The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/index.php)
-   67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/forumdisplay.php?f=115)
-   -   '68 Why did you do that (https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=578690)

dunyet 05-04-2013 09:30 AM

'68 Why did you do that

5 Attachment(s)
I purchased a 1968 chevrolet LWB about 2 years ago. At the time I purchased it i was just planning on a few upgrades and drive it. Then..... somehow I was searching on the internet and found this forum. I was Hooked! I've been quiet, not posting much at all, just gathering info and deciding a direction to take. Of course, At the time I purchase the truck I drove it home so my Wife knew it ran, "looked good", and was drivable. Hence the title, "Why did you do that".

Here's some pics the day I purchased it.

dunyet 05-04-2013 02:55 PM

Re: '68 Why did you do that

1 Attachment(s)
The wiring under the dash was severly hacked. I knew something was a little off, then the PO told me the radio didn't work without the engine running. I told him no, it should work with just the key in the "on" position....I was wrong. The truck literally had to be running for the radio to play..I wondered where or why he spliced into a hot from the alternator as that is the only wire that wasn't hot when the truck was not running. He then told me he and his father-in-law had put a homemade alarm on it. this turned out to be a toggle switch for the HEI distributor hot wire. With that being said the first thing i did was buy a new wiring harness. Hence, began the teardown....

dunyet 05-04-2013 03:04 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Once my Wife seen what I done to the wiring, she sat me down for a cup of coffee and explained that I had to finish the fence she had wanted in front of the house before I could play (I like to call it stress relief) with the truck. So after 6 months (fence was elaborate see pic) I was back on the truck. By this time I had done plenty of research on this site and with so many great builds and ideas I viewed it was all or nothing.

dunyet 05-04-2013 03:12 PM

5 Attachment(s)
while tearing it down I noticed the front fenders were new, the drivers side inner fender was rusted out, the passenger side didn't even have an inner. The rockers were replaced but the cab had alot of rust issues. I forgot to mention in the earlier post. the engine (after check the block number) is a 327 and the tranny is a TH400

dunyet 05-04-2013 03:31 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I know how much everyone likes pictures so I'll keep them coming to catch up on progress. :metal:

Of course I worked on the truck the next couple of months by the time Sept/Aug came last year I was in over my head. I was collecting parts and trying to cut the rot out of the cab.

dunyet 05-04-2013 03:38 PM

5 Attachment(s)
a few more rust repairs

dunyet 05-04-2013 03:42 PM

5 Attachment(s)
the drip rails above the winshield and doors were rusted out, I searched the forum here and found where several members had shaved them.... well that was a heck of a job! not quite finished with them, even now.

dunyet 05-04-2013 03:50 PM

5 Attachment(s)
I wasn't sure at this point if I would go back original suspension, or keep the Long Bed. I saw Project Havoc and seen where he cut the bed down and looked pretty straight fwd. Then, I got hooked on the way David's Slick 67 looked long and low, so I started down that path, but wanted to retain the inside bed height so I decided to go with some company I had never heard the name of "Porterbuilt" and get the mild rear drop. I haven't dealt directly with Nate yet, But Dave's a class act and have purchased several items since. Great quality. nuff said. here's the Mild Rear Drop. Of course with the loving support of my wife :m3:

dunyet 05-04-2013 03:54 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Here's a few more pics of the rear suspension being bolted then welded. don't laugh at my "Frame Stands" they worked great!

dunyet 05-04-2013 04:00 PM

At this point (around the end of Sept last year) I was out of $ and wanted to keep moving on the truck so I wouldn't lose motivation. Of course, I would catch up on the builds here on the forum but reframed from commenting as I felt there's no way mine will turn out as nice. Rust repair and paint stripping the Cab was high on my list but would get burned out from working on the same "garbage" all weekend and to be truthful I wasn't impressed with the firewall repairs I had made. I wanted that "slick" firewall look. So I cut it all out, not knowing when I would get material to make a new one. It was great stress relief!!

dunyet 05-04-2013 04:09 PM

5 Attachment(s)
At this point, I couldn't contain myself I had to work on something so I cut the frame and bed from a LWB to a SWB, Which is where the second "Why did you do that" come from. The Forum had several builds although LFD and Havoc were the builds I referred to most.

dunyet 05-04-2013 04:12 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Of Course, I cut some fish plates out and welded them on inside the frame rails. At this point my welds were looking much better.

gdavis 05-04-2013 04:12 PM

Well I see that you have done a lot. The truck will look good when you finish it. Just don't get in a hurry and do a job at a time or two at a time. Remember that the truck took 46 years to get that way. And it want get fixed over night. Gdavis

bruceman1968 05-04-2013 04:17 PM

Truck looks great. You have done a lot of work for the rust. Frame looks great to. You also did a great job on the fence. Subscribed! Can't wait to see what's next.

dunyet 05-04-2013 04:19 PM

5 Attachment(s)
After I hacked up the frame the bed was next was in pretty decent shape. having the ability to learn from others experience here on the forum was priceless....

dunyet 05-04-2013 04:21 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Here's a couple more of the front of the bed

dunyet 05-04-2013 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gdavis (Post 6051818)
Well I see that you have done a lot. The truck will look good when you finish it. Just don't get in a hurry and do a job at a time or two at a time. Remember that the truck took 46 years to get that way. And it want get fixed over night. Gdavis

thx

dunyet 05-04-2013 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bruceman1968 (Post 6051828)
Truck looks great. You have done a lot of work for the rust. Frame looks great to. You also did a great job on the fence. Subscribed! Can't wait to see what's next.

thanks alot

dunyet 05-04-2013 04:26 PM

Then I moved on to the rear of the bed...

dunyet 05-04-2013 04:28 PM

5 Attachment(s)
I forgot the pics:lol:

dunyet 05-04-2013 04:31 PM

5 Attachment(s)
And here's the whole bed welded up...which is how it sits today.

bruceman1968 05-04-2013 04:55 PM

The bed looks awesome. Nice job on that to. Have you thought about removing the center stake pocket?

dunyet 05-04-2013 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bruceman1968 (Post 6051900)
The bed looks awesome. Nice job on that to. Have you thought about removing the center stake pocket?

No, It hasn't crossed my mind. i look back at the pics now and i see what you're talking about. that's something that doesn't cost $ just time. good idea

dunyet 05-04-2013 06:14 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Nothing exciting in Dec. except a good deal on a 2003 5.3 LS motor:metal:

dunyet 05-04-2013 06:27 PM

5 Attachment(s)
After Christmas and the good deal on the 5.3 I read thru the forum and found it is possible to use the TH400 the Truck came with, but decided for the Overdrive instead. One of the machinist where I work rebuilds trannies on the side. All i had to do was find a core and $300 for rebuild. I found a 700r4 and so I had it rebuilt in Jan. he put the TCI kit for the shift soleniod and something about a corvette style servo. he said it should shift nice. we'll see.

All along I worked a little on the cab and a little on the Frame. Now that i knew I was going with a LS powerplant and already had the rear suspension. I begged to order the front mild dropmember from Porterbuilt. :smoke: