The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=115)
-   -   71 Cheyenne Rooftop Build (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=755668)

cebra 01-26-2018 01:01 PM

71 Cheyenne Rooftop Build

Milestone Updates:
11/19-New Rearend Installed (3.42 with Posi)
9/19 - Bodywork and Paint Complete
5/19 - LS Motor and Manual trans dropped in
5/19 - Frame cut for a proper short bed
1/19 - Pulled old motor/trans
12/18 - Converted long bed to short bed
10/18 - Made a new wire harness and finished interior

Hello, new to the forum and Chevy trucks. I have put in a lot of wrench time over the years on various other vehicles. I purchased a 71 Cheyenne for a resto-mod project in fairly decent shape compared to others I could find locally. I live in a downtown apartment building so I am doing all of the work on the roof of my parking garage which is challenging at times as I have no power. The known issues are: rough idle, severe drip rail rust, door rust, leaking gas tank, and nearly every electronic accessory is not working. Since acquiring this behemoth I have stripped out the interior/dash, put in a new Grant steering wheel, snapped all my j-bolts, and installed aftermarket gauges. My next tasks are fixing all of the wiring issues, replacing the heater core/blower motor, and relocating the gas tank so I don’t have to work on the vehicle high as a kite. My goals are new stock’ish interior, paint/bodywork, static lower a bit, big wheels/tires, and down the road a LS motor and manual trans swap.

Once I can figure out how to shrink pictures down I will upload some. It is red/white for now but I will be doing a color change to (more than likely) black.

cebra 01-26-2018 01:02 PM

Re: 71 Cheyenne Rooftop Build

Also, has anyone ran a 92-93 S10 fuel sender in a 87-90 Wrangler tank? I am wondering if the "lock ring" fits without modification (welding). I think the full size Blazer fuel senders requiring cutting and welding to not hit the bottom of the tank if my research is correct.

hewittca 01-26-2018 01:57 PM

Welcome to the forum. I used to do parking lot/deck repairs on my other project when i was in college at ASU. You definitely have to get creative with it sometimes! Looking forward to seeing some pics of the project.

cebra 01-29-2018 11:20 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Here are some photos, I have the interior stripped out with just the seat bottom sitting in the truck. I removed the heater boxes and I am replacing the blower motor and heater core. I am taking my time cleaning and painting everything before reassembly.

cebra 01-31-2018 12:04 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I have the heater boxes nearing completion. I replaced all the hardware, gaskets, cables, blower motor, heater core, and heater hoses. I need to paint the fire wall on both side and then I will reinstall. Removing the heater boxes wasn't as bad as I had thought it may be. Thus far, replacing the side windows and regulators has been the biggest pain.

cebra 02-12-2018 04:17 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I have not been able to work outside much although I did mock up my Wrangler fuel tank brackets and filler assembly. I am working on reupholstering the seat. I picked up the carpet trick to keep the old foam from sinking through the frame from an old magazine.

cornerstone 02-12-2018 10:16 PM

Lookin forward to watching your progress! Looks like you have a pretty clean truck there. I personally like the 2 tone red and white on this year truck. On my newer GMC daily driver yes, black all the way. Welcome aboard and thanks for the pics! My truck is completely apart as I am doing an air ride / LS swap / long bed to short conversion and a repaint all at the same time. Im thinking about starting a thread also as I feel it might help keep me motivated and inspired, we will see...:metal:

cebra 02-13-2018 10:50 AM

Nice, that is a big project. I have considered converting to short bed as well. I will start a thread for the fuel system soon as I built it for the LS. I have it mocked up at this point. It is carb right now but will work with EFI by dropping in a EP381 in the baffled Wrangler tank.

cebra 02-19-2018 01:41 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Got some underhood paintwork done so I can reinstall my heater boxes. I also have the underside of the bed undercoated and my Wrangler tank bracketry mocked up. Here is my filler holder (ammo can). I don't have access to power so I had to work around that but I think it will look decent once the bed liner is put in. Here is the tank ready to drop in as well.

notsolo 02-19-2018 02:58 PM

Very nice clean work, your getting more done out in the open than I get done inside....Looking forward to how you mount your filler, in bed? Seat looks awesome as well BTW.

cebra 02-21-2018 11:24 AM

Thanks, I am attempting to do as much of restoration as possible without removing the cab or motor/trans (yet).

cebra 02-26-2018 12:17 PM

4 Attachment(s)
I got the cowl and kickpanel ducts all clear of debris. I wire brushed everything and sprayed rust encapsulator, primer, and paint. I am putting a "gutter guard" on the cowl to prevent this and it seems like it will be an easy $5 preventative measure (the wire ties are temporary to hold it in place so I can screw it down and then cut them off without the mesh moving). I also got my ammo can/filler box finished. I am going to bed coat the box when I do the rest of the bed so it looks a bit crappy at the moment. Lastly, the interior is stripped out and I am sanding that down to paint and put all the new goodies back in.

