The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Squarebody Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=139)
-   -   Project Snowball- Slow build (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=564818)

rs74 02-06-2013 02:36 PM

Project Snowball- Slow build

5 Attachment(s)
And no this isn't a white truck. It has just turned into way more than I wanted to do to get it back on the road. I have had my 85 for about 14 years and has sat the last 8 years or so. I got it out and decided to just redo all the brakes, redo the heads, reseal engine and trans and put rockers on, then paint. Lower it and put on some WV 037 vetter rallies. Now the more I look the more it needs. I am talking to the guy who does my body and paint work now.

It's starting to look like I am going to get down to the frame and have it blasted and put some SEM (kind of like POR) on it first. Then inner and outer rockers, possibly floor pan work but will have to wait and see how bad it is after I have the bottom of cab blasted. It will get the SEM also. I have a place behind the drivers side bed wheel well that has to be replaced too. Atleast one cab corner and not sure about the other yet. The drivers side lower rear of door is starting to rust. I have extra doors and also have new GM doors and fender still in the box if need be. I have had them for 15-16 years.

I am getting pricing to get all this done and for now the drop and rims are on the back burner. The last thing that I have in mind if either a LS or Vortec 6.0L but that is down the road after all the above is finished. Isn't this how it usually goes. I will just do this and it turns into a snowball effect. Just keeps getting bigger and bigger. Here are a few before photos after pulling it out of one side of the shed and over into the other side. In the middle of brakes now. Nothing fancy. Pictures of the rust repair on the bed and in the door jams as well. This is not going to be a full blown build, just trying to get it back on the road and presentable. I want it to be my DD from now on. I am tired of driving the new stuff and selling off the new and rebuilding the old.

rs74 02-06-2013 02:38 PM

Re: Project Snowball- Slow build

3 Attachment(s)
a few more

77ChevySharkBite 02-06-2013 02:52 PM

looks like a solid foundation for a restoration if you ask me! Good luck and as you know there's plenty of people here to give you advice and help out.

what kind of motor is in it now? 305 or 350?

CrazyDave 02-06-2013 02:53 PM

I feel your pain I have been there more than once with projects........ the old "Well since I'm here I might as well" syndrome LOL
Good start!!!

rs74 02-06-2013 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrazyDave (Post 5871573)
I feel your pain I have been there more than once with projects........ the old "Well since I'm here I might as well" syndrome LOL
Good start!!!

LOL! Yeah lets just hope my pocket book can give me enough to get it back to driving condition. Trying to find a 81-87 SWB 4x4 Silverado project to buy and drive in the mean time.

rs74 02-06-2013 03:14 PM

I was also going to rebuild the front end with all new ball joints and steering components but think I will wait until I can get the drop spindles and springs first. I was looking at replacing all that with MOOG parts. That would probably be alot better than buying the cheap stuff.

CrazyDave 02-06-2013 03:17 PM

MOOG is the only way to go in my opinion I spent 10 years in the parts business and they are alot better than the cheap stuff

77ChevySharkBite 02-06-2013 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rs74 (Post 5871614)
I was also going to rebuild the front end with all new ball joints and steering components but think I will wait until I can get the drop spindles and springs first. I was looking at replacing all that with MOOG parts. That would probably be alot better than buying the cheap stuff.

Yeah thats actually what I'm in the process of doing pretty soon, replacing the whole front end, with control arms and everything, you never know might not hurt to get it out of the way but yet again you could buy everything and when you get the stuff for your drop do it all at once?

rs74 02-06-2013 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 77ChevySharkBite (Post 5871624)
Yeah thats actually what I'm in the process of doing pretty soon, replacing the whole front end, with control arms and everything, you never know might not hurt to get it out of the way but yet again you could buy everything and when you get the stuff for your drop do it all at once?

I was going to do it now but it did drive pretty straight last time I had it out and drove it. On the other had if I have the frame painted then I will have to go back and re-apply the SEM stuff. It might not be that bad to do that after though. I will probably just use my factory control arms though. What is the benefit of replacing the control arms? Are you doing tubular or just factory replacement type.

77ChevySharkBite 02-06-2013 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rs74 (Post 5871634)
I was going to do it now but it did drive pretty straight last time I had it out and drove it. On the other had if I have the frame painted then I will have to go back and re-apply the SEM stuff. It might not be that bad to do that after though. I will probably just use my factory control arms though. What is the benefit of replacing the control arms? Are you doing tubular or just factory replacement type.

