The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Anybody here into Rat Rod look? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=78996)

ChevLoRay 11-30-2003 10:18 PM

Anybody here into Rat Rod look?

I have owned my '69 for 4 years, done some suspension work, but otherwise left it like I bought it. Now, I realize that I'm getting older, and so is my truck. If I don't take care of me, and the truck, neither one of us will live to be much older.

So, I've always wanted a hot rod, like an A on Deuce rails, so to speak. The '69 ain't no roadster, but the rat rod look appeals to me, so much so, that I am seriously considering the frame-on restification, with the body being painted a semi-flat black and traditional flames on the hood/front fenders. Imagine, if you will, some of the 28-32 Fords that you've seen, with black primer and flames, and that is the style I'm looking for. A set of steelies and caps, with big and littles, and a little chrome on each end, and you have it. Still wanna go with a decent interior, so the A/C and sounds are a priority. With a Goodwrench crate 350 and a 700R4, it should be good for the long haul.

I figure that it should be doable for less than $15K, considering that new trucks with comparable features are easily over $20K.

So, anyone into rat rods?

shuttermutt 11-30-2003 10:30 PM

Holy frijoles! I've been thinking about a nearly identical build-up for my 67 for the last couple of days! With so many slammed day-glo trucks running around, it'd be neat to do something a little uncharacteristic and old school.

I'm thinking of building the truck around the "Ace of Spades" theme. I've got a really neat idea for the tailgate. Basically, I'd remove the stock gate, roll the edges of the bed, and put in a trick tubular rig complete with an ace of spades welded in the center.

The interior? Custom job with brushed aluminum and... get this... baseball glove leather for the seats and trim complete with the glove stitching. No radical hacking, but custom gauges and all that.

Powering the beast? I'm thinking a 396 with the 6-speed I've been wondering what to do with. I'd keep a pretty stock stance. Maybe even bring it up a little to clear some healthy meat. It's a SWB with small rear glass so I wouldn't want to take 'er up too much.

If you like to gamble, I tell you I'm your man
you win some, lose some, it's all the same to me
The pleasure is to play, it makes no difference what you say
I don't share your greed, the only card I need is
the Ace of Spades
the Ace of Spades

Playin' for the high one, dancin' with the devil
going with the flow, it's all a game to me
7 or 11, snake eyes watching you
Double up or quit, double stake or split
the Ace of Spades
the Ace of Spades

You know I'm born to lose
and gamblin's made for fools
But that's the way I like it baby
I don't want to live forever

and don't forget the joker

Pushing up the ante, I know you got to see me
read 'em and weep, the dead man's hand again
I see it in your eyes, take one look and die
The only thing you see, you know it's gonna be
the Ace of Spades
the Ace of Spades

Stroker 11-30-2003 10:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I've given some thought to the rat rod look also. It sure would save a guy a bundle of $$$ on paint. If I ever get the current prodject done the next truck is going to be a rat rod driver. This pic is the one that got me thinking slammed rat rod truck. A little art work and it would be there.

knucklebuster 11-30-2003 11:03 PM

I think it would look good as hell.I've been toyin with that idea also.Just waitin to see one done right.There you go that's all the motivation you need!
shuttermutt,that baseball glove leather sounds sweet.I've been thinkin about goin with some of the seats outta king ranch f 150(forgive me)have you seen those?They've got the worn leather look to them.

ChevLoRay 11-30-2003 11:29 PM

Arrrrright!

Now we got something goin!

I was hopin' I wasn't alone on this. I can't do the work myself, but I have found a shop that is into old/older stuff, like street rods and such.

I actually want my paint job to be durable, but look like primer. I know you've seen it on street rods before. One way is to use some flattener in a gloss paint; another is to add some clear to a black primer. Either way, you should end up with a long-lasting paint job, that looks old skool, but is durable.

I have already lowered my truck by using spindles in the front, and springs in the rear, for a 2.5/4.0 drop. I need to take the front down another inch, and the back another 2 inches.

My idea on the tail gate is to eliminate the latch, swapping it to the inside. Then, I want to use the same lower tailgate trim, in place of the 3-piece upper trim, just for looks. With an otherwise stock tailgate, my intent is to cause people to look and wonder what is different.

I don't want my side trim, anymore, so it is going. I'm gonna fill in the side marker lights and the stake pocket holes. I'm gonna leave the gas filler neck in place, but put the tank in the bed to free up a little room in the cab for some sounds. Mirrors? I'm thinkin' about some '67 Impala/Camaro round "Bowtie" mirrors, mounted in the stock location.

I'm gonna Rhino the bed, because I don't intend to leave it parked. My intent is for it be a driver that doesn't draw every snot-nosed kid to it to check it out....like I did when I was younger. With a tonneau cover on the bed, I intend to keep the look of an older hot rod. With flames on the hood and front fenders, it'll just perpetuate the hot rods that we grew up on.

At my age (56), I had better get on with it. If I don't spend some of my 401k money, the kids are going to fight over it. I put up with their fighting for a long time, so now it's my turn to spend their inheritance!

shuttermutt 12-01-2003 12:02 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by knucklebuster
shuttermutt,that baseball glove leather sounds sweet.I've been thinkin about goin with some of the seats outta king ranch f 150(forgive me)have you seen those?They've got the worn leather look to them.
The first time I saw it was on a motorcycle saddle, but I think it'd be trick as all heck for a full interior treatment. It'd probably be expensive, but man... it'd be sah-weet! I hadn't thought about the King Ranch seats. That'd be pretty trick, too!

