The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   250 w/stovebolt cast headers, help-who has one? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=555510)

NEWFISHER 12-09-2012 03:00 PM

250 w/stovebolt cast headers, help-who has one?

I'm looking for someone who has a 250 in an AD with Tom's Stoveboltengines.com cast ceramic headers installed. Mine hits thhe steer boxno matter what I do. I have pulled all the head studs etc and still no room to squeaze it. Let me know if you have a better idea than the torch and building different motor mounts...GRRRRR!
Posted via Mobile Device

paintman 12-09-2012 06:38 PM

Re: 250 w/stovebolt cast headers, help-who has one?

Here's what i'm going to do. Have these mad in stainless. Just so I can have it the way I want it. http://www.stainlessheaders.com/index.aspx
http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...7/IMG_8522.jpg

focusedontheprize 12-10-2012 09:34 AM

How'd you do with this?

mknittle 12-10-2012 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by focusedontheprize (Post 5750098)
How'd you do with this?

He didn't make them, thepicture is a set of a set he missed on e-bay. he is going to have a se made.{colose to $1000.}

mknittle 12-10-2012 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NEWFISHER (Post 5748753)
I'm looking for someone who has a 250 in an AD with Tom's Stoveboltengines.com cast ceramic headers installed. Mine hits thhe steer boxno matter what I do. I have pulled all the head studs etc and still no room to squeaze it. 541 515 ooo5 if you have a better idea than the torch and building different motor mounts...GRRRRR!
Posted via Mobile Device

That's no fun!

NEWFISHER 12-10-2012 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NEWFISHER (Post 5748753)
I'm looking for someone who has a 250 in an AD with Tom's Stoveboltengines.com cast ceramic headers installed. Mine hits thhe steer boxno matter what I do. I have pulled all the head studs etc and still no room to squeaze it. 541 515 ooo5 if you have a better idea than the torch and building different motor mounts...GRRRRR!
Posted via Mobile Device

I posted this last night, still nothing

NEWFISHER 12-10-2012 01:26 PM

Spoke to Tom @ Langdon's ( supplier of the headers) He said when they know that they are being installed in a A.D. truck, they shorten the forward header 3 inches for the customer. Took the truck and headers to the exhaust shop, they will cut it and fit the collector , then I will take the 2 pieces to the machine shop and they will heat them in an oven, weld them with nickle/Copper rod and cool them down in the oven. Small speed bump, but I get to keep the headers!

paintman 12-10-2012 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NEWFISHER (Post 5750457)
Spoke to Tom @ Langdon's ( supplier of the headers) He said when they know that they are being installed in a A.D. truck, they shorten the forward header 3 inches for the customer. Took the truck and headers to the exhaust shop, they will cut it and fit the collector , then I will take the 2 pieces to the machine shop and they will heat them in an oven, weld them with nickle/Copper rod and cool them down in the oven. Small speed bump, but I get to keep the headers!

Hey Jon, I'm confused (as Usual), these headers you have from Tom ,are they not cast material? How do they shorten them? Do they have 2 different castings or do they just wack off 3" and and re- weld the collector back on? Seems kind of odd to me.:truck: Wouldn't a set of Clifford shorty headers work in your situation? Like these
http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...ps5a6d9c6c.jpg

NEWFISHER 12-10-2012 03:14 PM

Yes, "new" castings can be welded successfully says Tom and our local machine shop. Used ones, not so much. Carefull heating and pre-cooling, using Nickle -Copper rod are the trick. As I type this they are warming up in the oven.

Thanks for the side shot on the Clifford shorties, they would have worked perfectly!

mknittle 12-10-2012 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NEWFISHER (Post 5750457)

verrry good!:metal:

mknittle 12-10-2012 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NEWFISHER (Post 5750653)
Yes, "new" castings can be welded successfully says Tom and our local machine shop. Used ones, not so much. Carefull heating and pre-cooling, using Nickle -Copper rod are the trick. As I type this they are warming up in the oven.

Thanks for the side shot on the Clifford shorties, they would have worked perfectly!

I have welded cast iron with high nickle rod it works well

NEWFISHER 12-11-2012 12:07 AM

Chopped the header and got it turned to fit. Took both pieces to the machine shop and they pre. Heatedto 700 degreesand welded them up. Put them back in the oven and let them cool down slowly. For over an hour. Bolted it up and towed the Burb to the exhaust shop. They called at 4..all done. Picked it up and worked a couple hours fumbling a coolant leak, ran a choke wire, finished the Lokar pedal swap and hit the key....set the timing and runs like a scalded dog!
Posted via Mobile Device