The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Inconsistent veering (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=788976)

Wildstreak 06-20-2019 02:55 PM

Inconsistent veering

I have a 1971 chevy k10 and recently got it back on the road and it seams to veer inconsistently, it can drive straight for a few miles then it decides it wants to go left then right or right then left, its very unsettling. I know it drove straight before I replaced some things but i cant figure out what is causing the veering. I replaced spring bushing, ball joints, drag link, rag joint and the steering box. As far as i can tell my tow is still in place and everything is straight, and theres zero play anywhere. I may have over tightened my steering box when doing then adjustment, could that cause this? Any ideas on what could be causing the inconsistent veering? any help is appreciated!

cadillac_al 06-21-2019 07:47 PM

Re: Inconsistent veering

I'd say it's the usual suspects. The new front end parts changed your alignment and it needs to be re-aligned. Even a simple toe adjustment can be tricky to get right. If the steering box is adjusted too tight it will make it feel twitchy and have no on-center feel. I would get it aligned and if it still feels twitchy I would loosen the steering box 1/8 of a turn.

CO71Blazer 06-24-2019 12:13 PM

My 71 does the same thing, and as he said, I need to get an alignment done.

1976gmc20 06-25-2019 08:50 PM

Maybe too much toe in, and it's "snowplowing" on one wheel or the other depending on weight shift ???

DWilbur 06-26-2019 09:57 AM

I had similar problems with my Dodge truck I replace everything related with steering from the steering wheel to the gear box twice to the drag links wheel bearings twice. 2 sets of ball joints and in the end to fix the last 15% of my problems it ended up being the leaf spring and shackle bushing on the rear axle. check your rear axle U bolts make sure they are tight. the rear bushing seamed like they were good but in the end it was the issue for me.

Zoomad75 06-29-2019 12:21 AM

Might want to check the frame for cracks at the steering box mount. These trucks are known for it. If the steering box is moving off the frame you are not getting consistent steering from it.

Have somebody turn the wheel with it running while you watch if the box moves away from the frame by any amount. If you see movement it could be the mounting bolts being loose or the frame is cracked or both. It will be time for the ORD steering box brace and frame repair kits.

Magicalzoomer 02-22-2020 01:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wildstreak (Post 8545691)
I have a 1971 chevy k10 and recently got it back on the road and it seams to veer inconsistently, it can drive straight for a few miles then it decides it wants to go left then right or right then left, its very unsettling. I know it drove straight before I replaced some things but i cant figure out what is causing the veering. I replaced spring bushing, ball joints, drag link, rag joint and the steering box. As far as i can tell my tow is still in place and everything is straight, and theres zero play anywhere. I may have over tightened my steering box when doing then adjustment, could that cause this? Any ideas on what could be causing the inconsistent veering? any help is appreciated!

Did you ever find out what was causing your issue? I am having a similar issue in a k5.
Posted via Mobile Device

Stocker 02-24-2020 10:08 AM

Wheels & tires can also contribute to the problem. Too much negative offset (think deep dished wheel that sticks out of the fender) is hard on wheel bearings and can also cause tramlining. Wider tires can have a similar effect, and too much tire pressure can make the problem worse. The OP didn't mention replacing tie rod ends, though he might have since he replaced several other things.

D.PASSMORE 03-07-2020 03:37 PM

I had something similar happen, replaced all tie-rod ends on front end of my 4x4 Blazer, It would start veering around on rough/rutty pavement. Turn out the be a tie rod-end on steering link. The cotter pin fell out and castle nut was started backing down. I couldn't tell because all of the grease. It got squirrely only when driving, though!