cebra 02-26-2018 12:18 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Filler box.

cebra 02-26-2018 12:19 PM

I am unsure why all of the pictures post sideways.

shoveldug 02-27-2018 10:31 AM

Nice build. Could you show some more pictures and give some details on how you mounted the wrangler tank?

notsolo 02-27-2018 11:14 AM

If you have some polyurethane caulk or seam sealer, a couple dabs on the back side of your screen will glue it in place. Fuel filler looks great.

cebra 02-27-2018 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shoveldug (Post 8198799)
Nice build. Could you show some more pictures and give some details on how you mounted the wrangler tank?

The tank isn't in yet but it is mocked up. Below is what I did and I will add pictures this weekend once I install it. I used a 87-90 Wrangler Tank and a 92-93 S-10 sending unit. Since I am still on a carbureted 350, I just put in a hose to bypass the in-tank fuel pump the S-10 sender normally has (I wanted a baffled tank and in-tank fuel pump option for my LS conversion down the road). I ran 6an fittings off the sender and a short 6an steel hose to the frame rail where I will convert to 3/8" hard line and join to the existing line under the cab via a rubber hose (down the road I will convert this back to 6an steel hose to connect to the LS. I capped the return line off and just ran 2' hoses on the 2 vents on the S-10 filler to let it escape to atmosphere. For the filler, I cut that ammo can and used the stock wrangler filler/gas cap. I cut a hole in the bed for the filler hose and put in L-brackets and riveted it in. I will put sealer around it and bed line over the box with the rest of the bed. To mount the tank I had to put in 1.5" metal spacers and long L-brackets bolted to the tank in the front and back so the tank is "hanging" below the frame a bit and I had to cut into the bed crossmember ~2" as well to put the tank as far up as possible. I will add pics this weekend as I just sprayed undercoat in this area before I put the tank in.

shoveldug 02-27-2018 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cebra (Post 8197966)
I am unsure why all of the pictures post sideways.

I am not a technology wizard but I believe I read once that it is how you held your phone when you took the photo if you are doing mobile uploads.

cebra 03-05-2018 01:36 PM

5 Attachment(s)
I have the Wrangler tank installed now. I had a heck of a time cutting the bed support without power but was able to get it with a cordless jigsaw, not pretty but it gets the job done and is hidden. It is mounted below the frame rails 2" or so using angle iron and "spacers".

cebra 03-05-2018 01:38 PM

I will take pics of the filler line, I put an elbow in the filler line to make the bend from bedside to run across the bedfloor (keeping the whole setup flowing downhill to the tank). I also used a hole saw to put a 1.5" hole in the frame so the filler could connect. The feed line is 6an for 3' and then 3/8" fuel line up the rail to where it mates to the stock line using a 3/8" ID rubber hose.

cebra 03-19-2018 12:07 PM

4 Attachment(s)
I have been doing a lot of wire brush/rust remover/undercoat beneath the bed and cleaning up the engine bay a bit. I painted my booster/master and replaced the leaking gasket/cap and have replaced springs and re-upholstered the seat. Now, I have the interior all painted. I did the floor/rear/cab corners flat black and covered the floor and rear wall area with dynamat(ish). I spray bombed the rest of the interior with Jeep Anvil Gray which is what I am going with for the outside. Once this cures (70 when I sprayed it yesterday, supposed to snow Wednesday), I will start putting all the fancy bits back in. I had to replace every single item in the interior that bolts in. I will add progress as I put in the new seatbelts, speaker boxes, seat, etc. in the cab corners, etc.

Richard2112 03-19-2018 02:21 PM

Nice build. Kudos for the progress without power. Seems like cordless is the way on that one.

tinydb84 03-19-2018 02:36 PM

That tank doesn't have straps that go underneath to support it? Seems like a lot of weight to be on that flange.

cebra 03-19-2018 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tinydb84 (Post 8215722)
That tank doesn't have straps that go underneath to support it? Seems like a lot of weight to be on that flange.

I wondered about that myself. The flange is fairly sizeable and I have seen others mount the same way but I will probably add either a center strap or a stock wrangler tank shield as it will be lowered. The tank is in and functioning but I haven't buttoned it up yet (fuel line isn't secured, sender wire isn't hooked up, etc). Thanks for pointing out though as I debated a bit on whether or not it was overkill to add one.

cornerstone 03-19-2018 04:59 PM

Great work man, looking forward to seeing you driving it again:burnout: