The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Engine & Drivetrain (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Replacement engine oil dipstick tube... (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=444335)

CEE1NG_RED 02-02-2011 11:11 AM

Replacement engine oil dipstick tube...

Where do you guys get your engine oil dipstick tube from that's similar/equal to the quality of the OEM? My 67 came with a 78 c/10 motor/trans (so the previous owner says), but the dipstick tube got detached when I drove it home. The tube resembles this: (http://www.classicchevy.com/chevy-up...1956-1980.html), but I am not sure if this is a quality product. Anyways, how do you guys attach it?? Mine seems to be intact; previous owner put RTV sealant to attach it, but didn't work. Any feedback would be appreciated. I haven't drove it since that incident...

truckdude239 02-02-2011 11:26 AM

Re: Replacement engine oil dipstick tube...

Umm i've used the mr gasket it one and stock and i can;t get mine to stay in either i've tried the rtv trick but it seems the hole is to big and the tube to small. So i am goign to wat6ch this and see what every one says

CEE1NG_RED 02-02-2011 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by truckdude239 (Post 4456898)
Umm i've used the mr gasket it one and stock and i can;t get mine to stay in either i've tried the rtv trick but it seems the hole is to big and the tube to small. So i am goign to wat6ch this and see what every one says

SO...you havent driven the truck also. Mine spilled a quart of oil out while driving it home; didn't notice it was the engine oil dipstick tube that got popped out of the block. Good thing it didn't mess up my engine!!!

truckdude239 02-02-2011 02:08 PM

Well i've drove mine with it loose but i dont drive it much i'm interested in the fix for this also

CEE1NG_RED 02-02-2011 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by truckdude239 (Post 4457220)
Well i've drove mine with it loose but i dont drive it much i'm interested in the fix for this also

So...yours leak as well when driving??? Mine does.

Captainfab 02-03-2011 12:14 AM

Have you checked with your local GM dealer parts department? You should get the dipstick itself to go with the correct tube. The tube should be a semi-tight fit that will require some gentle tapping with a hammer to install into the block. As a general rule any of the aftermarket chromed parts are just made in China crap that doesn't fit right.

Lee H 02-03-2011 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Captainfab (Post 4458748)
Have you checked with your local GM dealer parts department? You should get the dipstick itself to go with the correct tube. The tube should be a semi-tight fit that will require some gentle tapping with a hammer to install into the block. As a general rule any of the aftermarket chromed parts are just made in China crap that doesn't fit right.

+++ Get the real thing and make sure the stick and upper tube are a match.

Also if it leaks that much I'd be willing to bet the lower tube is missing.

CEE1NG_RED 02-03-2011 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lee H (Post 4460013)
+++ Get the real thing and make sure the stick and upper tube are a match.

Also if it leaks that much I'd be willing to bet the lower tube is missing.

There's a lower tube?? How do I check if it's in the engine?? I've never done this before... :waah:

oldblue1968chevy 02-03-2011 11:18 PM

Gee I just have 1 big tube. No lower.

Mine leaks too.

LANDC 02-04-2011 01:46 AM

I purchased a new dipstick from GM performance parts and they use an o-ring at the base where it goes into the pan. I made sure the o-ring was greased up before I inserted it into the pan. ( Insert crude comment here) And if I remember correctly I used a little RTV above that to assure no water makes it in.

CEE1NG_RED 02-04-2011 02:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LANDC (Post 4461209)
I purchased a new dipstick from GM performance parts and they use an o-ring at the base where it goes into the pan. I made sure the o-ring was greased up before I inserted it into the pan. ( Insert crude comment here) And if I remember correctly I used a little RTV above that to assure no water makes it in.

What's the part#?? Cost? Pics? Is it made for 67-85 Chevy 350 short blocks?

cdowns 02-04-2011 05:52 AM

the GM dipstick is good the only other one i will use for a custom look is lokar it fits great no issues

LANDC 02-08-2011 02:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CEE1NG_RED (Post 4461259)
What's the part#?? Cost? Pics? Is it made for 67-85 Chevy 350 short blocks?

The dipstick I bought was for my bbc 454. But GM Performance Parts should have any dipstick produced for all sbc and bbc blocks. Grab a catalogue and check it out. They may even have an online catalogue. I identified my oil pan and from there found the appropriate dipstick and tube. Wasn't cheap, but piece of mind when it comes engine componentry is priceless.

