The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=205)
-   -   55 C4 Suspension/Nailhead Build (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=703269)

HeloCrewChief 04-05-2016 08:47 PM

55 C4 Suspension/Nailhead Build

Well, this has to be one of the stranger builds on here. 1955 Second Series with full C4 suspension, Buick Nailhead, and 1953 Oldsmobile Dash grafted in. I traded a 94 Full Size Blazer that was my pride and joy for the last several years for it. I hated getting rid of the Blazer but, I was not driving it much and it felt like the time was right for a new project. The truck came to me in a million pieces. The chassis had been put together with a flat out engineering kit and spray painted black. The truck came with a rebuilt 425 Nailhead (you can see it in some pictures) but, I decided to sell it to free up some funds for the build. I figure the truck will not be on the road for a few years so, I rather build my own engine when the time comes. The truck is also set up for a 53 Oldsmobile Dash which I absolutely love as an alternative to the bel air dash swap. I purchased a spare dash recently for $75 off the HAMB and will use it for missing trim pieces/knobs/hardware etc. I already stripped the chassis and had everything powder coated, installed a CPP frame mount booster, pro thane polyurthane bushings, moog ball joints, and swapped the rear end out for an 84-87 model since they're 1 inch narrower. I have new slotted and drilled rotors that will be going on next. Plans are

-Gloss Black
-Red Interior
-401 Nailhead/Dual Quads/Red with lots of the shiny schtuff
-Wood Bed
-Boyd Fuel Tank
-IDIDIT column with shifter on the column
-Undecided on transmission
-Possibly converting the rack & pinion to manual
-Undecided on wheels but, would like to fit a larger diameter steelie wheel to maintain the traditional look. Possibly a 16x8 but, I'm not sure what I will be able to fit with the corvette suspension.

HeloCrewChief 04-05-2016 08:52 PM

Re: 55 C4 Suspension/Nailhead Build

5 Attachment(s)
Here are some pictures of the Blazer I traded and the project when I first got her.

lv2tri2 04-05-2016 08:57 PM

I really like your project and will watch the progress closely. Can't have too many pics.

HeloCrewChief 04-05-2016 08:59 PM

4 Attachment(s)
And after I got the frame back from Powder Coating. The 84-87 rear end I went with is 1 inch narrower than the 88-96 rear ends. Hopefully this will allow me a little more lip on my wheels. I went with a dana 36 instead of shelling out for a dana 44 since the truck will just be a cruiser.

HeloCrewChief 04-05-2016 09:02 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Some more pictures of the goodies going back on.

HeloCrewChief 04-05-2016 09:05 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Some pictures of the cab. It is rock solid. I have most of the bed and it is in great shape as well.

HeloCrewChief 04-05-2016 09:10 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Got the front coilovers in yesterday. Waiting on my new rotors to come in to button up the brakes. I will be spraying the caliper with aluminum colored caliper paint. Next on my list will be running the brake lines and installing a boyd welding fuel tank.

59chev 04-05-2016 10:50 PM

Awesome build! That dash looks great!!

Spblack 04-06-2016 06:36 AM

man what blue is that? I love that color. looks good.

HeloCrewChief 04-09-2016 01:07 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Not sure on the blue. Came on the truck. It is not primer and is definitely some sort of paint. Reminds me of the new ford blue's with a satin finish. I made a little progress on the truck. Nothing spectacular. All final torque has been applied. Cotter pins are all in. New rotors came in and are mounted. I'm currently waiting on the calipers to dry after painting them with duplicolor caliper paint.

Nut Case 04-09-2016 01:30 AM

Helo Hello: No pun intended. Great build, just a thought, I'm in the process of collecting parts and pieces, on my build I'm also using the C-4 IFS, I noticed in the photos that the shock mount on the LCA is suspended above the LCA. Flat Out Engineering has a lower shock mount that would lower the front if need be.
Check out there web site, and look for the lower control arm shock mount, about 25 bucks per each (there sure love there stuff) this would lower the shock and lower the front end. you'd need to modify the upper shock mount to maintain proper shock length. Just a thought. Cool Dash. Keep on keepin on.

Nut Case

:charcter29:

HeloCrewChief 04-09-2016 10:50 AM

Thanks for the information and motivation, nut case. Glad to hear you are building one with C4 suspension as well. I have been all over no limits website several times and have seen those drop brackets. I mocked the cab up before and the truck sits very low as is, even without the motors/transmission. Not sure I want to go lower.

Advanced Design 04-09-2016 12:25 PM

Great looking project! I have a soft spot for Buicks so I will be tagging along.

Nut Case 04-10-2016 02:12 AM

Hello Helo, sorry its Ride Tech, you know late at night not to many brain cells connected or fully open circuits up there. Just wanted to give you possible options for the if only moment. Keep on keepin on. Nut Case:dum:

Daze57 04-10-2016 03:30 AM

Helo
Great looking project ! --i also like that color -- and i also have a c4 set up just in the rear --- i have the flat out kit also --nice stuff ..my front end is early firebird with dropped spindles -- got it all many yeas ago and went with it . keep us posted on progress .

ChuckDriver 04-10-2016 03:31 AM

Cool project, I'm a big fan of dash mods too! Never seen the front sway bar mounted above the frame rails before though.

Kim57 04-10-2016 04:41 PM

Very cool project.
Love the dash.
Kim

RockinKees 04-11-2016 04:13 PM

^^ I'm with Kim :lol:

This is a very nice project!

Az. Hank 04-15-2016 10:22 PM

Nice!!

HeloCrewChief 04-25-2016 11:20 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Thanks for the compliments guys. Progress has been slow. I did get the new rotors, caliper brackets, calipers, and pads on. Will be mounting a nice set of wheel vintiques steelies with caps on soon. Not sure they will be the final wheel but, will act as really nice rollers in the meantime. Next step is a boyd welding fuel tank and running the brake lines. I also ordered up a polished rack & pinion that I'm waiting on. Then I will set the cab on and start mocking everything up for final fitment before I take it back apart for paint. I've already had a Nailhead mocked up in there and my plan is to build the engine while the truck is away at paint.

Spblack 04-25-2016 12:54 PM

looking good. have you tried to flip the sway bars and run them under the frame? how are you going to do your bed with that setup?

Kim57 04-25-2016 03:55 PM

Looking real nice.
Kim

HeloCrewChief 05-27-2016 11:03 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Sorry guys. Been slammed with life and work. I slapped my Wheel Vintique Wheels and tires on that I had laying around from another car I finished. Not sure if I will use them on the truck but, they make nice rollers for now. I did get my boyd tank in. Extremely happy with the quality and I cant complain for the price...$448 complete! Even came with a beer coozie from the company. Tank is of very high quality. As far as the sway bars, the front is mounted like that for clearance purposes. As far as the rear, I don't have a bed yet so I was hoping it would clear under the wood? I've never owned a 55-59 so, have no idea how much space there is. I've seen other guys not running the rear sway bar but, I would like to keep it. Hope it fits under the bed! Next up is my rack and pinion. Ordered a shiny one from Flat Out:smoke: Then fuel and brake lines. After that I will mount the cab and all sheetmetal with a mar-k bed to make sure everything lines up great before blasting it apart for paint.

HeloCrewChief 05-27-2016 11:06 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Another one

Kim57 05-28-2016 09:54 AM

Real nice tank.
Personally I would raise the bed floor to clear the sway bar. Shouldn't be to hard.
Kim