The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Tuff country question (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=735654)

Thebrownturd 04-16-2017 02:41 PM

Tuff country question

I am about to pull the trigger on a 2'' tuff country lift for my k20. I was wondering if a 3'' lift spring or a 2'' lift spring with a 1'' zero rate is better?

I ask since 4 wheel parts and summit offer a 3'' rear but, I haven't read of many people using it.

Also, I want to run ORD's HD front shackles and greasable bushings on all corners. Has anyone used them and if so were they worth the money? I live on a dirt road that gets maintained maybe twice a year. Anything I can do to stop squeaking and get a smother ride is worth it.

snj8198 04-16-2017 05:20 PM

Re: Tuff country question

I'm running the 2" Tough Country EZ ride system on my longbox, front and rear springs. It rides fairly decent for an off the shelf system. I did end up using a 1" block in the rear to level the truck and an on-the-top over load spring kit to help with loads. For a long box, If I could do it again I would do the 3" rear springs. Actually, if someone made a shackle flip kit that netted a 3" lift for the rear I would stay with stock rear springs and add the shackle flip to the rear, then run 2" front springs. The truck would ride level and much smoother.

I don't have greaseable shackles currently but I will absolutely install them when I redo my suspension. They are great and I highly suggest them.

sweetk30 04-16-2017 09:49 PM

good bang for the buck kit .

I have been running greasable ord bushing kits for years . also there hd shackle kit front .

I do know for the front in tuff country the hd springs are the same spring rate for 2 or 3" lift . . I am figuring out what I need for a build . that's how I know .

if you want the best info on tuff country and ord products just call ord up . they will talk with you 100% and get you the correct stuff the first time .

I should have stock at that company as much as I have gotten there over the years for mine and other peoples rigs .

to bad you weren't closer I have a brand new skyjacker soft ride all spring kit for sale . with gas shocks. its a almost 20year old kit been in storage for years . the front springs were to soft for my build up . k30/454/4l80/203-205 t-case and plow = not good . test fit less than 30 min time . hence why I am going tuff country 2 or 3" hd fronts.

its good you ask and don't just buy the cheep crap rough country stiff dump truck kit and ask later why its so stiff now. :sumo:

Thebrownturd 04-19-2017 10:28 PM

Thanks guys I have read many good things about both tuff country and ORD products. The reason I was asking about 3" vs 2" is the wheel being centered in the well. I know some 4in will offset the wheel in the well an I was wondering if 3" would do the same. I seems that is you go 2" then use zero rate it will come out centered.

Bigdav160 04-20-2017 07:23 AM

When I received my 2" kit the part number on the rear springs was the same part number for their 4" springs. :crazy:

Still ended up running a small block under rear springs to level the truck out.

Thebrownturd 05-18-2017 06:09 PM

I just wanted to confirm with everyone if the rear springs on a 70 K20 are 52" and not 56". I believe the longer springs came on later models. I also saw that ORD was offering the rear greasable bushings with 1-3/4" in the front or a 1-1/2" for the front mount. I believe that a 70 K20 should have 1-1/2 but the guy at ORD that I called said the 3/4 ton Chevys have 1-3/4 diameter eyelets in the front on the rear springs. Not sure if he was confused if my truck was a later model or something or if they actually are 1-3/4" . thanks in advance. Now that summer is here ill have a little more time on the weekends to work on my truck.

BILT4ME 05-18-2017 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sweetk30 (Post 7917709)
good bang for the buck kit .

I have been running greasable ord bushing kits for years . also there hd shackle kit front .

I do know for the front in tuff country the hd springs are the same spring rate for 2 or 3" lift . . I am figuring out what I need for a build . that's how I know .

if you want the best info on tuff country and ord products just call ord up . they will talk with you 100% and get you the correct stuff the first time .

I should have stock at that company as much as I have gotten there over the years for mine and other peoples rigs .

to bad you weren't closer I have a brand new skyjacker soft ride all spring kit for sale . with gas shocks. its a almost 20year old kit been in storage for years . the front springs were to soft for my build up . k30/454/4l80/203-205 t-case and plow = not good . test fit less than 30 min time . hence why I am going tuff country 2 or 3" hd fronts.

its good you ask and don't just buy the cheep crap rough country stiff dump truck kit and ask later why its so stiff now. :sumo:

Do you have more info on this kit and how much you want for it? We are building a 1970 GMC K2500 and are considering a lift. How much lift is it expected to be and what is the kit part number?