The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   My 64 Project (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=578256)

Slammed96 08-17-2021 10:18 AM

Re: My 64 Project

5 Attachment(s)
Oh wow this thread is out of date. A few quick photos for update: discovered my cab rot was far worse than I had thought, so used the vast majority of the sheet metal off of the cut up parts cab to repair the floors and cab corners. Also had to get creative on a few patches, like the weather stripping channel. Ive made a ton more progress since this, I just need to find the time to update it all...

The Rocknrod 08-17-2021 12:14 PM

Wow, that's a bunch of work. Thanks for the update.
And you say you did even more?

Slammed96 08-17-2021 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Rocknrod (Post 8959054)
Wow, that's a bunch of work. Thanks for the update.
And you say you did even more?

Oh much, much more! I have far too much free time to mess with this thing.

Slammed96 08-17-2021 03:48 PM

4 Attachment(s)
A little more update: once the cab was back together, took the truck to a buddy to get the frame step notched. Then redid the fuel system, a Boyds welding tank fit the bill quite nicely. Also swapped in some chrome, and decided that patchwork primer wasn't a good color. Ended up settling on some Rustoleum Vintage teal as my new color of choice. :metal:

Slammed96 08-17-2021 06:22 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Swapped out all the cab and core support bushings for new. Then continued with both panel painting and also rust repair. Very excited, I managed to score a set of 66 910 badges for the truck, which are quite hard to come by in Kansas. Decided that the 73-87 lower arms hung too low (put some really nice gouges in the blacktop on a dip) so I swapped them out for some CPP tubulars.
*Sorry for the fact there are only 5 pics per post. My photo bucket got deleted and the forum only lets me direct upload 5 at a time.*

Slammed96 08-17-2021 06:31 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Snagged an OE fender to replace the wonky repop on the passenger side. Needed a little love, but nothing terrible. For making this up as I go, Im not too upset by how the repairs came out. Im definitely not a body man, but I guess I'll fake it until I make it.

Slammed96 08-17-2021 06:39 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Along with the fender and a few other parts, I got a set of inner door panels. I figured I would see what kind of damage I could do with a bead roller on them. I really like the outcome, however unfortunately I warped the hell out of them. Hopefully I can get them worked back straight and use them. Gives the truck a nice kustom touch.

Slammed96 08-17-2021 06:53 PM

4 Attachment(s)
A few other odds and ends: found a set of year correct chrome grille letters, as well as some rather nice headlight visors. Also picked up a nice chrome front bumper for the truck as well. Got super lucky and found a 66 Miss America license plate for the truck. Not sure I'll leave it there all the time, but it makes for a really awesome touch at shows. If I ever get this thing done and go to them at least. Right now the current project(s) on it are painting the cab and doors, the bed is having a set of 59 caddy tail lights frenched in, working on fabbing up mounts for a 59 Buick rear bumper I scored, and also waiting to get the bed back so I can install a set of 61 Impala rear wheel arches on the bedsides before painting and reassembling them. I've also taken a different route on the wheels and tires. Sorry guys, but no more slots. Soon she will be riding on a set of white walls mounted on truck rallies so that I can run the Cadillac sombrero hubcaps I picked up. Going to be a fully different truck once I get done. Hoping to have it together and finished for my wedding in June 2022, so it's crunch time! I'll try and update some more progress pictures as I can. Gotta transfer them from my phone to the computer.

cwcarpenter98 08-17-2021 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slammed96 (Post 8959220)
Im definitely not a body man, but I guess I'll fake it until I make it.

That's where I'm at with my repairs too! :lol:

You've done some great work already. I like the color choice too

SCOTI 08-18-2021 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slammed96 (Post 8959146)
A little more update: once the cab was back together, took the truck to a buddy to get the frame step notched. Then redid the fuel system, a Boyds welding tank fit the bill quite nicely. Also swapped in some chrome, and decided that patchwork primer wasn't a good color. Ended up settling on some Rustoleum Vintage teal as my new color of choice. :metal:

Rattle can or bulk w/a spray-gun?

Slammed96 08-24-2021 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCOTI (Post 8959548)
Rattle can or bulk w/a spray-gun?

