The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Engine & Drivetrain (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Show me your Edelbrock throttle return! (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=239082)

Billla 04-30-2007 09:52 PM

Show me your Edelbrock throttle return!

How do YOU hook up your throttle return spring for your Edelbrock Performer carb?

I'm not real happy with the options I've been using and thought I would pick the brains of the Wise Ones (everyone but me :)) on the board.

Thanks!

Bob D 04-30-2007 10:30 PM

Re: Show me your Edelbrock throttle return!

1 Attachment(s)
I'll state first off that I am not one of the wise ones, but I'll post a pic of what I did: I made a small steel tab bolted to the right water neck stud.

Bob

Billla 04-30-2007 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob D (Post 2152615)
I'll state first off that I am not one of the wise ones, but I'll post a pic of what I did: I made a small steel tab bolted to the right water neck stud.

Bob

Yes, you are :-D That's basically what I've been doing so far and it works perfectly.

MylilBowTie 05-01-2007 01:13 AM

I like how you made your vacuum lines out of metal tubing and rubber ends. That is something I would like to do with mine. Do you know what size tube is used?

I have the same spring setup for my 1406 also. But I have seen a pretty slick throttle bracket. It kind of looks like a bracket for a cable shifter. Bolts to the driverside studs for the carb. It mounts the springs lower on the throttle shaft setup kind of like stock does.

'68OrangeSunshine 05-01-2007 05:37 AM

[QUOTE= But I have seen a pretty slick throttle bracket. It kind of looks like a bracket for a cable shifter. Bolts to the driverside studs for the carb. It mounts the springs lower on the throttle shaft setup kind of like stock does.[/QUOTE]

I don't know if the size of my avatar helps seeing detail that close, but I have that type of throttle return spring bracket on the EDL-1405 on my 292 L6. It was perfect for my application, since with the 4-Bbl rotated 90* on an Offy intake, I had nowhere to attach a return spring -- once I went to a cable accelerator set-up. A long brake spring going to the brake lines on the master cylinder was too scary.
Mine's a Jeg's house brand but both Edelbrock and Holley list them. Here's the Holley p/n from a Summit catalog: HLY-20-112. My cat's old so look up the current price at www.SummitRacing.com.

swb85 05-01-2007 09:36 AM

I've got mine hooked to the throttle bracket:

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k5...383/355004.jpg

pharcydekm 05-01-2007 12:08 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Sorry the booster hose is kinda in the way on the pic but this is my setup. Lokar cables and bracket. Been pretty happy with it so far.

71Dragtruck 05-01-2007 11:07 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Just a hint of advice, if you have the springs pulling back with the throttle cable it is harder on the trottle blade shafts then if you put the springs pulling forward counteracting the force from the cable. They will wear less that way.

pharcydekm 05-01-2007 11:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 71Dragtruck (Post 2154392)
Just a hint of advice, if you have the springs pulling back with the throttle cable it is harder on the trottle blade shafts then if you put the springs pulling forward counteracting the force from the cable. They will wear less that way.

Wow that is a nice engine!!! Thanks for the advice! Next time I'm in the garage I will take a look and see what I need to do to change it. Great point.

'68OrangeSunshine 05-04-2007 05:44 AM

Here's that p/n of Jeg's version of the throttle return spring bracket:
555-15227 $40. About half the price of the Holley, but it's still made in USA.

Bob D 05-04-2007 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MylilBowTie (Post 2152906)
I like how you made your vacuum lines out of metal tubing and rubber ends. That is something I would like to do with mine. Do you know what size tube is used?

I have the same spring setup for my 1406 also. But I have seen a pretty slick throttle bracket. It kind of looks like a bracket for a cable shifter. Bolts to the driverside studs for the carb. It mounts the springs lower on the throttle shaft setup kind of like stock does.

I used 3/16" brake line that I had left over.

Bob

Billla 05-10-2007 02:44 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Thought I should poste where I ended up. This is the Summit throttle return, the Holley TH350 kick-down cable mount, Spectre (I hate their stuff, but it was handy and cheap :)) throttle return spring bracket and a custom-cut throttle return spring from NAPA. Works well, looks safe - only a single spring, though...

I suspect I'll pick up the really nice Holley or Lokar bracket sometime in the future - likely when I transfer this engine to the soon (?) to be restored chassis.

Yes, I know about the frayed water temp sender wire - fixing it now :)

northeimcustom 03-31-2012 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pharcydekm (Post 2153459)
Sorry the booster hose is kinda in the way on the pic but this is my setup. Lokar cables and bracket. Been pretty happy with it so far.

can someone tell me what throttle cable this is please?

in pharcydekm's photo.......6 posts up sorry....

'68OrangeSunshine 04-01-2012 11:36 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Let's see if I can pull it up...
OK, This is from my 2005 292 build.
You can't see it, but I had to cut off the last inch of the throttle return assembly to avoid contact with the valve cover.