The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Couldn't find a center console so.... (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=756466)

Ewr101 02-05-2018 10:45 PM

Couldn't find a center console so....

4 Attachment(s)
Looked at all the premade consoles and the factory one but didn't find one I wanted so I thought I'd just make one. 12" wide, 15" tall, (without the arm rest cushion) and 30" long. I didn't want to totally separate the driver and passenger sides so it would lose that open feel. It's gonna have 2 hidden storage compartments. One under the arm rest and one in the very front under a fixed tray. The arm rest compartment will have a removable coin/pen "junk drawer" tray. Between the cup holders will be a voltmeter and USB charge port and then a separate USB/3.5 audio jack that goes to the radio. The voltmeter and USB will be controlled by a push button switch. The whole thing will be rhino lined on the outside and painted on the inside. Sorry for the long post, just wanted to describe it as best I could. I'll post more pics as I go if anyone is interested. Thanks for looking.

GMC-YA68 02-06-2018 01:22 AM

Re: Couldn't find a center console so....

Glad you said “F” it and doing your own...keep us updated.

Tomo 02-06-2018 07:03 AM

Great idea. I like how you can build it and add all the features you want and need with relative ease. I’ll be following along. Do you have utility or sport buckets?

chevyguy_72 02-06-2018 12:15 PM

Nice work...
Here are some other options i found while looking

https://vannattafabrication.com/new-...bucket-seats-1

or a Tuffy locking console...

87Skier 02-06-2018 06:32 PM

I did the same thing. It's a great learning experience, but I messed up a bunch. I plan on making a new one to replace the one I made.

Not sure how you plan on covering it, but I bought 1/4" foam and glued that over the wood, then covered with vinyl.

Ewr101 02-07-2018 10:30 PM

My Blazer has just the regular ole seats in it. Nothing special that I'm aware of. To be honest I don't know the difference between utility and sport bucket seats. Hahaha! I'm gonna sand it down a little, spread some wood filler on and sand it some more to smooth out the plywood then rattle can the inside. The outside will be rattle can bedliner. I can't sew and don't want to spend the money on wrapping it. Finishing it the way I plan on still allows me to upholster it later. I gotta finish my on call rotation at work this week and recover from Mardi Gras this weekend and I'll hit it again early next week with some more progress pics. Thanks y'all!

Ewr101 02-13-2018 09:18 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Not a lot of progress but some. Weather went to hell Sunday and Monday, got chilly again.... Going to need the air compressor shortly to glue and brad then it's on to filler and sanding. I'll post more pics as I go. Thanks!

Ewr101 02-23-2018 10:29 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Almost done. Came out a little rougher than I wanted but that's ok. Still way better than what I have now. Still need to make the lid and upholster the top of it to make the arm rest. Hopefully sometime this weekend it'll be done and in the truck. Thanks for looking!

Ewr101 02-25-2018 10:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)
All done. I'll never try upholstery again. I had the hardest time getting it to look decent. Mad props to all you professional upholsterers!! All in all, it was fun and I don't think it turned out bad at all considering what I had to work with as far as tools and my lack of experience. Next up will be rear side panels and moving my 6x9's into them. Let me know what y'all think!