The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans & Panels Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Spare Cover For The Burb (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=626002)

67 Burb 04-22-2014 12:23 AM

Spare Cover For The Burb

2 Attachment(s)
I got my Burb with a crappy vinyl spare cover and was on the lookout for something better to replace it. Well, one day as my son and I are driving down the street to the hardware store, I spot this big white thing right in the middle of an intersection with all the traffic navigating around it (thankfully). I realize what it is, just as I pass by, but by then it's too late to stop, so I continue on my way. A while later, I'm done my business at the store and heading back, and what-do-you-know, that white thing is still there, right where it was before. I tell my son to get ready to bail out and retrieve that thing as I pull into a nearby parking lot.

I put it on the lost-and-found e-classifieds for about a week with no response. So, you know the 9/10ths rule ? It's now mine.

It wasn't too beat-up, so I cut it down, and now have a nice spare cover.

I really have to get that name off, though. :lol:

dougo 04-22-2014 02:04 AM

Re: Spare Cover For The Burb

Score! Cool find... Also nice of you to advertise it as lost, in case someone was looking for it. Looks like it fits well.

72MARIO 04-22-2014 06:15 AM

That looks awesome !

4shongo 04-22-2014 09:16 AM

Nice mod, time to visit some junk yards

67 Burb 04-22-2014 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4shongo (Post 6640632)
Nice mod, time to visit some junk yards

Just follow an older RAV4 around, theirs is bound to fall off. :lol::lol:

Funny thing was, a buddy of mine owns an older RAV4, and his vinyl spare cover was badly weathered, and had been looking for one of these plastic ones for a while. (Which I didn't know, by-the-way.) When I showed him my new acquisition, he freaked, and and hollered "YOU CUT IT IN HALF?????" I felt a little bad, but he got over it.

And, I did like your suitcase speaker box too.

67 Burb 08-11-2014 04:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I just couldn't leave that name on the spare tire cover any longer.

Here's it now.

70cst 08-11-2014 11:23 PM

Sweet :metal:

LockDoc 08-12-2014 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 67 Burb (Post 6797853)
I just couldn't leave that name on the spare tire cover any longer.

Here's it now.

:lol:.. I wondered how long it would take you. Looks good!

LockDoc

67 Burb 08-13-2014 12:51 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by LockDoc (Post 6798913)
:lol:.. I wondered how long it would take you. Looks good!

LockDoc

Thanks, Leon. I had been keeping a toolbox in front the "TOYOTA".

If anyone is wondering, that "CHEVY" emblem is a genuine GM part. From Mexico, GM# 94667613. The ones I have on the front fenders are also GM parts from Mexico - GM# 93425680.

Hart_Rod 03-05-2018 09:49 AM

Thanks for posting this. I plan on using your idea if you don't mind. Could you possibly provide more details and pictures of how you installed it and where you cut it of? Thanks,

Rob

67 Burb 03-05-2018 11:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hart_Rod (Post 8203699)
Thanks for posting this. I plan on using your idea if you don't mind. Could you possibly provide more details and pictures of how you installed it and where you cut it of? Thanks,

Rob

It's not really installed. It just sits on the carpet. I guess it should be fastened in place, but it doesn't move around and I haven't figured out how to fasten it down. I was thinking of using some sort of stretchy straps. Unfortunately, I didn't take pictures of the cutting-up, but all I did was determine how tall it needed to be, mark the cut line with masking tape and go at it with the jigsaw. I just used a square to make sure it would stand up straight. I lucked out and aced it with the first cut.

Hart_Rod 03-06-2018 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 67 Burb (Post 8204447)
It's not really installed. It just sits on the carpet. I guess it should be fastened in place, but it doesn't move around and I haven't figured out how to fasten it down. I was thinking of using some sort of stretchy straps. Unfortunately, I didn't take pictures of the cutting-up, but all I did was determine how tall it needed to be, mark the cut line with masking tape and go at it with the jigsaw. I just used a square to make sure it would stand up straight. I lucked out and aced it with the first cut.

Thanks for the info. would you happen to have any pictures of it uninstalled? I'm just trying to get an idea of how you did yours. Mine will be in by the end of the week and hopefully I will have a game plan on how I want to get it mounted. Thanks for your help. :metal:

67 Burb 03-06-2018 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hart_Rod (Post 8204609)
Thanks for the info. would you happen to have any pictures of it uninstalled? I'm just trying to get an idea of how you did yours. Mine will be in by the end of the week and hopefully I will have a game plan on how I want to get it mounted. Thanks for your help. :metal:

Sorry, I don't have any pictures of it other than those I posted. As I stated in my previous post, it was quite straight forward. I just measured the height I needed, marked a horizontal line and cut it.

I can't take pictures of it now as The Burb is in winter storage, and have to wait until two pontoon boats move out of the way so I can get it out.

67 Burb 04-26-2018 01:14 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hart_Rod (Post 8204609)

Got the Burb out of winter storage this week. Here are a few photos of the spare cover out of the vehicle. I put a piece of door edge protector on the cover because it just sits against the side wall of the vehicle. My cover stands about 18" tall.

Hart_Rod 04-26-2018 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 67 Burb (Post 8248258)
Got the Burb out of winter storage this week. Here are a few photos of the spare cover out of the vehicle. I put a piece of door edge protector on the cover because it just sits against the side wall of the vehicle. My cover stands about 18" tall.