The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Grinding when I turn left and right (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=737909)

68 C10 LSX 05-15-2017 10:32 AM

Grinding when I turn left and right

Used to post here under "My New 72" more than a few years ago but haven't been on in a while. The truck was in storage for 6 years and I just got it out to and on the road again. When I parked it, everything was good. It rode and drove great. The issue I am having now is, when I turn the wheels either direction to turn, there is a pretty harsh grinding going on. Everything feels tight, but its rubbing somewhere and I can't readily see where it's coming from. Any suggestions on where to start? The front shocks are tired and need replaced, but I wouldn't think that would cause anything like this. Thanks for the help.

67 chevelle 05-15-2017 11:11 AM

Re: Grinding when I turn left and right

bad shocks can defiantly cause front end sag , allowing your tires to contact the inter fenders on sharp turns , replace them and see what happens

dfwright 05-15-2017 11:14 AM

Does it happen when rolling, or does it also happen when sitting still?

68 C10 LSX 05-15-2017 11:35 AM

Just rolling and it sounds like a metal on metal grind.

fatbass 05-15-2017 12:02 PM

If it goes away when you hit the brakes it's wheel bearings.

Boog 05-15-2017 12:07 PM

You very likely have rusted brake rotors too.

demian5 05-15-2017 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 67 chevelle (Post 7943178)
bad shocks can defiantly cause front end sag , allowing your tires to contact the inter fenders on sharp turns

How????

67 chevelle 05-15-2017 12:24 PM

is your truck lowered , if not the disregard . Have a buddy look at it while you turn wheel and roll slow

weq92f 05-15-2017 01:25 PM

If you have a POSI rear end, that could be doing it too. The clutch pack/plates can get very noisy when cornering if your rear fluid is bad. I've only experienced this when the fluid is HOT like after driving down the highway for a while, but I suppose if your truck has been sitting that long, this could be your issue.

Not sure how you would test this. Maybe jack up the rear and hold one wheel while turning the other, see if it's notchy or noisy.

-klb

demian5 05-15-2017 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 67 chevelle (Post 7943258)
is your truck lowered , if not the disregard . Have a buddy look at it while you turn wheel and roll slow

Shocks DO NOT carry any load at all, they are along for the ride (even in coil over and strut applications, the shock is a dampener of compression and rebound of the suspension ONLY). On an air shock, the air bag part holds weight, not the shock part.

If it were lowered and the shocks were fully compressed because of improper application, they would hold the ride height higher, not lower.

If it were a stock height truck and the shocks were fully extended because of improper application, they would hold the ride height lower.

In both cases, there would be other issues that would be present as well.

68 C10 LSX 05-15-2017 04:55 PM

Truck is lowered 4/6. I thought wheel bearings could be the issue and will jack the truck up and give them a spin and see. I didn't think about the rear-end though. I'll give it a look as well. It's been a while since I have messed with this thing and it seems like I have forgotten so much. Need to spend some time on here just reading and catching up. Thanks!

Steeveedee 05-15-2017 10:50 PM

Noise turning right to left sounds more like you have cavitation in the power steering pump. Check to see if it is full. If not, top it off and turn the steering gently from lock to lock. DO NOT crank the wheel hard when you reach the stops. Also, limit this turning to no more than 5 times, and then move the truck some distance. If you keep turning from lock to lock and don't move the truck, you can wear flat spots on the tires, and get an imbalance. That of course depends on how rough the surface is.

zach_carver 05-16-2017 07:44 AM

I would check brakes also, make sure a caliper isnt stuck or something possibly.

68 C10 LSX 05-16-2017 12:15 PM

Issue definitely isn't the power steering pump. I know that sound, and this isn't it. I'll give the wheel bearings and rear end a look this weekend.

BugzC10 05-17-2017 08:55 AM

Check to see if your inner wheel rim is making contact with you lower control arm. When I lowered mine I had the same noise when making a hard left or righ turn. This all depends on your wheel size and backspacing.

JohnJ@RideTech 05-17-2017 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by demian5 (Post 7943351)
Shocks DO NOT carry any load at all, they are along for the ride (even in coil over and strut applications, the shock is a dampener of compression and rebound of the suspension ONLY). On an air shock, the air bag part holds weight, not the shock part.

If it were lowered and the shocks were fully compressed because of improper application, they would hold the ride height higher, not lower.

If it were a stock height truck and the shocks were fully extended because of improper application, they would hold the ride height lower.

In both cases, there would be other issues that would be present as well.

X2--Valid Points

68 C10 LSX 05-17-2017 03:22 PM

I'm almost positive it's the rear end now. I drove it up the parking garage ramp and got some tire chirp on the hard corners along with the grinding. Not feeling any feedback through the brake pedal either and I would expect to if the bearings were worn and grinding on the spindle etc. Still going to check everything over this weekend.

mattfranklin 05-17-2017 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 68 C10 LSX (Post 7945180)
I'm almost positive it's the rear end now. I drove it up the parking garage ramp and got some tire chirp on the hard corners along with the grinding. Not feeling any feedback through the brake pedal either and I would expect to if the bearings were worn and grinding on the spindle etc. Still going to check everything over this weekend.

Sounds like a good plan. At least change the fluid before you go too far in mechanically.

Another wild thought. Make sure the lug nuts are tight. Could be someone messed with them while in storage.

4gearchev 05-19-2017 07:05 AM

My 72 is lowered about the same amount in the front with drop spindles. I have had problems before with the rim hitting the lower control arm on sharp turns, they are 15" rallies from Speedway. Sounds like the same noise you described. Check underneath for fresh metal. Hope that helps

68 C10 LSX 05-19-2017 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4gearchev (Post 7946514)
My 72 is lowered about the same amount in the front with drop spindles. I have had problems before with the rim hitting the lower control arm on sharp turns, they are 15" rallies from Speedway. Sounds like the same noise you described. Check underneath for fresh metal. Hope that helps

Yeah, I used to have that issue until I ground off the curled lip on the ends of the lower control arms to stop it from happening. I'm running 18's now too, so it was only happening at full lock coming out of parking lots and the suspension would get loaded on one side.

Bought the gear oil yesterday but have to order the gasket because no one around here has one in stock.

weq92f 05-19-2017 10:14 AM

If you gear oil doesn't have the Posi additive already, be sure to add some.

-klb

68 C10 LSX 05-30-2017 03:20 PM

Changed the gear oil over the weekend and it looked good. A little low, but good. Still have the grinding when turning, no change at all. Didn't have a jack to get the front wheels off the ground, so removing the front wheels and rotors to check the bearings will have to wait until I get back in town in a couple weeks. I was really hoping changing the diff. oil would fix the issue. Oh well, just another reason to get dirty.

TXBoudy 05-30-2017 03:28 PM

I bet you won't stow it away for years again... They have feelings you know, though yours seems to be of vengeance. Good luck getting it purring again.

Boudy

68 C10 LSX 05-30-2017 03:34 PM

Definitely not going into storage again. Found some rust bubbling through the inside roof around the door seam the other day too. Very unhappy about that. I didn't really need another reason to blast the cab and get rid of the hugger orange paint, but now I have one.