The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   OK to use D60 high steer arm just to level out crank arm? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=780450)

webfoot 01-29-2019 06:02 PM

OK to use D60 high steer arm just to level out crank arm?

Not looking to add crossover steering as its not needed on my truck, just trying to level out the drag link some more and eliminate some flex. I have a drag link with a drop built in already but it is still at an angle.

I see they sell high steer arms but I'm not sure if these should be used on factory 4wd steering.

mongocanfly 01-29-2019 06:13 PM

Re: OK to use D60 high steer arm just to level out crank arm?

have you looked at dropped pitman arms? other than that the block under the steering arm has been used for yrs....

jeffahart 01-29-2019 07:02 PM

I have a 4" lift and am using a 2" drop pitman arm with my Dana60. My truck tracks straight over bumps no hands on the $hitty L.A. freeways. It really handles nicely. :chevy:

j

sweetk30 01-29-2019 08:05 PM

you want some drop to the axle end from the box end .

aftermarket arms like your looking at face front NOT the side like stock push/pull needs .

another trick is dodge 60 arm and re-tapper it from the top down to gm size . dodge was much smaller and this is a popular mod for 2-3" correction .

how much lift do you have now ? we can help you get the best option .

webfoot 01-30-2019 12:24 PM

I have 6" lift, but I tossed the steering block as I noticed too much flex in it. Good to know about the high steer arms and glad I asked. It did not help that I had bolts in the kingpin, I bought some studs to replace these.

I had another situation come up to where I would be able to use a reamer. What if I just reamed out the hole, replaced the tie rod end with a heim joint and used a grade 8 bolt and nut with the dodge arm?

sweetk30 01-30-2019 01:04 PM

heim joints dont last as long on street use or some states not legal .

here is a good bang for the buck reamer i have one and it works good if you use it on a low speed drill press or bridgport type mill . https://www.ruffstuffspecialties.com/catalog/REAM.html

i have done a dodge arm to the flip and ream to gm size and it took longer to setup / clean up than it did to punch it out . just have the drag link end handly so you can test fit it a few times with the nut so you know how deep to go for the nut to be tight but get a cotter pin in the hole.

and glad you ditched the spacer block ...... they suck . i had studs on one years ago and never could keep it tight . took it off and went another route . drop drag links are so so items most dont work the best in the real world.

and if your planning on replacing the steering box any time soon save a lot of greff and go full crossover . just cant run a stock sway bar setup with it . but lift springs over 4" range tend to be just right to negate the sway bar use .

webfoot 01-30-2019 03:19 PM

I already replaced it with a Redhead rebuilt stock sytle box.

I don't have either of those things at my disposal, (drill press or a mill) too bad someone doesn't sell the dodge arms pre-drilled for the flip as it seems this would be a common swap on lifted trucks.

I appreciate all the tips.

sweetk30 01-30-2019 05:00 PM

check your pm box . i might be able to help .

BLAZERMAN 02-04-2019 04:17 AM

3 Attachment(s)
I used a Dodge steering arm on my 69 longstep with a 4" lift, did this back in 95 and its still on the road and never a problem.

webfoot 02-04-2019 01:42 PM

Nice, looks like I may be able to go back to the stock crank arm after the swap. Just as well since the boots on this drop arm are already cracking. Rubber these days sucks.