Yeah that true too, and there's not much of a benefit I suppose but I'm going to be lifting my truck, so I want the reassurance knowing I'll be having some new stuff there. I mean I've driven the truck occasionally seems fine but I figure might as well do it plus it can never hurt to put new stuff on it. I won't be doing tubular just the factory replacement type.

rs74 02-08-2013 03:40 PM

Just a little update. I made a mistake when adding my price for the lowering kit. The spindle and spring prices were for a pair and not single pieces so that brought dropping the truck back into play. That will save me about $500. Also priced all new MOOG ball joints and steering components as well.

Still not sure if I am going to do all that before or after painting. I got a price from my body guy today to put all new inner and outer rockers both cab corners and fix a spot on my bed plus put it all in primer for about $1000. He also said that if I wasn't going to get it painted real soon that he would put some sealer over the primer until I was ready. I also found a set of new ceramic coated Flowtech headers for $75. Does anyone know if they are a decent header. Never been put on a truck.

I am putting the brakes back on today so I can atleast use my work area for anything else that may arise. I have one of my other vehicles up for sale locally and am waiting for it to sell before moving forward to much more. Right now I can either have the body work done and maybe have the frame blasted and painted. The second option is go ahead and get the lowering kit and steering components, install, have my heads redone and may buy my WV vette rims. So those are the two options that I have right now just not sure which way I should go right now. After the other vehicle sell then that makes things a little easier.

rs74 02-08-2013 10:36 PM

I have pretty much decided to go ahead and start rebuilding the steering and lower it. I was trying to get the rear brake line off the wheel cylinder and ended up having to cut it. So that pretty much told me that I just need to start at the foundation and work my way up. I will be doing the steering and lowering kit first, rebuilding the heads, resealing the engine and trans first. I am going to try and squeeze the WV vette rims and atleast new brake lines in there. I will have to see how the fuel lines look once the cab is off. New fuel tanks as well. I think summit sells Dorman tanks. I will also need to find a place for new saddles for the tanks.

Then after the jeep sells I will get the body work done and see about paint. I will also need to buy two new front tires since the 295-50's won't be able to be used up front. It might be a week or two before I can do anything else.

rs74 02-11-2013 06:01 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Got the engine and trans out today. I decided to take the front end apart before pulling it. That will make things easier when the drop kit comes in. Which leads to a question. Correct me if I am wrong but I should take off the bump stops and brackets off the front and rear right?

Here is just a couple of tear down shots and the new ceramic headers I picked up for $75 today. Going to take the bed off next and take the power washer and wash down the front frame section and rear before installing the drop when it gets here.

rs74 02-12-2013 09:32 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Power washed the engine and trans down today. I will be setting the 350 in the corner and putting in a 355. Just a mild motor with a steel crank, pink rods, flat tops, and a 292/488 cam. Still looking for a set of heads. Thinking about putting on a set of 72cc's to stay on pump gas. Probably top it off with a performer rpm intake and I have a carter carb to get me going and then I may change it out.
The th350c will be going back in for the time being. Still up in the air about putting in a 200r4 or 700r4 trans.

Got the bed off this evening and loaded on the trailer ready for the body shop when the time comes. I am going to start taking off the bump stop mounts and upper ball joint rivets with an air chisel tonight. Not sure how far I will get tonight. Well I can I can't do the ball joint til tomorrow night. I have to roll it out tomorrow afternoon and power wash all the grime off the frame and cab. I had forgot that this bed still had on the license plate bracket that was behind the bumper. Not sure why though.

rs74 02-15-2013 01:23 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Parts are on the way. Hopefully nothing gets backorder. Then I can start rebuilding the front suspension, steering and putting on the drop kit. Here is how it sets now.

rs74 02-19-2013 06:02 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Got parts today. Still waiting on lower control arm shaft kits and the leaf spring bushings to get here. They might be here on Thursday. I even bought me a new salamander heater so I could work in the shed comfortably. Doesn't look like much but it's all my lowering kit, all new steering parts, brake lines and suspension parts. Going to try to start on it tomorrow since I don't have any jobs scheduled. Also just realized one set of my brake lines didn't show up. Will have to see where they are.

rs74 02-21-2013 11:52 PM

I started tearing down the rear suspension today. There were bolts seized in the sleeves of the shackle and leaf springs. Had to use a cut off wheel and sawzall to cut them out. Weather permitting I am going to try to get the bushings out and new ones in tomorrow. That is unless I have to stay home with my girls due to school being cancelled for the weather.

rs74 02-22-2013 10:46 AM

I had to order the new bolts that I cut off for the saddles and leaf springs. I got up this morning and had this in my email. I am in Illinois. Looks like I might have to wait a few more days to put everything back together. Drats!

