The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   60-66 Suburbans (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=241)
-   -   Hydraulic clamshell hatch and liftgate (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=779272)

nadodave 01-10-2019 02:34 PM

Hydraulic clamshell hatch and liftgate

Hello!

I am sneaking up on having an operational 63 panel! A mild 350 and 700R4 are installed and running. I also added the front end from a 71 C-10 for the disc brakes. Still have some bodywork and interior to do, but it should be a driver soon.
One additional mod I would like to do is to make the liftgate and tailgate electric or hydraulic. I had converted the panel from barn door to clamshell and it occurred to me that it would be very cool to be able to open the liftgate and tailgate with a switch. I was wondering if anybody has ever installed an electric or hydraulic opener for either side of the clamshell? If you have done this or have a reference, I would appreciate it. I have considered checking with the lowrider crowd in my area - they can apparently make anything hydraulic - but thought I would check here first.

Dave

blackbart63mule 02-10-2019 02:03 PM

Re: Hydraulic clamshell hatch and liftgate

Any pics of conversion from barn doors to clamshell?

blackbart63mule 02-10-2019 04:56 PM

Any pics of conversion from barn doors to clamshell?

ragtp66 02-16-2019 11:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nadodave (Post 8440574)
Hello!

I am sneaking up on having an operational 63 panel! A mild 350 and 700R4 are installed and running. I also added the front end from a 71 C-10 for the disc brakes. Still have some bodywork and interior to do, but it should be a driver soon.
One additional mod I would like to do is to make the liftgate and tailgate electric or hydraulic. I had converted the panel from barn door to clamshell and it occurred to me that it would be very cool to be able to open the liftgate and tailgate with a switch. I was wondering if anybody has ever installed an electric or hydraulic opener for either side of the clamshell? If you have done this or have a reference, I would appreciate it. I have considered checking with the lowrider crowd in my area - they can apparently make anything hydraulic - but thought I would check here first.

Dave

Maybe you can adapt the setup that they use on a lot of minivans and suvs that use a foot activated sensor and electric actuators to open it. Depends on how much of a techie you are.

nadodave 03-21-2019 06:18 PM

I will post pix when I get the burb back from having the trans linkage set up. The idea of a foot activated sensor and actuators is intriguing :)