The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   What brand of spark plug? (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=374827)

Fatback 12-03-2009 11:40 PM

Re: What brand of spark plug?

I have used Autolites....After 30 years,I've never had any trouble.
I have bought one set of AC Delco....One died after about a month, Replaced it with one of the old Autolites I removed.
That was my first and last set of AC's

highperf4x4 12-04-2009 12:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tomtuna1978 (Post 3654256)
have been a technition for 18 years and i have made more money on people putting bosch platinum plugs in theyr car than brake jobs ! they foul out every time ! put factory plugs in it and you will never have a problem !

Exactly. A platinum plug is designed for fuel injected and computer controlled engines that burn much more efficiently at even temperatures. Even then they don't last as long as a standard plug. The platinum electrode is so small that it can't keep itself cleaned off in a carbureted engine with so many rich spots and carbon. The bigger the electrode the better. As long as you're running the right temp plug for your engine and throwing plenty of juice (like an HEI or msd setup), you won't beat a standard ac delco.

I run AC Delco R45TS in mine with 50,000 volt HEI and 8.8mm accel wires.

Champions are junk
Autolites are not far behind.

'72customdeluxe 12-04-2009 02:38 AM

NGK UR4 v-power's, had the best luck with these

special-K 12-04-2009 07:27 AM

A split plug is an attempt to compensate for a weak ignition.if you want more or hotter spark,start with the distributor/coil.A standard plug will take all you can give it.

Here`s a fun little thing.Take a champion spark plug and any other spark plug,hold both at the base,and strike the porceline together.Every time the champion will break.

rwolf9653 12-04-2009 08:52 AM

I am really suprised at all of the hate for autolite!?:confused:

Jim_PA 12-04-2009 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rwolf9653 (Post 3654708)
I am really suprised at all of the hate for autolite!?:confused:

I've been running them for the last 10+ years in 4 different vehicles, never had one go bad.

bamabaxter 12-04-2009 09:55 AM

Same here....never had a problem with my autolites. Running a set of 8924's in my aluminum heads gapped @.045, barely rolls over once before it fires right up.

'72customdeluxe 12-04-2009 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by '72customdeluxe (Post 3654561)
NGK UR4 v-power's, had the best luck with these

Quote:

Originally Posted by special-K (Post 3654670)
A split plug is an attempt to compensate for a weak ignition.if you want more or hotter spark,start with the distributor/coil.A standard plug will take all you can give it.

Here`s a fun little thing.Take a champion spark plug and any other spark plug,hold both at the base,and strike the porceline together.Every time the champion will break.

Ok... Accel super coil and their performance module, used to have 8.8 spiral pro wires until I burned one. Now crappy super stocks. Will get some 'spensive un-assembled wires soon and custom fit them because universals suck. And mine are "leaking". I have plenty of ignition power. Ngks are the same price as delcos and don't rust to ****. When I was still having various problems (like my intake gaskets) they lasted longer too. They are also short, good for headers.

67ss&99ss 12-04-2009 08:10 PM

NGK in everything. Just got a set today to replace the AC's that are in my Nova.

UltraBlue71 12-05-2009 12:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by powell72 (Post 3654163)
My thoughts exactly.

x3

BigChevy80 12-05-2009 02:09 AM

Plain black AC plugs in everything for me (even the lawn mowers). Autolites are crap in my opinion. But then again they are made by the same company that makes FRAM oil filters. Maybe that's why I won't let one near anything I own.

Arad68 12-05-2009 02:47 AM

AC Delco or NGK. Both are top notch.

70c10-08 12-05-2009 09:59 AM

Champion in my atv, AC Delco in my S10, E3 in my c10 and Silverado and Autolite in my 2 F#%?s

Gene 12-05-2009 12:41 PM

Ac Delco without a doubt, as Shane said, if GM trusts them I guess I can too. Ditto on the champions, they suck!!

highperf4x4 12-05-2009 01:16 PM

Well, basically from what I can tell in this thread, AC Delco is the top choice (by popularity anyway) and Champions suck @&&.

Autolites appear to be somewhat neutral.................

VDOG 12-05-2009 11:31 PM

2 Attachment(s)
My truck was running terrible so before I checked each plug and this is what I found. My Autolite Platiumn which are bout 2 months old are fouled out and checkout the one below. When I pulled the plug boot off, the porcelin drop out of the boot. Done with Autolites!

highperf4x4 12-06-2009 12:24 AM

Autolites not so neutral again........... :ito:

El Jay 12-06-2009 12:24 AM

ACCEL shorties, because ACs won't fit behind the headers.

Many, many moons ago, my Dad, who specialized in/did only tune ups & carburetors, was sent to the GM Training Center in Burbank, CA. He was told/taught to use OEM spark plugs; i.e. AC Delco for GM, Autolite for Ford, etc.

What he taught me has worked for me for more than a few decades.

HighwayHum72 12-06-2009 05:02 AM

:floss: Autolite 145 copper is probably the best spark plug for our sb trucks, if you would spin that through your thick head, you might get it... :floss:

highperf4x4 12-06-2009 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HighwayHum72 (Post 3658068)
:floss: Autolite 145 copper is probably the best spark plug for our sb trucks, if you would spin that through your thick head, you might get it... :floss:

First of all don't state your opinions like they're facts. There's alot of good minds in this thread that disagree and that makes you look foolish.

Secondly, if you're going to be sarcastic why don't you quote someone so we can figure out what order we're going to start yelling at you?

leddzepp 12-06-2009 01:12 PM

AC Delco

BigChevy80 12-06-2009 02:47 PM

Any plugs with the word "copper, platinum, iridium, etc" in the title are good for one thing: draining your wallet. If you have a newer engine with ignition systems that require platimum plugs then that's understandable, but these engines aren't state of the art technology. It's like putting a hubcap on a tractor. It might look purdy, but other than that it serves no purpose. But far be it from me to tell people how to waste their own money...

88JRFAN 12-06-2009 03:29 PM

Have used Autolites for years. We have even used them in the dirt track car. Never had a problem.

VDOG 12-06-2009 04:01 PM

This was the first time I ever used Autolites, normally I Champion's were in my truck. Thought I would try something different. Now my engine is in need of a rebuild so I dont expect the plug to make it that much better.
Heck I dont know, I came here to see what was the plug of choice was, but it looks like were all using what works for us. I bought NGK's, and I will keep you posted.

Legolas894 12-06-2009 11:04 PM

I think this is really the Coke vs Pepsi for most except high performance. I took out a really old set of Champions in the 283. Replaced them with another set of Champion (same type). No issues so far. I'm not drag racing this 42 year old engine. I probably will go for AC Delco next time (I usually go OEM and didn't think about that when I bought the Champions since they were already there).

My Astro van and Caprice wagon are AC Delco.

My wife's Mazda has Bosch Iridium but that's fuel injected and there's only 4 plugs to buy so who cares.

:gmc2: