The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   Utility Buckets w/ Console (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=754121)

SeventyOne 01-05-2018 01:37 AM

Utility Buckets w/ Console

Does anyone know if you can squeeze in the console between the utility buckets?

Or if not what do people run for consoles if they have utility buckets?

Thanks in advance.

SeventyOne 01-05-2018 01:39 AM

Re: Utility Buckets w/ Console

Ok well i DID search for maybe 30 mins before posting but of course I found this wonderful post/Pic right after :lol:

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...0&postcount=23

1rippen6 01-05-2018 06:46 AM

I had a 71 with utility buckets and a console I'm assuming it came that way.

68panelman 01-05-2018 09:10 AM

My '70 with utilities has one. Unsure if it came from the factory with it, but I had one and was able to it jamb in, it's a tight fit and I didn't even bother with bolting it down

broda1 01-05-2018 09:35 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by SeventyOne (Post 8152294)
Does anyone know if you can squeeze in the console between the utility buckets?

Or if not what do people run for consoles if they have utility buckets?

Thanks in advance.

Mine Fit. (see pic) and I have couple different 70's consoles but I recently chose to run a hot swappable configuration with new electronics (see other pic).

hemi43 01-05-2018 11:09 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I'm using utility seats with console. It does fit, but it is tight. Biggest issue is the side of the passenger seat rubbing the console when you tilt it forwards.
To me it's worth it. I prefer the look and comfort of the utility seats better.

72chevynut 01-29-2018 11:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeventyOne (Post 8152300)
Ok well i DID search for maybe 30 mins before posting but of course I found this wonderful post/Pic right after :lol:

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...0&postcount=23

Cool, that's my ole K5! To answer your question, yes a sport bucket seat console did fit between those utility buckets. I had read that it wouldn't but tried it and it did. That's why I posted the picture. With that being said I have since found out that there are a couple different utility bucket seat designs. I'm not sure on the other style utility bucket seats. The blazer pictured was a 1971 model, I believe earlier (69-70) may have had different utility seat/floor brackets. This may be reason console will work with some and not others.

tmontg01 02-09-2018 03:40 AM

So glad you posted this, I was just told by a friend 3 days ago this wouldn't work. I completely re-did a console for my blazer and haven't had the chance to redo the interior and was crushed when I was told this wouldn't work. Glad to see it will fit and you provided a good link, thanks!

preciador6 02-16-2018 01:59 PM

watching

rsavage 02-16-2018 05:37 PM

I had a console in my 71. You can elongate the mounting holes in your seat tracks and brackets sideways a bit to move each seat towards the door slightly to gain a bit. Just have to remember to hold the back of the passenger set towards the outside when you tip it forward.

special-K 02-17-2018 08:48 AM

Just to be clear on consoles, they only came with the CST seats. Utility buckets were standard with buckets/no console was the option for base trim. These seats came with buckle holders screwed to the inner side bottom edge.

The fit question has already been answered, yes but tight squeeze.

rsavage 02-17-2018 11:20 AM

Right. Actually a driver only utility was base. In my 71, I put a later cup holder console in with utility buckets and I'll do the same with the 69. I'm a coffee drinker and got to have a place for my Tim Horton's (you guys down south might someday be lucky enough to have a cup of Tim Hortons coffee) When I head south to my son's place in NC the furthest south I have found one is in West Virginia, and then it is just a little express one in a gas station convenience shop.

rsavage 02-17-2018 11:32 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is my 71 Utility/Console

Gary 70 Jimmy 02-17-2018 05:00 PM

hickey is smaller and fits better

SeventyOne 02-18-2018 02:24 AM

Rsavage where'd you get the houndstooth utility bucket upholstery?

Gary - Just had to do a search for that console. Never seen one before!

rsavage 02-18-2018 07:28 AM

The upholstery guy I use ordered it and made the seat covers for the front buckets and rear seat. I had a softopper on that Blazer and I figured it would be a lot cooler on behinds if the top was down (as opposed to black vinyl).

Gary 70 Jimmy 02-18-2018 10:42 AM

I have one never put with the utility seats but did try with custom seats is to narrow and don't look right. They come up on the board haven't seen one in a while.

mrtoni 02-18-2018 03:49 PM

Gary, can you post a pic of your hickey console? I have two but might be con-ferr vs hickey. Mine has a fold up seatback and key lock. Hickey had a latch vs key

SeventyOne 02-20-2018 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rsavage (Post 8191006)
The upholstery guy I use ordered it and made the seat covers for the front buckets and rear seat. I had a softopper on that Blazer and I figured it would be a lot cooler on behinds if the top was down (as opposed to black vinyl).

Ok might have to contact some local shops. My Blazer is getting painted hugger orange and I'm going with a lighter interior color. Trying to see what's out there...