The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Paint & Bodywork (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   painting over powder coat (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=785297)

3x2GTO 04-18-2019 07:50 AM

painting over powder coat

I'm looking at a set of 16 x10 steel wheels from Wheel Vintiques, they're black powder coat and I 'd want them white. Guessing scuff, clean, prime and shoot?

MARTINSR 04-18-2019 09:58 AM

Re: painting over powder coat

Yep, but scuff pretty good, that powdercoating can be pretty hard.

Brian

ShortHaul 04-18-2019 07:07 PM

Haha... this is exactly my predicament too! Just got my WV order delivered yesterday. Locals powder coater wants $125 A WHEEL! I’ve had a few mixed responses. From “just go for it!” To “ohh yeah don’t paint over powder coat, it won’t stick...”

Looking for some solid technique/ prep methods besides completely sandblasting them. Lemme know what you find out, and post your results!

mongocanfly 04-18-2019 08:09 PM

yeah ,I found out when I ordered my US wheels they only come in black,,,my powder coat guy wants 150 each to go from black to white...thats for sandblast and powdercoat...so I guess mine are staying black for now...

3x2GTO 04-18-2019 10:50 PM

I'll check with WV, maybe the wheels can be bought primed? I never did like powder coating on vintage vehicles, now I like it even less, same goes for rhino lining. Been trying to find a cool CJ Jeep, everytime I find something I like, the tub or the underneath has 1/4 inch of rhino liner., deal killer for me.

ShortHaul 04-19-2019 12:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3x2GTO (Post 8509844)
I'll check with WV, maybe the wheels can be bought primed? I never did like powder coating on vintage vehicles, now I like it even less, same goes for rhino lining. Been trying to find a cool CJ Jeep, everytime I find something I like, the tub or the underneath has 1/4 inch of rhino liner., deal killer for me.

yeah good call... at the time I ordered mine were back ordered until June through Jegs! I was surprised they showed up yesterday. I had thought of calling to see if they could ship 'em primed but I was more concerned with just getting them... Going to visit a local auto paint shop on sat and see what they recommend.

nsb29 04-19-2019 07:13 AM

If it were me I would have them sandblasted and then paint them powder coating is applied to bare metal no primer you would not paint your truck without primer

ShortHaul 04-19-2019 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3x2GTO (Post 8509844)

Just spoke with WV. They will PC them any color you like for $50 a wheel. (well, the $50 was quoted for white, but guy said they could do lots of colors)

Also learned that Les Schwab Tire center does sand blasting and powdercoating of wheels. $40 a wheel for white there... Who knew.

MARTINSR 04-19-2019 11:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nsb29 (Post 8509949)
If it were me I would have them sandblasted and then paint them powder coating is applied to bare metal no primer you would not paint your truck without primer

It depends how it's done, I just had my frame and a bunch of stuff powder coated and they sand blasted, then zinc coated then powder coated.

Brian

nsb29 04-20-2019 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MARTINSR (Post 8510417)
It depends how it's done, I just had my frame and a bunch of stuff powder coated and they sand blasted, then zinc coated then powder coated.

Brian

Was the zinc also powder ? I have never seen them do anything but put the powder directly on the bare metal I’ve seen them use a powder primer but once it got chipped the moisture gets under the rust creeps and it starts to peel I have stuff I bought that has come off in sheets always wiling to learn sum thing new

nsb29 04-29-2019 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nsb29 (Post 8510576)
Was the zinc also powder ? I have never seen them do anything but put the powder directly on the bare metal I’ve seen them use a powder primer but once it got chipped the moisture gets under the rust creeps and it starts to peel I have stuff I bought that has come off in sheets always wiling to learn sum thing new

Brian still trying to learn something

nsb29 05-01-2019 07:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nsb29 (Post 8516085)
Brian still trying to learn something

Well I asked a simple question but never got an answer so I looked it up myself they do you have a zinc powder primer that is used for harsh conditions I called a couple of local companies that didn’t know what I was talking about and told me it wasn’t necessary although I have never been a fan for powder Coating I believe if I were to have anything powder coated I would also get that zinc primer Especially wheels frame and suspension parts

3x2GTO 05-01-2019 07:49 AM

I've done all my frames and suspension parts with Pro Grade Rustoleum, looks great and never had any problems, easy to touch up if necessary.

nsb29 05-01-2019 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3x2GTO (Post 8517123)
I've done all my frames and suspension parts with Pro Grade Rustoleum, looks great and never had any problems, easy to touch up if necessary.

I know Someone that puts a hardener in his Rustoleum I like spi black epoxy

3x2GTO 05-01-2019 10:53 PM

I haven't thought about using a hardener, maybe a good idea, but I'd better stick with what's been working for me. I'll be doing another frame next year and will use the old stand by, Rustoleum PG.