The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Getting ready for Hurricane Irma (Going to ride it out) (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=746163)

brian1971 09-06-2017 11:04 PM

Getting ready for Hurricane Irma (Going to ride it out)

5 Attachment(s)
Im down here in east Fort Lauderdale,FL and have been shuttering up my house and my parents house last night/today.Put the shutters up on the garage this evening and tried to protect the old trucks and car in garage in case anything falls from rafters.The garage was built after Hurricane Andrew up to new building codes also extra ties were put on rafters.Maybe I have screwed up thinking but have been thinking of my old trucks/car more than my own safety.My sister has been begging me to leave and come up to her house in Mooresville,NC but can't bring myself to leave.I've been through Hurricane Andrew,Katrina and Wilma so it's not the first one for me but this one seems different.I'll let everyone knows how it turns out and if your in Fort Lauderdale area and need any help private message me.
Brian

Coley 09-06-2017 11:10 PM

Re: Getting ready for Hurricane Irma (Going to ride it out)

Hang in there....sounds and looks like you are on top of things.
We wish you people very well during that storm....so keep safe, keep warm, keep fed and keep dry!!
We are pulling for you from the great white north.

Regards & best of luck.
Coley

'70_402 09-06-2017 11:12 PM

as long as it doesn't flood... do you think it will? Like in texas?

brian1971 09-06-2017 11:19 PM

Thanks Coley I appreciate the well wishes and 70 402 it all depends on when the tides come in around here.I live about a block off canal that leads out to the ocean hopefully storm hits at low tide.Garage was raised up a couple feet higher than old garage when it was rebuilt so I think it will be ok.

LEEVON 09-06-2017 11:28 PM

Stay safe man! We rode out Katrina, Wilma, Rita, etc in Miami Lakes. Hurricanes suck!

brian1971 09-06-2017 11:36 PM

Thanks Leevon!! Yeah you know the routine, you should see the lines for gas freaking nuts around here.

12secondnova 09-07-2017 12:01 AM

PUT EVERYTHING ON JACKSTANDS. It doesnt hurt to add that extra 2ft of clearance in case things get a little too soggy. In the end be smart stay safe things can be replaced people can't.

RustyBucket 09-07-2017 12:58 AM

I'm about 3hrs. up the coast from you and have had 2 days of hard labor securing our place. I'm near the Space Center and live far enough inland that I don't think a storm surge will flood us. I'm a Miami native and moved north in '05. Seen some hurricanes in 66yrs. and I agree, this one is pretty ominious. My shop is an old pole barn/horse barn that I poured a floor in and enclosed. I put covers on my trucks and removed loose stuff from the overhead. We have an old frame house with BIG OLD oak trees overhanging it. Love the shade but they're not as appealing right now. We're not going to risk getting squashed and are leaving as soon as we determine which way to go to get away from the storm. Don't want to go too far but don't want to weather the storm in an 18' travel trailer either. Have options with kinfolks and friends in a variety of directions. We lost a few trees in Hurricane Matthew last November but luckily dodged a direct hit here. Best of luck to you down yonder and everyone else affected by this thing. STAY SAFE!!, there's more old trucks around. I drove my '71 to breakfast this morning and surely hope it's in the same shape next Wednesday.

Jcfcamaro 09-07-2017 01:24 AM

Stay safe and I hope everything goes good.

F.A.A.benny 09-07-2017 03:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 12secondnova (Post 8033761)
PUT EVERYTHING ON JACKSTANDS. It doesnt hurt to add that extra 2ft of clearance in case things get a little too soggy. In the end be smart stay safe things can be replaced people can't.

The guys that did this saved their rides in Houston. I'm originally from Palm Beach County Fl. and I remember Andrew. Personally if I had a nice ride Id move it if I could

special-K 09-07-2017 07:28 AM

I hope there isn't a 20' surge as I heard reported this morning. This one is a monster. You an only do so much and you can't drive them all to NC. Your beautiful Chevy truck would be stuck there anyway. I hope and pray it survives and your next step on it doesn't change.

