The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Any RCMP around? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=672831)

davepl 06-04-2015 01:53 PM

Any RCMP around?

I'd like to get in touch with a 67-72 truck-loving RCMP officer who might have a way to verify if the purple trucks we see in Canada were originally a purple-red color scheme used by the RCMP. Someone mentioned it in another thread but there was no followup info.

And before some cracker makes a joke about the red dress uniform, Marines don't wear the shoulder doilies or swords every day either - that is also a dress uniform, and RCMP normally dress as normal police or tactical members. Sorry, it's a sore spot for some of us, just thought I'd head that off up front...

Already Gone 06-04-2015 02:25 PM

Re: Any RCMP around?

Back in the mid 70's the blue they used had a purple hue/ting to it. I bought a used 77 Dodge Aspen A38 Package from the RCMP and it was blue
but the earlier 70's ones had that purple tinge to the blue. My boss is a retired 30 year member that started in 1970. I'll ask him if he remembers purple and red cars/trucks although he isn't a car guy.

kcsa75 06-04-2015 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davepl (Post 7198104)
I'd like to get in touch with a 67-72 truck-loving RCMP officer who might have a way to verify if the purple trucks we see in Canada were originally a purple-red color scheme used by the RCMP. Someone mentioned it in another thread but there was no followup info.

And before some cracker makes a joke about the red dress uniform, Marines don't wear the shoulder doilies or swords every day either - that is also a dress uniform, and RCMP normally dress as normal police or tactical members. Sorry, it's a sore spot for some of us, just thought I'd head that off up front...

Cracker?

dubds10 06-04-2015 06:14 PM

Any pics of said colours?

davepl 06-04-2015 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kcsa75 (Post 7198314)
Cracker?

I'm from Canada, maybe that's not the right word :-)

Hillbilly? What would be the American term for "insensitive boob that thinks RCMP officers ride horses and bright red uniforms all day"?

Maybe it's "boob".

special-K 06-04-2015 09:56 PM

It's ok Dave, we understand they're not all Dudley Doorights. Just like ours aren't Quick Draw McGraws and Deputy Dawgs. I figured by crackers you could have meant "wise crackers". That purple is more representative of Crown Royal than it is RCMP

leddzepp 06-04-2015 10:07 PM

What's the big deal about a red uniform :confused:

leddzepp 06-04-2015 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by special-K (Post 7198704)
I figured by crackers you could have meant "wise crackers".

I did as well, however to someone from the South it has a whole other meaning.

davepl 06-04-2015 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by leddzepp (Post 7198726)
What's the big deal about a red uniform :confused:

I don't care that much anymore (been here 20+ years), but when you're in Canada, it gets annoying how the US views you. We don't live in igloos, mounties don't wear red dress uniforms daily, and so on. When Saving Private Ryan came out I mentioned that my grandfather had also landed on D-Day, and was told that only the US was involved (Juno had as high a casualty rate as Omaha and these guys didn't know Canada existed, even though it was in the war 3 years earlier). That kind of stuff. But if you watch an episode of JayWalking where they interview Americans about their own country, you realize it's not malice... the general population just isn't that educated.

Now, conversely, Canadians think it should be reciprocal. We study the US extensively in grade school, but the US does not do so for Canada. That bugs Canadians. Not me... it's because the US is a Superpower and Canada is a resource satellite. Different things.

This Beer ad puts it better than I could (though I don't agree with him on everything of course):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRI-A3vakVg

Cheers,
Dave

hugger6933 06-06-2015 06:33 PM

I've never been to the neighbor to the north but I have always viewed the RCMP as brave people that serve their people with great tradition and dignity. Jim

CG 06-06-2015 07:11 PM

Maybe because I live so close to Canada and have been there many times and the Canadians come down to Washington state a bunch, I've never thought of them as anything but nice folks. I do enjoy world history, and am very aware of the Canadians role.

I have a basic understanding of how your government works, but honestly I don't think about it at all. My head is always exploding over what goes on down here in our government lol. I would have to say though if I was Canadian I would want to know what's going on below because you never know what us crazy Americans are gonna do next lol.

Hey next time you see the McKenzie brothers say hey for me =)

Grumpy old man 06-06-2015 07:21 PM

Crackers was a term given to the cattle ranchers in Florida for the bull whips they used herding cattle thru the scrub brush . I just amazed at some of these posts do you really think that way or are you merely posting such things for our pure enjoyment ?:lol:

kbill45@gmail.com 06-06-2015 09:20 PM

I was a USAF radar operator stationed in Beaverlodge, Alberta during Korea. With a fondness for Canadian beer, amazing Alberta girls and just raising hell I had more contact with RCMP than I care to remember. OK! You have done the math. I am 82. So!

kcsa75 06-07-2015 02:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davepl (Post 7198679)

Hillbilly? What would be the American term for "insensitive boob that thinks RCMP officers ride horses and bright red uniforms all day"?

Maybe it's "boob".

I had a pretty good idea what you meant, I was just surprised to hear a guy in the Northwest use that term as it tends to be a southern expression. ;)

Aside from that, certain people need to tone it down or we're going to close this thread.

hilandr452 06-07-2015 03:35 AM

There's an old parody of the RCMP in a Ren and Stimpy cartoon where they called them the Royal Canadian Kilted Yaksmen. They even have a theme song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsHY5XEx_hU

Please understand this is a CARTOON and meant to be FUNNY.

:lol:
:flagw:
:gmc2:

special-K 06-07-2015 08:31 AM

I know so little about differences between USA and Canada because they are mostly so much the same. At least that's how I view Canadians, pretty much the same as me. Look around the Canadian provinces or around the states and you can find greater differences province to province and state to state than Canada to USA. BTW, we are all American. Top of Canada all the way down to the tip of South America.

Borgie 01-06-2017 11:33 PM

2 Attachment(s)
This is the purple he was speaking about!

Already Gone 01-06-2017 11:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Borgie (Post 7817175)
This is the purple he was speaking about!

That is original purple just like the 70 Longhorn I had and it should say Special Paint on the spid.

Borgie 01-06-2017 11:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Already Gone (Post 7817191)
That is original purple just like the 70 Longhorn I had and it should say Special Paint on the spid.

Yes sir! That it does.

zicc1835 01-07-2017 12:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Borgie (Post 7817195)
Yes sir! That it does.

thats pretty cool the COLOR PURPLE! never new that thanks for the education from our good neighbors to the north

Gmc.guy 01-07-2017 01:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kbill45@gmail.com (Post 7200716)
I was a USAF radar operator stationed in Beaverlodge, Alberta during Korea. With a fondness for Canadian beer, amazing Alberta girls and just raising hell I had more contact with RCMP than I care to remember. OK! You have done the math. I am 82. So!

Good old Beaverlodge. Haha. I spent a couple years up there about 10 years ago. I'll copy what you said just replace the USAF with pipelining.

Gmc.guy 01-07-2017 01:43 AM

There is many other levels of police here. Federal, provincial, municipal, DOT, aboriginal, F+W I think the first three you would find standard colors but there is wacky setups in the others. F+W was turquoise type colour with white doors for a long time. You see bylaw and city guys driving ford Rangers. Unmarked tan, black, dark red magnums and chargers, Tahoe/burbs I guess some communities may have had the special colors on their rigs but usually rcmp are well marked similar to American. Good old crown Vic all striped up. .

(Edit: I see the original post is older now)

James the III 01-07-2017 03:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davepl (Post 7198679)

Maybe it's "boob".

I blame my childhood

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...5537b0c822.jpg

Gmc.guy 01-07-2017 04:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by James the III (Post 7817325)

At least only about 20% of Canada is like the trailer park boys. Ok, maybe 30% :lol:

special-K 01-07-2017 09:29 AM

I don't think that purple offered on our trucks in Canada is the color RCMP used. It was a color available to the general public. There were a few others the states never saw made available to them