires and a ring terminal on the sender ground. The mating shroud half is on the chassis wiring.
There's a two terminal connector inside the tank on the fuel pump and the sender wire runs right to the rheostat windings.
Got a picture of the connector you're trying to match?

This guy is stripping down and re-building a small cap TBI HEI on a T400 CK model... It's the exact same unit as your RV series. Not much to em compared to the large cap HEI.
Be sure to set the shim pack between the gear and the housing so the end play is in the 0.015" - 0.020" range. Try to get it as close to 0.015" as you can... Yes the ECM will compensate but it's better to give it less to worry about.

cfan10 06-14-2018 10:03 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Thanks a million for the replies!
The old in tank wire and the new.

hatzie 06-14-2018 10:59 AM

The both look like aftermarket arrangements. The Spectra and Dorman senders don't seem to work quite as well as the original GM parts. Probably part of how the donors ended up at the parts breaker yard.

Again, some things are worth yarding for and some are not. I steer clear of this kind of electrical parts at the yard.

You can get a stock 1988-1991 RV Suburban GM Delphi HP10021 assembled sender/fuel pump hangar with the stock GM Walbro fuel pump already installed for between $100 & $260 depending on where you source it.
This one is $98 with 2 day prime $0 shipping. No monkey business with the wiring just plug it into the chassis harness and bolt down the ground.
https://www.amazon.com/Delphi-HP1002.../dp/B001FDUGQY

If you intend to keep it a long time get a fuel pump cover from a 2000-2005 W-Body Impala and cut an access hole in the floor under the carpet. You could just use a floor patch section with some presstite tape (dum dum tape) and sheet metal screws... A little body work is a lot nicer than pulling the tank to service the fuel pump and it's hidden under the carpet.

cfan10 06-14-2018 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hatzie (Post 8281145)
The both look like aftermarket arrangements. The Spectra and Dorman senders don't seem to work quite as well as the original GM parts. Probably part of how the donors ended up at the parts breaker yard.

Again, some things are worth yarding for and some are not. I steer clear of this kind of electrical parts at the yard.

You can get a stock 1988-1991 RV Suburban GM Delphi HP10021 assembled sender/fuel pump hangar with the stock GM Walbro fuel pump already installed for between $100 & $260 depending on where you source it.
This one is $98 with 2 day prime $0 shipping. No monkey business with the wiring just plug it into the chassis harness and bolt down the ground.
https://www.amazon.com/Delphi-HP1002.../dp/B001FDUGQY

If you intend to keep it a long time get a fuel pump cover from a 2000-2005 W-Body Impala and cut an access hole in the floor under the carpet. You could just use a floor patch section with some presstite tape (dum dum tape) and sheet metal screws... A little body work is a lot nicer than pulling the tank to service the fuel pump and it's hidden under the carpet.

Thanks again always expert advice! I'll buy this Friday.