Joesjunk 09-07-2017 07:50 AM

Best of luck to you, stay safe

Ol Blue K20 09-07-2017 07:54 AM

Best of luck to you. Stay safe

Canuckvetter 09-07-2017 08:08 AM

We have good friends in Boynton Beach and remember what Andrew did to them.
Stay safe. Sounds like you are well prepared. Will be thinking of all my friends in FL this weekend.
Michael

brian1971 09-07-2017 09:01 AM

Thanks to everyone for the support,I have a few sets of heavy duty jack stans and 4 blocks I took from local shipyard that are a foot tall that I could put cars up on.I think I am going to stay in my neighbors winter home they live in France and have a lot better built house than mine is.As of this morning it looks like Fort Lauderdale will take a direct hit,im really starting to get worried not so much for me but my older parents.They are going to stay with me during storm.I don't know how much more of this hurricane crap I can take,might be time to move after this.This is becoming a every year occurrence.
Thanks,
Brian

Grumpy old man 09-07-2017 09:39 AM

I lived on the west coast beach for many years and we would always stay for up to a cat 3 sitting at my best friends beach bar with the waves crashing around our feet with full off shore gear on ! I've seen guys water ski down the beach front road, anything even close to a 4-5 we left town , My daughter lives in South Beach Miami and her warehouse is in Wynwood , They've been packing up for days.Looks like we'll have company for the weekend if they can get out in time ? Back when hurricane Andrew hit I volunteered and was there as the storm hit .They evacuated everyone to the west of I-95 and that's where the worst damage hit , The looting started before the storm even past and they were stealing anything they could get their hands on including brand motor homes . We flew over a home depot in a national guard helicopter where the wall had blown out and there were hundreds of looters stealing everything in site . Homestead looked like someone had run a lawn mower over it from the air . one side of the street would have nothing left but the slab from the house and the other side of the street still had flowers in the yard . The hospital in Homestead had the security guard holding a 12 gauge at the front doors to keep the looters from raiding the pharmacy were the pharmacist was holed up with his .45 cal pistol . it was BAD for days even after the National Guard showed up . Water is the most important thing as they shut down the water systems to prevent salt water contamination . :smoke:

brian1971 09-07-2017 09:56 AM

Grumpy old man, I am pretty sure your daughter is in a evacuation zone I hope everything works out for them.Yeah I remember that after Andrew my dad and I drove down to homestead a week after the storm.There was a M1 tank driving down the street and Blackhawk helicopters flying all over the place looked like a third world country.I was lucky the other day bought about 15 cases of water at Family Dollar.I filled up all the vehicles the other day except my work van so I thought I'd be slick and go out a 2am last night to fill up well everyone else must of had same idea.Didn't find any gas all stations were out or huge lines around the block.

Hart_Rod 09-07-2017 10:01 AM

Best of luck Brian. Will be praying for ALL of Florida as well as all the people affected by Harvey.

72 tigger 09-07-2017 11:57 AM

Praying for you & all the other folks in FL

Ol Blue K20 09-07-2017 12:08 PM

I'm watching the news and it's not looking good. Don't risk staying if you're in a evacuation zone.

Andy4639 09-07-2017 12:21 PM

Be safe man. as stated all things but you can be replaced.

I'm headed down to our beach place tonight to get what little we have to get but I'm not staying. Insurance will take care of the trailer.
:chevy:

flashed 09-07-2017 12:30 PM

Im praying that everyone will be safe and really praying this thing changes course away from land .

demian5 09-07-2017 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brian1971 (Post 8033890)
I think I am going to stay in my neighbors winter home they live in France
Brian

Good luck getting a flight out!

Big Block 09-07-2017 01:12 PM

It's pretty overwhelming. I'll be praying for everyone's safety that's in the path of this hurricane. Live in central North Carolina. It's been 20 years since hurricane Fran hit us. We might even feel the effects of this one. We can only hope this thing turns and we don't get a direct hit. Stay safe everyone.

cooperhw 09-07-2017 01:24 PM

Good luck. Be safe.