The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Concours de Maryhill 2017 edition (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=748020)

mr48chev 10-07-2017 11:32 PM

Concours de Maryhill 2017 edition

Concours de Maryhill = rather fancy name for a very laid back open car show in one of the most beautiful spots you can find. This is on the lawn of the Maryhill Museum perched above the Columbia River at the east end of the Columbia Gorge.
Jean and I mark this as one of our favorite events because it is a low pressure event in a nifty place and to get there we have to pass a Monastery where the nuns serve up some of the best coffee on earth and then stop at a restaurant that puts out a killer breakfast for a reasonable price. The other good thing even though we don't have a car to enter is that for those that do there really isn't that big of a rush to be there waiting when the gates open to get that really great spot.

Hogfarm sent me a pm earlier in the week asking if I was going an yuppers I was going. Told him I would be wearing my shirt with the AD truck outline on the back and I would see him there. Thought I was going to meet up with this big biker dude who also owned a truck but he is one really nice guy who has one unbelievable truck and also works on bikes.

Home internet is beyond ridiculously slow and my laptop is acting up so I'll have to wait until I get to work tomorrow to post photos .

mr48chev 10-07-2017 11:39 PM

Re: Concours de Maryhill 2017 edition

This is the link to my Smugmug album for the show. This is my first attempt at using Smugmug to show car show photos so be patient. I'll add the other 200 tomorrow or Monday when time allows.
https://robertdavison.smugmug.com/20...s-de-Maryhill/

nvrdone 10-08-2017 11:23 AM

hey - those pictures look great. well done. looks like good weather and some great cars. the gold merc capri brought back some good memories

mr48chev 10-08-2017 12:17 PM

The Gold Capri was one of the cars that is racing in the Maryhill Hill climb today on the oldest paved highway in the state of Washington. His Rally lights cost more than my 48's whole build did in 1973. The race cars make a trip of five or six miles from the pit area for the race to the museum every year. http://sovrenracing.org/maryhill-hill-climb/

I'm still loading photos although all except a couple are OT rigs this year. The rain down towards Portland Kept a few home this time.

mr48chev 10-08-2017 06:43 PM

Well the album is complete with a number of photos of Hogfarm's black truck but I don't know how to post photos off Smugmug yet .

Here is the link. to the album again. https://robertdavison.smugmug.com/20...ll/i-5sfm4qQ/A

The bike with the sidecar near the end was one that Hogfarm just finished for the gent riding with him in the side car. That was the first time the guy got to ride on or in the bike since he sent it home from Europe in pieces years ago.

MARTINSR 10-08-2017 07:07 PM

You got me with the very first car, that Studebaker, DAMN I love that Studebaker.

Thanks for posting, this Smugmug, sounds interesting, it's free?

Brian

mr48chev 10-09-2017 01:09 AM

That Studebaker is one outstanding car and fun to stand by and listen to comments.
A lot of people thought it was a very nicely restored factory car.
Here is an article on the car and it's history. http://www.hotrod.com/articles/0610r...k-convertible/

The even attracts a number of rigs that only come out once or twice a year but are very interesting in their own right along with some nice local to the area rigs and some that actually come some distance. Some come with the race cars and put the car in the show. 20 bucks gets you in the event and gets two tickets to the museum.
They didn't have a couple of things that they usually have and that is and arts/ crafts event with several vendors that the wives and girlfriends like to shop and I didn't see the veggie race cars that are similar to valve cover races but the kids would make their racers out of veggies. I didn't see a lot of kids this year but the dogs were having a good time for the most part.

hogfarm 10-09-2017 08:17 AM

Very nice pictures and it was a pleasure to meet you.There were not to many trucks I think my 54 was the only AD truck.It was fun taking the 1942 Harley for a ride,Bob bought the bike in Europe WW2 surplus in 1971,first time he ever got to ride in it,he is battling cancer so it was exciding for him.I had a nice time

hogfarm 10-09-2017 09:59 AM

An update,not only did the Harley get best bike,It won best of show,unheard of at a car show,guess I'm better at building bikes than I am building trucks

mr48chev 10-10-2017 12:12 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I'd say your parade lap may have helped as all the sudden folks who hadn't wandered over to the far corner of the grounds saw one of the coolest sights you can imagine.
I hope this photo works one way or the other because it says it all. Bob with a grin that will last for months and you in fine form wheeling the bike.

It isn't often that a guys builds a truck that is capable of winning it's class and more in any show it enters and then beats him self out with a bike he built for someone else.
https://robertdavison.smugmug.com/20...ll/i-7gVHbSB/A

mr48chev 10-10-2017 12:33 AM

That may not be the best photo I ever took since it isn't centered and what not but it will go down as one of my favorites.

hogfarm 10-13-2017 06:46 AM

The show was just in time,the rain and cold is here,took the 54 to my daughters and out it to sleep for the winter

mr48chev 10-13-2017 01:16 PM

We got a few sprinkles on the way home over Satus. After a stop at Maryhill and Waving tree Wineries and at Gunkles fruit stand where I picked up a quart of huckleberry pie filling and some peaches. We didn't poke around as much as we usually do as we had to get home and let the dogs out.

Lo1dakota 10-14-2017 10:10 AM

Would a bagged, patina 50 3100 be an "outcast" there?

mr48chev 10-14-2017 02:18 PM

Probably not but there was very little Patina anything in the show. It's an open show and there was everything from vintage race cars with plenty of patina to 2017 Corvettes that look like they drove out of the showroom the day before. You can take your lady and she can go off and explore the museum for a few hours or just sit out on one of the benches out on one of the walkways and take in the views.

It's just a great laid back car folks day in the early fall and the last event of the year for some folks before they put the car away for the winter. You seldom see a car duster or dust rag, most people don't sit and guard the vehicle as you see at a lot of events because what spectators are there are mostly car folks and quite often you see some really nifty high end late model cars out in the parking lot. A lot of sports car folk will drive up and go though the show and then go down to the pit area for the hill climb and check things out and if the timing is right take a drive up the Maryhill loop which is the oldest paved highway in the state of Washington, or check out Stonehedge. Then there are the wineries to check out if you are in to that.

Lo1dakota 10-14-2017 04:12 PM

Right on, I haven't been out that way In quite a while. Never been a fan of the folks that bring new vettes and such to shows..

What is the hill climb?

mr48chev 10-15-2017 02:15 AM

Open the link in post 4. Some of those guys are from your area. Until a couple of years ago it was a club member only thing but it appears that they let some other cars in now.

Timed event that runs about 2.5 miles up the oldest paved highway in the state of Washington. That runs on Sunday the day after the show. They ran that hillclimb back in the 50's and 60's after the other highway was built on the other side of the canyon. I remember seeing a new Cobra heading down the highway in front of my house to the race in the mid 60's Quite a thrill for a teenager to see a car he had only seen in Magazines go past when he walked out to get the paper that morning. The 58 miles over the pass was too rough for the car I had then to be able to drive over and watch.

Lo1dakota 10-16-2017 04:08 PM

That sounds awesome.