Yeah, I think this is what I'm gonna do with my 67. I think we've got the start of another "unofficial" club here! :D

weasel29gm 12-01-2003 12:13 AM

I like the "RAT ROD'' look, seems like every show or magazine this year has got em' in it. Seen some nice trucks done that way.:bowtie: :bowtie:

Glen 12-01-2003 01:06 AM

Kind'a like this:

http://www.hotrodsbyglen.net/27wslicks.jpg

Stroker 12-01-2003 01:17 AM

Quote:

Kind'a like this:
That's sweeeeet! You guys are making me think twice about that high $$$ H.O.C. candy paint.

fast_dev 12-01-2003 01:21 AM

1 Attachment(s)
kinda something like this??? just with steelies. and a little nicer of course.

Porkchop 12-01-2003 01:32 AM

That would be a great look.

GMC JUNKIE TOO 12-01-2003 01:34 AM

1 Attachment(s)
This is how I want to do my 65 gmc mabey one of these days if I can ever finish the panel.

krazy_texan 12-01-2003 01:50 AM

i thought about doing that a while back to a longbed i had found for 1500dollars

i was going to lower it just a little maybe a 3/4 drop
but i was going to put a fuel cell in the back and shave the gas cap and then put a stock bench in it covered with a bright green and yellow mexican pancho or something of that nature then have lime green smoothie wheels and chrome caps have lime green pinstriping down the sides of the truck and around the hood and also have the tailgate letters done in lime green and then go with something like a 455 buick motor and a 5 speed richmond tranny and maybe a ford 9 inch, but the drivetrain would not come for some time as the truck already had a 383, oh and to give it that unfinished look i would take the dash pad off of it, oh not to mention if i did this it would be a 71 or 72 and would have clear lenses all around with bluedots and leds in the back

ChevLoRay 12-01-2003 08:52 AM

Stroker, you're right. We need an "unofficial" club. The T is spot-on, with some flames. It's a shame we can't run without a hood, but these trucks look really tacky without one....like they're unfinished.

Randy70C-10 12-01-2003 09:07 AM

ChevLoRay- I'll sell you my Model A, need money to buy a chopper. :D $22,000

Zumo 12-01-2003 11:42 AM

It's the only way to go. :)
Sort of :D

ChevLoRay 12-01-2003 12:30 PM

Randy, I'd love to, but I really have my mind set on a roadster, after I finish my truck.

Your coupe looks a lot like the one I was in on New Year's Eve, 1966. A buddy was driving his and we encountered some ice on a hill that had a stop sign at the bottom of the hill. We did a couple of 360's and stopped at the sign.

Nice try, though. Your car looks good.

Randy70C-10 12-01-2003 12:33 PM

Yeah, Roadsters are cool, I want a '32. The 50's look is definatley "in" too. Glen's 27 looks awsome. :cool:

ratrod67 12-01-2003 12:49 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Yea, I like the black primer look. I have a set of rallys I want to widen so I can get rid of my Weld Dragstars. Then I need to finish the primer and find someone to stripe it for me.

<----------ratrod67:D

knucklebuster 12-01-2003 12:54 PM

Allright then let's make it official.What's the name of the club gonna be!First things first gonna change my avatar!!ha haI think it'd be cool to icorporate some everyday stuff in one kinda like how Billy Lane does his bikes.Nothin tacky though

BtnkBndt 12-01-2003 12:56 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Ooooh, old school. I love it!

I've got a ton of stuff scanned for reference. I want the sixties look on mine one day. Just like it would've been if I was doing it in the day. Almost too bad it has to nice paint job, maybe a few door dings down the road. I'd like to take it back to its original black but in suede. A nice Rat Fink on the lower fender just behind the front wheel well.
:burnout:

Randy70C-10 12-01-2003 12:59 PM

If you really want a 60's look, stick a chain-driven blower on it. (watch your fingers though) :lol:

shuttermutt 12-01-2003 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by ChevLoRay
Stroker, you're right. We need an "unofficial" club. The T is spot-on, with some flames. It's a shame we can't run without a hood, but these trucks look really tacky without one....like they're unfinished.
Oh, I see... so Stroker gets the credit for the club idea, eh? I see how it is! :D

I can Photoshop better than I can weld. Let's get some ideas together for a name and logo. I'll volunteer to put together some designs for everyone to laugh at. Gotta be something in the Rat Fink or nose art style!

67sub 12-01-2003 01:11 PM

So, is my suburban too big for this look? I've been thinking something close, but my wife keeps saying it would look wierd. I thought that was the point - something different.

ChevLoRay 12-01-2003 01:16 PM

Shuttermutt.....I'm sorry...please forgive me....it was dark....and I didn't know....

Okay, Stroker. I gotta give shutternutt the credit for the new "unofficial" club.

So, shutternutt, how about we go with, oh, let's say, just for tickles and grins....maybe....Old Skool.

I love the Rat Fink stuff. I have magazines from the '60's, that are loaded with RF ads.

Howabout a 67-72 truck, SWB, wide or stepside, in primer, flamed, with a blower stickin' out of the hood, and a hole in the roof with a gnarly RF-type character holdin' on to a gearshift handle stickin' out the roof....big, smokin' tires on the back, and the front end lookin' like it's about 2-ft off the ground....like Ed Roth used to do 'em.