The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Delco radio with aux. input added (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=447379)

Cramitthefrog 02-16-2011 11:50 PM

Delco radio with aux. input added

5 Attachment(s)
This topic is an FAQ-"73-87 Delco radio with aux. input added"

Hello all. This mod came about because I wanted to listen to my ipod in my truck, but I did not want to cut my dash. I looked into the aftermarket shaft style but right now I can't justify the cost, so for about $20 I made my own.
If all this is a repost my apologies up front.

The first thing I did was grab a stock radio from the local yard, and started to locate what wires were the tuner wires before the amp. This part is real easy, there is a ORANGE wire and GREEN wire that go from the main board to the amp board http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...1&d=1297910944

What you need to do now is cut the wires in the middle so you don't need to solder directly onto the board. Now if you look at the location of the wires on the amp board it will tell you which one is left and righthttp://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...1&d=1297911315

Next you need to get a switchable female aux. input. I found one at radio shack, and it is real easy to locate because it will have 5 posts and has a clear side so you can see inside to id which is in and out for both the left and the right channels. The reason you need a switchable input is because without something plugged in you have normal radio function, but as soon as you plug your ipod in it will disconnect the radio function and will send the new source into the amp http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...1&d=1297911889

So now that you have cut the wires you need to solder 5 wires onto the aux. input. 1 ground that goes to the radio body , a right channel in and out, and a left channel in and out http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...1&d=1297912252

Now you need to find out which is the left and right channels on the male portion that you plug in. If you look at the plug you will see 3 sections, the first at the tip is the left channel, the next one is the right channel, and the third is the ground. You need to solder the the red and green wires from the main board to the input posts on the aux. input then solder the output wires of the aux. input to the wires going into the amp board.
Once that is done you need to drill a small hole for the input to mount into, I found that just above the first channel select was about the best spot. This will involve cutting the am/fm selector plate to clear the wires. After all that it is time to put the radio case back together http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...1&d=1297913731
One thing you need to be careful of is to have the radio off when you plug in and unplug your ipod because for a brief instance everything will be connected and the possibility of damaging something is higher.

With all things electrical take your time and double check all conections before you solder, I learned this the hard way and burnt up a perfectly good radio. I also used an am/fm only radio because you have more room to work, but I am sure one with a cassette would work also.
I am sure I confused some people with all of the input here and output there but if you shoot me a pm I could try and help. I just realized that this should be in the audio section, sorry about that. Could a mod please move it. Dang newbies

Telecasterjoey 02-16-2011 11:53 PM

Re: Delco radio with aux. input added

Man!! I've been wanting to do this forever! how does it sound??

Cramitthefrog 02-16-2011 11:55 PM

It sounds good, but it probably couldn't hang with a new aftermarket head unit.

f.monroe 02-16-2011 11:57 PM

Super Cool mod and thanks for sharing.
Frank

Telecasterjoey 02-17-2011 12:02 AM

I'll definitely be messaging you with some questions lol i'm gonna do it soon.

Cramitthefrog 02-17-2011 12:05 AM

No problem. If you need different pics let me know.

Telecasterjoey 02-17-2011 12:10 AM

lemme see if I get it, You're just finding the right and left inputs going from the tuner to the amp and you're putting the input between them? Do you have a pic of the input you bought, and also just a close up of the cut wires?

Thanks so much, so glad someone figured out how to do this!!

Cramitthefrog 02-17-2011 12:55 AM

I don't have a pic of the input but I can swing into radio shack and get a part number.
You've got it the input goes directly in between the tuner and amp.
This is my first time posting something like this so next time I will grab the camera sooner.

Telecasterjoey 02-17-2011 01:06 AM

Excellent! I think I'll be able to pull it off lol just gotta find the right input at radio shack.
Thanks a lot man!

Cramitthefrog 02-17-2011 01:16 AM

3 Attachment(s)
more pics I hope this helps

I made a mistake in the first post, it is the ORANGE and green

Pop's C-10 02-17-2011 03:54 AM

This is tha mod i been looking for info on for awhile..thanks for tha info fam..

ElGracho 02-17-2011 10:17 AM

Very cool. This needs to be a sticky...

spudz 02-17-2011 11:13 AM

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR SHARING!!!... I will be using this mod for sure as I like the look of stock.

Pop's C-10 02-17-2011 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ElGracho (Post 4492693)

I agree

N2TRUX 02-17-2011 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ElGracho (Post 4492693)

Better than a sticky, I plan to make it an FAQ. I will get to it later today.

Telecasterjoey 02-17-2011 04:07 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Hey man, My radio's guts look a little different! Maybe you can point me in the right direction. My wires appear to be orange yellow and blue, which would I cut? also I've been all over town today looking for the female switchable aux input and no one has any. I know radio shack sells stuff online so I may have to do that.

Pop's C-10 02-17-2011 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by N2TRUX (Post 4492809)
Better than a sticky, I plan to make it an FAQ. I will get to it later today.

Thank u sir...

N2TRUX 02-17-2011 04:46 PM

My pleasure...
Posted via Mobile Device

Cramitthefrog 02-17-2011 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Telecasterjoey (Post 4493257)
Hey man, My radio's guts look a little different! Maybe you can point me in the right direction. My wires appear to be orange yellow and blue, which would I cut? also I've been all over town today looking for the female switchable aux input and no one has any. I know radio shack sells stuff online so I may have to do that.

What year is your radio?
There will only be 2 wires that carry the audio signal one for left one for right.
Do the orange, yellow and blue go from the main board (the bottom board)
to the amp board?
Take some pics of both boards so I can whats going where.
And last if you can't find the aux input let me know I will pick one up and mail it to you.

I looked at your pics again and it looks like the orange, yellow, and blue wires are coming from the pot for the tuner controls. Thats not the ones you need.

Cramitthefrog 02-17-2011 06:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I went down to radio shack and picked up another input, so hopefully this will help.

Part number 274-0246 1/8 Stereo Phone Jack

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...1&d=1297982693

WigglesTheHoly 02-17-2011 06:57 PM

YES!!!! This is something I've been meaning to do as well but never got around to it. I think I may just bypass the radio completely I really don't listen to the radio. I'm a podcast listener myself being a tech nerd. Thank you for saving me 150 bucks for an aftermarket post radio.

Cramitthefrog 02-17-2011 07:02 PM

My pleasure, I am glad people find it useful.

Telecasterjoey 02-17-2011 08:28 PM

I think the radio is a 1980? I took it out of a screwed up truck from the scrap yard. I have an 86 tape player stock radio, and I've located the green and orange wires. My radio is different but I think I can figure it out. Would you mind selling me the part? I think Im going to have a hard time tracking it down. Radio shack doesn't ship to canada :(

again thanks so much for your help!!!

Pop's C-10 02-17-2011 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WigglesTheHoly (Post 4493562)
YES!!!! This is something I've been meaning to do as well but never got around to it. I think I may just bypass the radio completely I really don't listen to the radio. I'm a podcast listener myself being a tech nerd. Thank you for saving me 150 bucks for an aftermarket post radio.

Are you talking about jus wiring tha aux input right to you speakers?..not that would be trick..

spudz 02-17-2011 09:07 PM

do you see any problem doing this to a newer digital display head unit?