Rattle can :cool: I'm doing this as inexpensively as I can. Also without a compressor I'm limited in my options. So far it doesn't look too bad.

SCOTI 08-24-2021 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slammed96 (Post 8962124)
Rattle can :cool: I'm doing this as inexpensively as I can. Also without a compressor I'm limited in my options. So far it doesn't look too bad.

Agreed. Sometimes we 'gotta' work w/what we have.

Slammed96 08-24-2021 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SCOTI (Post 8962143)
Agreed. Sometimes we 'gotta' work w/what we have.

True that! Tradition building at its finest!

Slammed96 08-24-2021 10:46 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Few more pictures to update: some repairs on the drivers door.

Slammed96 08-24-2021 11:04 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Continuation of door repair/repaint.

Slammed96 08-24-2021 11:22 AM

4 Attachment(s)
A few other odds and ends before I jump into the cab painting pictures that bring things up to current speed. Finally found a 59 buick bumper for the truck, so did some mockup on that. Obviously will need the bed on for final fitment. Also will have to build some mounts for it, though that doesn't look like it will be hard. Swapped out the headers for a correct set, so now I can actually change my spark plugs when need be. Theres tons more pictures of everything else I've done on here, they just take forever to upload so if you want to see more on something just ask!

Lakeside65 08-24-2021 01:27 PM

Static with a step notch?? That’s awesome lol. I’m digging the custom touches like the Buick rear bumper!

Slammed96 08-24-2021 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lakeside65 (Post 8962204)
Static with a step notch?? That’s awesome lol. I’m digging the custom touches like the Buick rear bumper!

Gotta do what you gotta do! I figure eventually down the line I'd like to put air ride on it, so might as well get it ready lol. I'll be throwing a couple other little kustom touches in before it's all said and done. Should be one of a kind once she's all back together.

Lakeside65 08-24-2021 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slammed96 (Post 8962283)
Gotta do what you gotta do! I figure eventually down the line I'd like to put air ride on it, so might as well get it ready lol. I'll be throwing a couple other little kustom touches in before it's all said and done. Should be one of a kind once she's all back together.

Super cool. This is motivating me to add some kustom touches. Keep at it man, can't wait to see the progress.

1971 GMC SHORTY 08-25-2021 12:36 AM

Just Love GMC Front Ends, Can’t wait To finish Mine l

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slammed96 (Post 8959234)
A few other odds and ends: found a set of year correct chrome grille letters, as well as some rather nice headlight visors. Also picked up a nice chrome front bumper for the truck as well. Got super lucky and found a 66 Miss America license plate for the truck. Not sure I'll leave it there all the time, but it makes for a really awesome touch at shows. If I ever get this thing done and go to them at least. Right now the current project(s) on it ar e painting the cab and doors, the bed is having a set of 59 caddy tail lightsfrenched in, working on fabbing up mounts for a 59 Buick rear bumper I scored, and also waiting to get the bed back so I can install a set of 61 Impala rear wheel arches on the bedsides before painting and reassembling them. I've also taken a different route on the wheelsand tires. Sorry guys, but no more slots. Soon she will be riding on a set of white walls mounted on truck rallies so that I can run the Cadillac sombrero hubcaps I picked up. Going to be a fully different truck once I get done. Hoping to have it together and finished for my wedding in June 2022, so it's crunch time! I'll try and update some more progress pictures as I can. Gotta transfer them from my phone to the computer.

88Stanger 08-25-2021 10:22 AM

Awesome work on this!! Great Job, looking forward to updates!!!

Slammed96 09-16-2021 04:39 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Another update: got the cab painted in two tone. Decided I wanted to have some fun with the roof though, so I put a little more time into that portion of things....

Slammed96 09-16-2021 04:43 PM

5 Attachment(s)
I can honestly say that I probably have as much, or more, time in just this roof panel than all the rest of the paint work on this truck so far. Also for those who didnt know, rattle can pearl does not lay out smooth at all.

Slammed96 09-16-2021 04:47 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Final outcome was far and away better than I could have expected. Not perfect by any means, but for never having done this before I'm very happy with it.

The Rocknrod 09-16-2021 06:35 PM

Thats cool!