The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   DIY redline tires with pics (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=762635)

Tork? 04-25-2018 11:07 PM

DIY redline tires with pics

4 Attachment(s)
Making some over all changes to the look of my truck and I like the redline tire look. But redline tires from Coker, BFG, or Diamondback are more than I want to spend on an experiment. So I got these from tirestickers.com. They seem to be the only company offering a quality redline kit. I ordered their tireshine and line cleaner as well since its the same cost as at the store anyways. All in it was around $180 so not the cheapest visual mod but a fraction of getting new tires.

Tires are 205/75/15 Walmart specials. They're whitewalls on one side so there's a nice line to follow on the blackwall side that makes logical sense in the positions. I took my measurements per the site and ordered the kit. These are the 1 piece permanent 3/8" redline kit.

I brought a wheel with on a business trip to have something to do at the hotel. First step is cleaning the area with acetone to help it adhere. then apply a light coat of the supplied "FleXement" it's probably just rubber cement. The redlines are built with a contoured curve to match the measurements you gave them. They go on very easily.

Tork? 04-25-2018 11:09 PM

Re: DIY redline tires with pics

4 Attachment(s)
The redline is made a few inches long so no worries there. Still need to clean the line but i think it looks pretty good! Time will tell how they hold up they'll probably be fine since I barely drive it. I'm going to paint the wheels I will update with pics when that happens.

brown7373 04-26-2018 08:17 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I wonder how they will hold up if used and driven. I used to do redlines over top of whitewalls using a red tire paint marker. I don't think you can get red anymore, but they held up fines for months, then I cleaned the tires and redid them. If this method will hold up, I might try it.

hewittca 04-26-2018 08:47 AM

That looks really good! I was thinking about what mine would look like with red or white lines and this seems like a good way to try it out.

special-K 04-26-2018 08:51 AM

Looks good. I also hope they hold up to the constant flex of radial sidewalls. I know a tire with whitewalls or letter has a layer of white throughout. A friend years ago had a machine for routing out anything you wanted the sidewall to say... Badyear...Firebone...Stop looking at my tires :lol:...anything. Then he could do colors, too. He could cut whitewalls and do redlines, too. I don't think his business got far off the ground, but such capabilities are encouraging. The only off the shelf redlines I've seen (haven't looked lately) were small OEM size. I have talked to DB about making me wide radial 3/8" (came as reline and wide oval whitewalls) whitewalls for my shortbed's 8" red steelies I'll put wheel covers on, for that old man but wide track look

Faastone27 04-26-2018 10:48 AM

Looks pretty good It's tough to get a perfect circle even with the guide line. You did pretty well! I can see the looks you got as your carrying it through the hotel lobby! lol! let us know how it holds up! i too thought about doing redlines on my 22" and 20" setup on my red truck but decided it would be to much red.

davepl 04-26-2018 11:22 AM

Looks good in photos! FWIW, I've had redline radials (the new ones that LOOK like bias ply) on back order from Coker for about 7 months now!

demian5 04-26-2018 01:22 PM

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!

Tork? 05-05-2018 03:26 PM

2 Attachment(s)
A little teaser. MarK full trim arrives this week.