The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Question on short term running engine without coolant (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=790396)

SilverGT3RS 07-17-2019 12:20 PM

Question on short term running engine without coolant

I have a 67 C10 with an LS swap....It is the LQ9 iron block.

Long story behind everything, so short story is I have been working on the truck, and it currently doesn't have a radiator in it.

I need to move the truck out of my garage, and onto a trailer to transport it to its new home. Is it safe to run the engine that long without coolant? I'm guessing no more than 5 minutes of running time.

Thanks!

tinydb84 07-17-2019 12:30 PM

Re: Question on short term running engine without coolant

I wouldn't run it for more than a few seconds. Grab a few friends and push it on the trailer if it doesn't have a winch.

Steeveedee 07-17-2019 12:35 PM

Does it have the coolant hoses on it? You could plug them all after filling the block with water and run it for the time needed (don't run the water pump). Guys fill the water jacket of their drag engines with an epoxy compound for strength. They drive up to the starting line, stage, and race without cooking the engine. I blew a hose on one of my old cars, and drove it several miles by starting it, getting up to speed and then shutting it off and coasting. Or get some help and push it like tiny says.

tinydb84 07-17-2019 12:43 PM

Steve's suggestion would work well. I would have never thought to drive/coast. Great idea!

kidatheart 07-17-2019 01:39 PM

Don’t forget to do something with the tranny lines before you start it if it is an automatic.

Steeveedee 07-17-2019 04:22 PM

:lol: Yeah, I didn't think of that! That could make quite a mess.

68Gold/white 07-17-2019 05:13 PM

I have done what Steve mentioned several times. Maybe even put some duct tape on the lower rad hose outlet on water pump (may need a zip tie to keep it in place), plug the heater hose out lets, cram it full of water..........

saxart 07-17-2019 05:54 PM

Can you push the truck right up to the trailer ramps, then start it so all you have to do is fire it up, drop it in gear and pull it up on the trailer? That shouldn't be more than about 20 seconds if you set it all up right in the first place. That shouldn't hurt it, but at 20 seconds your about at the end of your rope, so either get it up on the trailer in that amount of time, or shut it down and let it cool.

AussieinNC 07-17-2019 06:42 PM

Connect the two auto cooler lines with a piece of rubber tube.

Have the trailer ready, ramps in place, start her up and drive it on, then shut it down....

This WILL NOT HURT THE ENGINE !!!!!!

Just do it and move on....

:chevy::gmc2::chevy::gmc2::chevy:

57taskforce 07-17-2019 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AussieinNC (Post 8560406)

Have the trailer ready, ramps in place, start her up and drive it on, then shut it down....

I agree.

truckster 07-17-2019 08:11 PM

Quote:

That's how I would do it... in fact, I have several times.

leddzepp 07-17-2019 08:46 PM

Quote:

This ^^^

Blue Rat 07-17-2019 08:48 PM

Think I would find a way to get it on trailer with starting it.

jaros44sr 07-18-2019 07:29 AM

Park the tow vehicle with trailer attached at a 90 degree angle to each other, then use a second vehicle to pull the C10 onto trailer. Just did it to get my Jimmy to shop, flawless

ls1nova71 07-18-2019 07:37 AM

It's an LS engine, driving it on to a trailer without coolant wont hurt it. Apparently nobody seems to remember when the LS1 first came out, the Camaro brochure said that in the case of complete coolant loss, the car could be driven up to 50 miles, or something to that effect. Not that I would try that, but a minute or two wont hurt anything. If you're still worried about it, just fill the block with water through the upper hose, the thermostat is in the bottom hose so not much if any water will leak out in a short period of time as long as the belt is off the water pump.

SilverGT3RS 07-18-2019 08:03 AM

Thanks for all the replies everyone, this such a great site. Ended up winching it up on the trailer, and when we off loaded it I had to start the truck for about 25 seconds to get it off an incline so we could continue to roll it into the garage. I can state that everything seems ok, and there weren’t any noises or smoke or fires. Lol.