The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   How would you cover up a license plate light hole? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=839911)

bennylava 11-22-2022 11:59 AM

How would you cover up a license plate light hole?

My truck is one that only came with one light to illuminate the license plate. But I have an aftermarket bumper that came with two holes. The bumper is chrome. I need to "delete" one of the holes.

I have been pulled over before, by a cop with nothing to do I guess, and told to fix that light. In my state there's no law saying you have to add an additional light if your vehicle didn't have one. So I'd like to make a professional looking delete for that hole. That way I can at least say "No this truck only has one light" and have it look as though that's really the case.

How would you delete a bumper hole hole? Can't weld or it will mess up the chrome. Thank you

Dead Parrot 11-22-2022 03:34 PM

Re: How would you cover up a license plate light hole?

Add a 2nd light? Might be easier and less cost then making a stand on the 'it only needs one light' argument.

Or use it for a trailer light plug.

Scott91370 11-22-2022 04:38 PM

You'd grind away the chrome, weld in a patch and have it re-chromed.

Or add a second light.

mongocanfly 11-22-2022 04:49 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Not sure about your bumper light hole shape.. is it round?
They make these style plugs in chrome ... I've also seen a really nice black rubber hole plug
If it's a odd shaped hole, then the 2nd light may be your best option

bennylava 05-17-2023 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mongocanfly (Post 9147243)
Not sure about your bumper light hole shape.. is it round?
They make these style plugs in chrome ... I've also seen a really nice black rubber hole plug
If it's a odd shaped hole, then the 2nd light may be your best option

Thanks that's it! I found out that this will work for me.

cadillac_al 05-18-2023 08:11 AM

Ahhh, the benefits of living in a town with no crime. Most cops are too busy to worry about plate lights.

Just call me Sean 05-18-2023 11:38 AM

My windshield has two head prints on it and the police have never said a word about it.

kwmech 05-18-2023 12:41 PM

[Quote] How would you cover up a license plate light hole?

with another license plate light

bennylava 05-18-2023 10:16 PM

[quote=kwmech;9205135]
Quote:

How would you cover up a license plate light hole?

with another license plate light
No because principles! Truck didn't come with one so I shouldn't have to run it! I like being stubborn about their stupid laws

Keith Seymore 05-19-2023 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bennylava (Post 9205229)

No because principles!

I hear ya -

Quote:

Originally Posted by bennylava (Post 9205229)
Truck didn't come with one so I shouldn't have to run it! I like being stubborn about their stupid laws

but - your truck has been changed.

It was designed with a single light, over the top of the plate, to provide illumination, in keeping with the regulations at the time.

The addition of an aftermarket bumper, presumably requiring a light on either side, represents a change in the architecture.

It would be like if your truck came with a single exhaust, with a cat, but somebody added dual exhaust. The governing body might say "put another cat on it" and you would say "no - it only came with one cat!".

I appreciate your principles but my unsolicited advise would be for you to find a different hill to die on.

(or - put a cap plug in it, like Mongo suggested).

K

Just call me Sean 05-19-2023 02:44 PM

Yeah, sure. Give in, knuckle under. Give them that inch so they feel more comfortable taking a mile instead.

72c20customcamper 05-21-2023 04:42 PM

Take them both out . Just don’t drive at night :lol:

I would get another light .

bennylava 05-24-2023 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keith Seymore (Post 9205310)
I hear ya -

but - your truck has been changed.

It was designed with a single light, over the top of the plate, to provide illumination, in keeping with the regulations at the time.

The addition of an aftermarket bumper, presumably requiring a light on either side, represents a change in the architecture.

It would be like if your truck came with a single exhaust, with a cat, but somebody added dual exhaust. The governing body might say "put another cat on it" and you would say "no - it only came with one cat!".

I appreciate your principles but my unsolicited advise would be for you to find a different hill to die on.

(or - put a cap plug in it, like Mongo suggested).

K

Yeah I got the cap and installed it. As for altering the truck, I dunno if that point really holds water. We could just keep going and say "But wait! I altered it back!" I welded up the hole. Painted the bumper or rechromed it. Did whatever. But I changed it back to factory.