CEE1NG_RED 02-08-2011 03:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LANDC (Post 4470847)
The dipstick I bought was for my bbc 454. But GM Performance Parts should have any dipstick produced for all sbc and bbc blocks. Grab a catalogue and check it out. They may even have an online catalogue. I identified my oil pan and from there found the appropriate dipstick and tube. Wasn't cheap, but piece of mind when it comes engine componentry is priceless.

Well..I id. the engine block, but how do you id. an oil pan???

LANDC 02-08-2011 05:16 PM

By pictures in the Performance Parts Catalogue I visually identified what pan I have. There were many options for my block, and even when I told the GM parts guy what I wanted he was surprised that pan came with my block. So I confirmed the pan and told him the dipstick and tube I wanted. He in turn confirmed that those were the right parts for the pan I had and voila I have a dipstick and tube. And never again will I forget to take them off before hoisting my engine out.

Lee H 02-08-2011 06:18 PM

You really only need to match upper tube and dip stick as a set. Example would be 1972 C10 or 1986 Camaro, it doesn't matter which. The only real difference is the length of the tube and dip stick, long or short. Pretty sure you can call GMC Paul and he'll help. That comb will assure the stick is the right distant below the crank throws. Just add oil to right level on the dip stick. Will probably be 4.5 or 5 quarts for an GM pan or who knows for an after market pan.

CEE1NG_RED 02-08-2011 07:42 PM

...will the oilpan have a serial# or some ID?? I know it looks like an aftermarket, unless the OEM are chrome plated??

CEE1NG_RED 02-09-2011 08:07 PM

Just found out that my dipstick is "Made in China." Does your OEM one says USA?? Many Chevrolet dealership parts stores have discontinued the upper tube and dipstick, only found one location, but it's a drive!!!

doodah man 05-23-2011 03:41 PM

CEE1NG Red, Did you ever find a source for a good replacement? I ordered one from LMC, but haven't tried it. I guess it's the one that everyone is saying will not fit.

Searched GM performance and GM parts direct but didn't find anything yet.

Still got to get the old piece out of the block first...

CEE1NG_RED 05-23-2011 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doodah man (Post 4695978)
CEE1NG Red, Did you ever find a source for a good replacement? I ordered one from LMC, but haven't tried it. I guess it's the one that everyone is saying will not fit.

Searched GM performance and GM parts direct but didn't find anything yet.

Still got to get the old piece out of the block first...

...haven't installed mines yet due to my busy schedule. I ended up buying a GM dipstick tube @ Chevrolet and a Lokar one. I think I'm going to be using the Lokar,
Please note that you must be a supporting member to post classified items. This includes but is not limited to What Its Worth, Want To Buy, Want To Trade, and For Sale. Please consider supporting the forum by subscribing. Further information on the subscription levels available are located here

If you need any further assistance with that please contact any Admin for help.

LostMy65 11-30-2015 05:51 PM

I've been going around plugging up oil leaks.
Testing my fixes, I revved the engine up pretty high and held it there. My leaks I worked on are good, but now I'm seeing oil blowing out around the dipstick tube.
Searched and found this thread.
Mine appears to be one of those cheap chrome loose fitting kind mentioned above.
Time to order a good dipstick.
Thanks

LostMy65 11-30-2015 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cdowns (Post 4461362)
the GM dipstick is good the only other one i will use for a custom look is lokar it fits great no issues

Do you know if the Lokar ED-5002 will work with ramshorn manifold?

68gmsee 12-01-2015 12:03 AM

When mine broke a few years ago, I bought one of those chrome ones from local Autozone. I can't remember the brand but had no problem with the fit.

To install it I used a small box end wrench that just fig around the tube but not around the base. I then tapped on the wrench to drive it into the block. It was slightly touching the rams horn manifolds but I was able to bend the tube just enough to give me some clearance.

To determine the accuracy of the dipstick, I changed the oil and filled it up with the required amount. The dipstick was off about a quart so I just scribed it with a file for the "full" mark.

Ironangel 12-01-2015 02:03 AM

Once I make sure upper tube and dip stick length is correct, I use JB Weld to glue and seal the tubes in place. No leaks and no loose dip stick tubes...;)