The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Suspension (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Magnetic angle locator suggestions (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=759412)

G-NUT 03-16-2018 11:47 AM

Magnetic angle locator suggestions

I'm looking to buy a magnetic angle locator so I can set my rear axle pinion angle. I'm installing a rear Porterbuilt extreme setup. There seem to be so many angle locator brands out there with so many varying reviews on each. Anyone on here have a suggestion?

tinydb84 03-16-2018 01:19 PM

Re: Magnetic angle locator suggestions

I have a Johnson brand but any of them should be fine. You can use your phone too.

Killer Bee 03-16-2018 01:25 PM

must have been reading my mind, thinking about this very thing.. gonna be welding mounts on my first axle mod very soon..

I'm all ears folks :)

https://dl.dropbox.com/s/ebsjpfp3t0s...donor.jpg?dl=0

G-NUT 03-16-2018 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Killer Bee (Post 8213262)
must have been reading my mind, thinking about this very thing.. gonna be welding mounts on my first axle mod very soon..

I'm all ears folks :)

https://dl.dropbox.com/s/ebsjpfp3t0s...donor.jpg?dl=0

Hey! Did you sneak and take a pic of my rear axle and wheels? Looks just about how mine has for about the last 3 years. Just recently sent it out to be narrowed and rebuilt.

G-NUT 03-16-2018 02:06 PM

I've done many things over the years but I've never removed / installed a rear axle, much less one where I'm doing something such as installing a bagged parrallel 4-link (my PB stuff). So this will be a first for me. I'm mechnically inclined, know how to use the Internet, search this forum, and have Porterbuilt to call on so I "think" I will be fine ... :waah:

G-NUT 03-16-2018 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tinydb84 (Post 8213258)
I have a Johnson brand but any of them should be fine. You can use your phone too.

Thank you.

Killer Bee 03-16-2018 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by G-NUT (Post 8213281)
Hey! Did you sneak and take a pic of my rear axle and wheels? Looks just about how mine has for about the last 3 years. Just recently sent it out to be narrowed and rebuilt.

lol, hey, it was a guy on craigslist so I just handed over some $$ no questions and split :exit:

those wheels are actually the 8 lug take-offs from my '65.. borrowed them from behind the garage to wheel that sucker around..

h e a v y! and 4:10 posi that rolls smooth and nothing butchered :metal:

taking it to work this afternoon to pressure wash after shift tonight!

you'll probably beat me to the actual task, I'm 3 years behind you and my schedule is probably slower than yours :lol:

you lead, I'll follow.. good luck!

Quote:

thanks for the tip!

mongocanfly 03-16-2018 05:42 PM

I have several of the digital magnetic angle finders...they're kinda noname brand but I've checked them against known angles and they are accurate......I got mine off ebay but lowes and hd have very similar ones

SierraMtns 03-16-2018 11:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mongocanfly (Post 8213438)
I have several of the digital magnetic angle finders...they're kinda noname brand but I've checked them against known angles and they are accurate......I got mine off ebay but lowes and hd have very similar ones

Do you have to calibrate them back to level every time? I was looking at these and it seems like you have to calibrate them.

mongocanfly 03-16-2018 11:35 PM

the ones I have self calibrate when you turn them on....

SierraMtns 03-16-2018 11:36 PM

Quote:

I have a Johnson one too. I first picked up a blue one from Home Depot but after getting home I noticed the package said accuracy was +/- 2* which was to much for me.

The Johnson 700 model says accuracy within +/- 0.30*. Much better.

G-NUT 03-21-2018 01:31 PM

Thanks for the replies guys. I've been eyeballing a digital one I found on Home Depot's website. I've also been thinking about that Johnson 700. I'll probably go with the 700 from HD.

mongocanfly 03-21-2018 03:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)
the ones I have are the same that baleigh indust sells....I got mine off ebay...

G-NUT 03-21-2018 04:51 PM

Nice. Thanks for that.

sweetk30 03-21-2018 10:12 PM

1 Attachment(s)
had this guy for years .

i love you can set zero on any surface then us that to find your current angle.

so if the shop floor is NOT level you zero it on the floor and then go to town .

saved me a lot over the years .

sweetk30 03-21-2018 10:14 PM

also watch them old dana rears . they can be course spline axles in them . can be upgraded but cost as much or more than another whole newer axle .

i like dodge 94-up style fine spline and posi and abs tone ring for use with aftermarket speedo .