The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   Suspension (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Rear suspension setup / options ?'s (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=797465)

muddstir 12-01-2019 07:15 PM

Rear suspension setup / options ?'s

So I'm getting close to starting my first 2wd build and I got some questions.

So my plan with this truck is to make it a driver but go to the track with my friends (drag strip and maybe a road course) but just to have fun. I also want to still be able to haul toys in the bed and pull a trailer down the interstate.

Truck specs- 71 short bed, 6.0l with a 6speed manual. I want to install an upgraded braking system with disc brakes on the rear but not sure what system yet. Rear end is a 12 bolt. Don't know what I want to do to the front system but 2.5in drop spindles will be installed.

The rear setup has a new trailing arm crossmember (I think it's the cheap eBay special one) but looks decent, and that's it. I did just order the cpp totally tubular trailing arms.

Now my question is- what is my best option for springs and how low can I go till I have to c-notch the frame (I don't want to c-notch / but I feel like it like to drop the ride height down 4in ).
Drop springs, air bags, or coil overs not sure what will work the best and work with what I already got. And is there anything else that I need for any of them to work with what I got. Like special crossmember for shocks or brackets for coil overs ect.

Sorry for the jumpyness of this post.

68Stepbed 12-02-2019 02:36 PM

Re: Rear suspension setup / options ?'s

You can either hodge podge it together with various mediocre parts, or step up to something that is engineered to do exactly what you're wanting.

https://totalcostinvolved.com/produc...ar-suspension/

68Stepbed 12-02-2019 02:48 PM

As for rear brakes, I used this CaptianFab caliper bracket, StopTech rotors for AWD Astro van, and Wilwood D52 small piston calipers for my setup.

muddstir 12-03-2019 01:46 PM

68Stepbed - that was a nice suspension setup in that link, kinda just wish it would work with the trailing arms I already bought. I'll also have to keep that brake setup in mind so when I get there I've have something to go off of.

Since I got cpp trailing arms I decided to call them yesterday to see what options they had. And to also see what they would recommend.

So we came up with the bolt on coil-over kit.
https://www.classicperform.com/coilo...372RCOK-03.htm

Does anybody have this kit installed on their truck, do you like -or- dislike it.?

Ziegelsteinfaust 12-07-2019 06:44 PM

For the front a few simple crossmember mods give great performance for a couple days work.

Pancake the cross member for better ground clearance.

Move the lower A arm forward 1" for better camber gain.

And then lower the upper A arm mount 1/4-1/2 inch for additional camber gain.

Upgrade box to a firmer/faster model of your choice.

No bolt on solution with out a crossmember will do as much for the effort.

Personally my next C20 project will have all that done to it, but I plan to use leaf springs. Since I will be doing up a square i want it to look stock, but still be able to tear it up a bit.

muddstir 12-14-2019 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ziegelsteinfaust (Post 8639104)
For the front a few simple crossmember mods give great performance for a couple days work.

Move the lower A arm forward 1" for better camber gain.

I have a question on this mod.
Does shifting the lower a arm cause any issues with the spring? Since the spring pockets won't be on centerline with each other.

(Going to assume that ment to say castor ).

PGSigns 12-16-2019 08:01 AM

I moved mine 5/8" forward and had no issues with the spring and could easily get 5 degrees of caster. My final alignment was at 4 degrees and it drives good. There is a caster mod thread to see how it is done. You can us the trailing arms you have and ad the No-Limit track bar and shock relocation kit. The both work well.
Jimmy

Ziegelsteinfaust 12-18-2019 02:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by muddstir (Post 8642854)
I have a question on this mod.
Does shifting the lower a arm cause any issues with the spring? Since the spring pockets won't be on centerline with each other.

(Going to assume that ment to say castor ).

I meant in relationship to the upper a-arm. I physically move the upper brackets back 1 inch, and weld on to the base again.