IMPORTANT!
A Midwest winter storm is causing delays in AR, CO, IA, IL, IN, KS, KY, MO, NE, OK, TX and WY.

rs74 02-26-2013 10:02 PM

I have been fighting with bushings being the wrongs size. The only option for my truck was two different size bushings for the rear leafs. I got the old ones out and come to find out they take the same bushing for the front eye and rear eye. So I had to wait a day and order two more. The shackle bushings were even wrong. No one and I mean no one can get the correct bushing for them. I had to end up buying new shackles with the bushings in them today at a spring shop. So may tomorrow I can get the last two bushings pressed into the leafs and get the flip kit on it and all buttoned up. Then I am starting on the front. So far the tear down has went smooth up until these bushings. I will be glad when I get past it.

rs74 02-27-2013 03:49 PM

Not that I am ready for it but I think I have picked colors and will going with something different.

rs74 03-04-2013 11:56 PM

Things have been going kind of slow lately. Finally got the flip kit on only to realize that I am going to need shock extenders. The drivers side shock mount is right up against the flip kit plate and the bolt hole is even with the plate. Someone said to take out my overload spring and it would ride better. Not sure if it will affect the alignment of the plate and shock mount.

I started tearing down the front suspension today. Got all the control arms off and going to take them to get the bushings pressed out and new control arm shaft kits put in and bottom ball joints pressed. Might as well do it all at the same time.

I am kind of bummed right now about my cab. I was already looking at inner/outer rockers, cab corners and maybe patching a few spots in the floor. Today I found another rotted section. It is on the passenger side in front of the outer rocker and right behind the lower fender mount. I have started to look for a new cab and came across a custom deluxe with air locally. I am not to enthused about having to drill all the whole so I can put up all the trim but if that is what I have to do. It is the same year cab as mine (85) but it was made in canada. I hope there are no differences since I will have to gut my cab and tranfer it all over. Of course I need to see what they want for it first. This guy is usually high on his stuff but it has been sitting there for 4-5 years. I will call him in the morning and see what he says. I could get my cab and a section on my bed fixed for $500 but that was before what I seen today and the little bit off floor pan repair needed.

1977cheyenne_C10 03-07-2013 10:50 PM

nice man im going to be doing the same thing but im just waiting to buy all my suspension parts and save a little more money and start taking my truck apart. ill be watching this build.

rs74 03-07-2013 11:03 PM

Thanks Man I appreciate it! I thought I was the only one reading this as I was the only one posting. :lol: I am taking my control arms in tomorrow to get the bushings taken out and new pressed in as well as the bottom ball joints put in. I am also taking my bed to the body shop tomorrow afternoon so he can start patching a small spot. After I get the control arms and front drop back on then I can take the frame there and get the cab taken off. I will still need to do a little work to the frame before it is ready to be coated. A little here and a little there. Hopefully things will start to move a little faster for a bit.

Take your time and do it right. I will be waiting for your updates as well.

1977cheyenne_C10 03-08-2013 12:57 AM

lol.Are you going to paint the frame yourself? what brand of spindles did you get?

rs74 03-08-2013 09:47 AM

I am going to have the painter do the frame. He is using a product from SEM. I am pretty sure it is this stuff. http://www.semproducts.com/product-c...n/rust-shield/ It is supposed to be similar to POR15 but alot cheaper. He said when applied right that you can hit it with a ball peen hammer and it not chip.

For the drop kit up front I got Western Chassis 2.5" spindles and their 1.5" springs. For the rear I just got their flip kit but I am going to have to order shock extenders. The drivers rear shock mount hole is even with the flip kit plate. So I will have to put the extenders on to be able to run shocks. Dropping the control arms off first thing this morning, then I have a job to take care of for a few hours then I will pick them back up. Hopefully I can get everything back together this week end.