The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Electrical (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=64)
-   -   Dies as soon as i let off the gas! (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=539315)

punkrq 08-20-2012 11:49 PM

Dies as soon as i let off the gas!

I have a 91' blazer full size with 5.7l tbi. it will be easier 2 say what i haven't done, cuz i'm pretty deep with both time, and $ in this thing. it died on me @ a stop light 3 weeks ago, and has only ran 2x since. it will not start unless i stay on the gas peddle, and dies immediately when i let off. i have replaced the fuel pump, and filter, and the entire ignition. help me please!
Posted via Mobile Device

LEEVON 08-21-2012 12:10 AM

Re: Dies as soon as i let off the gas!

TBI is not my thing, but the TPS and IAC sensors commonly have issues. That might help you start Googling. Check out fullsizechevy.com and 73-87chevy.com (CaptainFab over there knows his TBI).

Oh, and welcome!

punkrq 08-21-2012 01:46 AM

thank u. i have replaced the iac,tps,cts,oil press sending unit, and the map sensor. they were all fairly innexpensive, and i wasn't overly confident with my testing. the oil press was failing 4 awhile, and when i replaced the ign. module, and pick up coil i had 2 have the distributer out and that gave me easy access to that unit. i also have changed the ign. coil,plugs,cap, and rotor. i have good spray pattern from the injectors, and plenty of pressure from the fuel pump, that i had 2 replace about 6 months ago. i'll check out the other forums also. and again thanks for the advice.
Posted via Mobile Device

VH Coachworks 08-21-2012 01:58 AM

When you start it up and are on the gas, how does the engine act? As in will it idle smooth at a higher rpm while giving it a gas? I was going to say that you should check the ignition coil and the pick up coil but it looks like you've already replaced that!

MikeyMan 08-21-2012 05:50 AM

Maybe a vaccuum leak?

My 307 2bbl acted the same way, a vac line came undone and was sucking air.

LEEVON 08-21-2012 09:14 AM

Oooh, thought of something else. The timing advance is run through the computer, there is a brown/white wire that enters the firewall down low on the driver's side, like below the brake booster. If you don't disconnect that whenever you're working on ignition stuff you will blow the 10a fuse and the truck will remain at 0 degrees through all RPM. Check the fuse.

walterbolton 09-04-2012 02:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeyMan (Post 5549984)
Maybe a vaccuum leak?

My 307 2bbl acted the same way, a vac line came undone and was sucking air.

exactly what i was thinking, keep it running at a constant rpm as possible and spray brake cleaner on the intake where it mates to the heads and the ends and see if the rpm changes

GEARBOXGARAGE 09-06-2012 06:48 PM

Years ago I had an '89 S10 that was having similar issues and it kept throwing out trouble codes. I fixed or replaced the majority of the parts that you had, until it was determined that the computer was fried, not allowing the engine to run properly, hence the trouble codes. Put a new computer in and all the problems went away. Just a thought......