The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Paint & Bodywork (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   painting up side down (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=750102)

Harleymike 11-08-2017 02:07 PM

painting up side down

Was just looking over things and thinking. I have a question.
How do I use a gravity spray gun to paint the inside cab roof. It would be upside down.
I have an old cheap gravity feed, I could use just for the cab roof I suppose.
Any thoughts, thanks.
Mike

MARTINSR 11-08-2017 02:24 PM

Re: painting up side down

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harleymike (Post 8078058)
Was just looking over things and thinking. I have a question.
How do I use a gravity spray gun to paint the inside cab roof. It would be upside down.
I have an old cheap gravity feed, I could use just for the cab roof I suppose.
Any thoughts, thanks.
Mike

If you hold the gun at an angle with it full you can paint up there, it's not the perfect pattern but it's not a super critical place either. But yeah, you can do it.

Brian

Harleymike 11-08-2017 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MARTINSR (Post 8078076)
If you hold the gun at an angle with it full you can paint up there, it's not the perfect pattern but it's not a super critical place either. But yeah, you can do it.

Brian

OK, ya I suppose it doesn't have to be perfect. No one will really look there.
Thanks

kxmotox247 11-08-2017 09:07 PM

Using a system like this will allow you to spray in any position. This is the devilbiss system but there are others out there.

http://www.tcpglobal.com/DEV-DPC-STA...l#.WgOppWeWxdc

The gun will behave a little differently with the system in place.

Foot Stomper 11-08-2017 09:24 PM

Actually, the gun isn't really up side down if you think about it.
It's actually at a 90 degree to the panel most of the time so when spraying the roof, it could even be at less than a 90 degree...like 60 degree which still will allow the paint to flow.
To make my point, imagine painting a panel that is level with the floor, it's not really much different that painting the inside of the cab roof.

sprint_9 11-09-2017 12:51 AM

Im using PPS cups, they work pretty good for upside down and sideways. I found myself spraying sideways more than I thought I would, with a cup system you just go and dont worry about it.

72HuggerK20 11-09-2017 06:43 PM

PPS cups are the best thing invented for painters. I was skeptical at first. They're worth the investment. You can spray at any angle, they're easy to clean up, they're quick, you don't need mixing cups anymore, etc.

Foot Stomper 11-09-2017 07:10 PM

Only problem with using a suction gun is that PPS does not fit the gun. :mm:

72HuggerK20 11-09-2017 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Foot Stomper (Post 8078949)
Only problem with using a suction gun is that PPS does not fit the gun. :mm:

That's not the only problem with suction guns, I might add. Do they put paint on the panel? Sure. Can you lay it down smooth? Sure. Will you waste half or more of your paint by making it into a cloud? Absolutely. They're yesterday's technology, plain and simple. I get it if you only paint a car every couple years and you've had a suction gun for 30 years that works for you. Today though, for painting cars, buying a new suction gun would be my last choice.

Also, OP wants to use a gravity gun, so PPS or Devilbiss cups will work.

I'd recommend that he get one of the starter kits off amazon and an adaptor for his gun just to see how he likes them.